What licence to drive buses?

Evening all.

Fairly new to the site, been waiting in the wings for a while observing!! :blush:. Fantastic site btw!! :laughing:
As my user names suggests im currently a hgv mechanic (altho do a bit of agency work as and when i can :wink: , and contemplating changing to driving full time!)
Just wondering if any one knows what licence is required to drive a coach? Ill explain a little more…its a coach what ive prepared for test (MOT) on friday. Its not been tested as a psv because its not been used for hire or reward or to carry fare paying passengers! Its been tested as a ‘class 5’ which is what large motorhomes get tested as. im under the illusion that motorhomes are non hgv there for would this coach fall into the same catagory??

im class c & c+e if it makes any difference and the coach is 12500 kg unladen.

Thanks in advance.

Yes i think you are right. If the coach is not used for hire or reward, ie, fare paying passengers you are OK… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Doesn’t class 5 also include PCV’s? Don’t LGV’s come under class 7.

Category B

Motor vehicles with a maximum authorized mass not exceeding 3,500 kilogrammes (kg) and having not more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat (also with a trailer having a maximum mass which does not exceed 750 kg or the unladen mass of the tractor vehicle, where the maximum authorized mass of the combination does not exceed 3,500 kg).

Category C

Motor vehicles other than those in Category D and whose maximum authorized mass is over 3,500 kg (also with a trailer having a maximum mass which does not exceed 750 kg).

Category C 1
Motor vehicles other than those in Category D and whose maximum authorized mass is over 3,500 kg but not more than 7,500 kg (also with a trailer having a maximum mass which does not exceed 750 kg).

Category D

Motor vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and having more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat (also with a trailer having a maximum mass which does not exceed 750 kg).

Category D 1
Motor vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and having more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat but not more than 16 seats (also with a trailer having a maximum mass which does not exceed 750 kg).

Categories BE, CE, C1E, DE, D1E

Motor vehicles of Categories B, C, C1, D or D1 with a trailer having a maximum authorized mass of over 750 kg (except in Category B; see section headed “Trailer Driving Licences”).
In Categories C1E and D1E, the maximum authorized mass of the combination must not exceed 12,000 kg, and the maximum authorized mass of the trailer must not exceed the unladen mass of the tractor vehicle.
In Category D1E, the trailer must also not be used for the carriage of passengers.

Wasn’t there something roughly on here a while ago about this?

I think the answer went along the lines of that the bloke wanted to drive a unit not for hire or reward, but as a private vehicle.(I bet he has changed his mind now with the fuel price :laughing: ) I digress. The type of licence he would need still was a ‘C’ as the weight of the vehicle became the issue. In your case it may be slightly different, as you wouldn’t be using it to carry fare paying passengers, would it just be a weight issue in which case a class C licence may be ok. Or is it to do with vehicle type and a pcv would be required. A tricky one, and may be a telephone call to VOSA or DVLA would be your best bet to be sure :confused:

Sorry Guys I would have said it was obvious.
If you are not going to CARRY PASSENGERS and your vehicle is over 7,500 then it is a “C” Licence which you already have.

nige8:
If you are not going to CARRY PASSENGERS and your vehicle is over 7,500 then it is a “C” Licence which you already have.

Remember that, with a few exceptions, the licence category you require depends on whether the vehicle is constructed or adapted to carry those passengers, irrespective of whether you are actually carrying them.

(the few exceptions are things like “project” buses, vintage vehicles, vehicle recovery, etc.)

i.e. you can’t just drive a “normal” bus on a C license just because it’s empty of passengers.

MrFlibble:

nige8:

Remember that, with a few exceptions, the licence category you require depends on whether the vehicle is constructed or adapted to carry those passengers, irrespective of whether you are actually carrying them.

(the few exceptions are things like “project” buses, vintage vehicles, vehicle recovery, etc.)

i.e. you can’t just drive a “normal” bus on a C license just because it’s empty of passengers.

Agree, so I’d say in this case you’d need a cat. D. as you won’t be exempt.

Thanks for the replies lads…
guess that means im missing me jolly out to the test centre this week then… :cry: :frowning: :unamused: :laughing:

Are their not some exemptions buried somewhere in the statue book which allow something under repair / road testing / recovery?

Welcome Greasemonkey

macplaxton:
Are their not some exemptions buried somewhere in the statue book which allow something under repair / road testing / recovery?

A driver with a D (bus) license can drive a PCV recovery vehicle (under some restrictions), but I can’t find anything the other way around.

You can also drive a bus on a car license as long as it’s not being used for hire or reward, isn’t carrying more than 8 passengers, and is at least 30 years old.

I’m sure there are other regulations allowing things like project buses, but I can’t find it ATM.

bugcos:
Welcome Greasemonkey

And from me :wink:

We will soon be taking over the forum :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

macplaxton:

Yes, a cat. C holder can drive a vehicle in cat. D if:

a) They’ve held the full licence for two years
b) The vehicle is defective and being driven to a place of repair / road tested
c) Not carrying passengers

There will be more to this yet to be revealed i’m sure.

If you passed your test before Jan 97 it is possible you have grandfather rights to drive large buses NOT for hire or reward. BUT, as an LGV driver &[depending on your age) your license may well have been in & out of Swansea for medical renewals etc. & the exemption might have been removed without you noticing, which is what happened to me.

Back in '95 i used to deliver new buses on Trade Plates (mostly trucks, but some buses) & I knew i was legal to do so.

Back in the olden days…when i used to drive charabangs…we never had to worry about things like that…cos no one had a licence anyhow…

Thanks for the welcomes and replies chaps!
i asked at test centre when i took a trailer for test today about what licence was required for a bus…started abit of a debate there as well!!! :laughing: :laughing:
Like has been suggested i think ill have to give DVLA a ring to find out for definite! :astonished:
I will post back with what they say…

You can drive a cat D on a cat C licence only if you are a taking it to a place of repair.

The vehicle in question will not come under a d licence anyway because it is a motorhome. The correct licence for this is a cat c because of the weight (probably)!

burnie1:
The vehicle in question will not come under a d licence anyway because it is a motorhome.

Is it? It says “coach” in the post and “bus” in the title :laughing: