What is wrong with drivers nowadays?

I will tell you what, the amount that insist on not wearing their seatbelts, and don’t give me that same old sob story of how it’s not comfortable and the daft tricks to silence the buzzer.
Here is a scenario for the non believers, you crash and help is a long way away, your rib cage has punctured the vital organs and death is slow and painfull as the blood loss kills you, the lungs fill up with blood and basically you drown .
Drivers that have a medical certificate for exemption don’t waste your time posting .
For the muppets ,explain away your laziness
and stupidity, if injured, pay your own medical treatment .

In anything but a bus I wear a belt. I was on the buses for a while and learnt very quickly that I didn’t want to be tied in the seat when some twonk decided I was fair game. Yes it did happen more than once. Another reason is that the bus belts were lap only and connected only to the seat which was secured by four bolts through the floor. So if you did hit something hard, one, maybe two things could happen: 1: you and the seat could go out through the screen 2: You’d double over at the waist because of having no sash and smash your face into the wheel. Or both could happen. On one occasion I went around a bend in the road and the bloody seat came out of the floor, leaving me stood on the platform reaching for the handbrake. Bloody glad I wasn’t wearing the belt that time !

If I drove a taxi of the type used here which are normal sedan/saloon type cars for the most part, I wouldn’t wear one there either, again because of personal security (assault wise).

In a car or lorry, it’s always on. Why get wound up over the berks that won’t wear one ? It’s their life. Darwin awards come to mind.

I’ve always put mine on as autopilot habit.

Probably had something to do with the “Clunk click” campaign by shirtlifter Saville all those years ago. :blush:

I’ve never heard of someone who burned to death because they were stuck fast in their burning vehicle with a seatbelt that never opened when required to… I think the “rumour” we must have all heard over the years is but an urban myth. :bulb:

Id say the biggest issue of what is wrong with drivers nowadays is that they cant help sticking their nose in to everyone else’s business and coming on to forums to whinge about it.
If other drivers dont want to wear their seatbelt, whats it got to do with you, never mind get your knickers all twisted about it?
I always wear mine in the car but in an hgv I didnt. I found them to be far too restrictive and I struggled to drive with it on. No idea why but its a fact.
And as for pay my own medical bills if I get injured, I do. Its what my tax goes towards

I’ll answer from 4 points of my view.

1. 3 Days a week I run around in a 18tn doing mulitdrop, no more then 5 minutes till the next drop. Seatbelts are useless, not going any faster then 40MPH, Im not going to cause a crash, if some ■■■ wants to ram my back end I’ll be like bro I didn’t feel a thing.

2. Police/VOSA cuts… Can’t last time I saw a VOSA stop was at lymn Truck Stop whilst I popped though to get it washed.

3. The Other 2 days, I trunk CE, once I hit that motorway that belt is on and is tight. It’s like ■■■■■■■ another country out there these days.

4. I ride a motorbike, you’d think a helmet would be the save kind of thing but it actually doesn’t translate over.

The Bradford plod are having a bit of a purge on “bad drivers”, concentrating on four points which cause accidents.
These are - speeding, mobile phone use, drink / drugs, and not wearing seat belts.
But how does not wearing a seat belt “cause an accident”?

It feels wrong not to wear one.

I dont particularly care if people i dont know die or suffer .

What winds me up is drivers not securing their children properly .

Whether its mothers holding babies in their arms or having 5 unrestrained kids in back seat .

Short sharp shock in prison seems more readonable thañ 3 points or a fine .

Below the waist is the most vulnerable part in a hgv, if you’re not wearing a belt, and don’t suffer crush/trap injuries to the lower limbs, chances are you’re off out the window! Either way it’s not pretty.

mobile phones. u know when ones in front. erratic speed. had one today in a van and he was glued then he noticed last sec he was just about to miss his slip exit and shot across.

toby1234abc:
Here is a scenario for the non believers, you crash and help is a long way away, your rib cage has punctured the vital organs and death is slow and painfull as the blood loss kills you, the lungs fill up with blood and basically you drown .

Drowning is supposed to be the best way to die.

tommymanc:
I’ll answer from 4 points of my view.

1. 3 Days a week I run around in a 18tn doing mulitdrop, no more then 5 minutes till the next drop. Seatbelts are useless, not going any faster then 40MPH, Im not going to cause a crash, if some ■■■ wants to ram my back end I’ll be like bro I didn’t feel a thing.
    believe me you really don’t know how wrong you are. I was rear ended by a car I was in a loaded artic doing 40. The brush I had lasted weeks

2. Police/VOSA cuts… Can’t last time I saw a VOSA stop was at lymn Truck Stop whilst I popped though to get it washed.
    it don’t mean you won’t get spotted

3. The Other 2 days, I trunk CE, once I hit that motorway that belt is on and is tight. It’s like [zb] another country out there these days.
    as in 1 you don’t need to be on the motorway to get pushed out your seat or hit that hard that you could momentarily loose controll

4. I ride a motorbike, you’d think a helmet would be the save kind of thing but it actually doesn’t translate over.

I bet you’d stand a better chance of survival of living with the helmet than without

boredwivdrivin:
I dont particularly care if people i dont know die or suffer .

What winds me up is drivers not securing their children properly .

Whether its mothers holding babies in their arms or having 5 unrestrained kids in back seat .

Short sharp shock in prison seems more readonable thañ 3 points or a fine .

No not prison make em spend a day caring for a child that has a disability such as brain damage, washing toileting them and having to feed them . Harsh visual treatment.

Always in a car never have in hgv, rather have the option an chance it jumping out should it all start going wrong dont fancy the trailer coming through the back of the cab into me.

I didn’t think trucks were dangerous when you drove one that didn’t have them fitted, I also didn’t think it was dangerous not to wear one when they were fitted but not legally required to wear them, the only time I did put it on back then was when the road was white over with snow, all other times it was left off.
I do wear it at all times now though, seems a waste of £100 getting caught without it on, and certainly doesn’t bother me if someone chooses to not wear it, as long as they don’t come on here moaning about getting caught.

axletramp:
The Bradford plod are having a bit of a purge on “bad drivers”, concentrating on four points which cause accidents.
These are - speeding, mobile phone use, drink / drugs, and not wearing seat belts.
But how does not wearing a seat belt “cause an accident”?

I would say that it is a good indication of somebody that has a disregard for the laws of the road, if they don’t care about seat belts, what else have they neglected?

I sometimes drive motors that are old enough to not have them fitted.I wear them otherwise as there are so many idiots on the roads.

I could not care less if people are stupid and ignorant enough not to wear one. When a driver is stopped for not wearing a belt they should be forced to see some of the horrific injuries caused by not wearing one.

Newmercman is quite correct. It is the same arrogant drivers that think they are above the law and probably disregard other laws.

Some of the above comments just show how naive some are about the consequences of not wearing one.

Belt up.

I always wear mine,my choice.
If someone else decides they are too 'ard to wear one that upto them.