What is this world.coming to

ProudNewbie:

edd1974:
I’m a biker when I’m not a trucker.
Few months back I was on a main busy road stopped due to red light. Car in front set off . What I didn’t realise under his car was plank.of laminate flooring on the road. I went over it skidded and came off. .all the car drivers were to busy beeping there horns… some Muslim fella.and a woman came over and helped me up checked I was ok etc.
No body else did

I’m probably opening a can of worms here but Just out of interest, why did you have to mention a “Muslim” fella and a woman instead of just a fella and a woman?

No reason at all he was a Muslim fella .

He came to help. Hence why I said it.

Think your the one maybe trying to see something that doesn’t exist

chester1:
But he is in the road next to or in front of a truck and in all probability the door open hardly the actions of a scammer…

Er, thats exactly the actions a scammer would take if they were wanting someone to stop

birminghammail.co.uk/news/m … r-14574777

Took me all of 4 seconds to find an example.
Dont blame me as the problem, blame people like these two

The-Snowman:

switchlogic:
You would never stop for someone laying in the road?

Nope
I have zero intention of becoming a statistic.
I dont care if the chances of it being a scam are 1 in 500. With my luck, id be that 1 in 500

I’d look at the set-up. If it’s a young geezer in the road with others standing nearby, then I would be wary of it being a scam.

If it’s an older guy, all by himself with a bona fide vehicle, rather than some fairground tug - then I would almost certainly stop.

del trotter:

P Stoff:
He’s had a stent fitted. NHS let him down badly but where we live they are [zb].

How did the NHS let him down, they fitted a stent, try having a heart attack in the US and see how you get on.

The NHS failed him because when the ambulance was called they said it was a non emergency and could be up to two hours. So the manager who had got there by then said sod that and put him in his car and drive him to a local doctor’s surgery. The surgery refused to see him as he wasn’t a patient. So thankfully the manager drove him 15 miles to the local hospital and took him in through the ambulance entrance. They weren’t that interested and sat him down. About 15 mins later he is then in an ambulance on his way to another hospital as his condition was that serious. He then had another attack in the ambulance. So I’d say the treatment from the onset was pretty poor. The treatment from the final hospital was exemplary BUT he could have died waiting.

The main reason the manager took him by car was that when he was younger something similar happened and the bloke that time died in his car.

That good enough for you.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

The-Snowman:

switchlogic:
You would never stop for someone laying in the road?

Nope
I have zero intention of becoming a statistic.
I dont care if the chances of it being a scam are 1 in 500. With my luck, id be that 1 in 500

Wow. You have my sympathies, can’t be easy having such a fearful view of the world around you

And I bet it’s more like 1 in many thousands than 500

switchlogic:
can’t be easy having such a fearful view of the world around you

You say fearful, I say cautious and wary.
I don’t shake at the outside world. I don’t wrap myself in cotton wool before heading outside, I dont peek round every corner and I don’t view everyone I meet with suspicion but there’s a difference between that and being cautious

switchlogic:
And I bet it’s more like 1 in many thousands than 500

Doesn’t make the slightest difference how long the odds are

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- … t-41462297
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n … e-40918109

Whether you or anyone else wants to accept it or not I really don’t care but it happens. Whether its 1 in 500, 1 in many thousands or 1 in a million, if you ask any of the victims im betting they dont get a great deal of comfort from knowing it was just bad odds.

EDIT: Just for clarity, and to clear things up a bit in case of any crossed wires, I’m not saying I would never help anyone ever. Im talking about driving alone on a quiet road. If its a crowded area or I have passengers for example then I might (after assessing the situation) stop at that point. What I won’t do is rush out without thinking no matter what

I like to think I would. What I wouldn’t do though is stop and watch like a lot of other people do often just to be nosy.
I.E. when there is a RTA and so many people slow down on the opposite carriagway just to get a good look or if there is someone being attended to by ambulance on a street and people just standing round watching like WTF?

Also I think Snowman reads the daily mail too much.

I wouldn’t be able to ignore it. I would have to stop. My conscience wouldn’t let me.

I do find it hilarious how on so many threads people would knock out drivers, forkies, managers etc but not confident to check out someone in the street. Maybe I’ll live to regret it.

adam277:
Also I think Snowman reads the daily mail too much.

Do you see any daily mail links?

The-Snowman:

chester1:
But he is in the road next to or in front of a truck and in all probability the door open hardly the actions of a scammer…

Er, thats exactly the actions a scammer would take if they were wanting someone to stop

not really the example given in this case is it… granted if it looks iffy drive around or stop with door locked give urself and escape route and call for help but a driver out cold in front of a liveried truck

chester1:
granted if it looks iffy drive around or stop with door locked give urself and escape route and call for help but a driver out cold in front of a liveried truck

It could be the driver out cold has himself been robbed after stopping to try and help somebody.

chester1:

The-Snowman:

chester1:

not really the example given in this case is it… granted if it looks iffy drive around or stop with door locked give urself and escape route and call for help but a driver out cold in front of a liveried truck

True. I’ll give you that one.

The-Snowman:
Doesn’t make the slightest difference how long the odds are

Actually it makes all the difference. If there was a 50% chance I’d get attacked if I stopped to help I wouldn’t stop either, as it is I would as I can see in the vast vast vast majority of cases I’ll be fine. If you never did anything that had some risk of danger you’d never leave the house, and even then there’s a chance you could be in danger at home be it from a scalding kettle or a masked intruder. Odds make a big difference to how we live our lives, almost everything we do carries an element of risk, we just manage it in different ways.

P Stoff:

del trotter:

P Stoff:
He’s had a stent fitted. NHS let him down badly but where we live they are [zb].

How did the NHS let him down, they fitted a stent, try having a heart attack in the US and see how you get on.

The NHS failed him because when the ambulance was called they said it was a non emergency and could be up to two hours. So the manager who had got there by then said sod that and put him in his car and drive him to a local doctor’s surgery. The surgery refused to see him as he wasn’t a patient. So thankfully the manager drove him 15 miles to the local hospital and took him in through the ambulance entrance. They weren’t that interested and sat him down. About 15 mins later he is then in an ambulance on his way to another hospital as his condition was that serious. He then had another attack in the ambulance. So I’d say the treatment from the onset was pretty poor. The treatment from the final hospital was exemplary BUT he could have died waiting.

The main reason the manager took him by car was that when he was younger something similar happened and the bloke that time died in his car.

999 Ambulance Service, is the patient breathing?

If you say no, they are on their way, if he is blue, choking or bleeding they will explain what to do. The NHS are not ■■■■, the information they were given was ■■■■.

Wheel Nut:

P Stoff:

del trotter:

P Stoff:

If you say no, they are on their way, if he is blue, choking or bleeding they will explain what to do. The NHS are not [zb], the information they were given was [zb].

The information given was he has passed out in the road. Sweating profusely and short of breath with pains in his stomach and tingling fingers.

Doesn’t sound like toothache to me.

I’m a staunch support of the NHS but their actions that day, or specifically that operator got it wrong. Everyone can make a mistake. Everyone should accept they made a mistake. He’s not seeking compensation and he’s extremely glad to be alive and the treatment he did get eventually was fantastic.

One day, maybe 15 or 20 years ago I was delivering to Travis Perkins in Lydney in Gloucestershire. On the approach to a roundabout I had to pull round a coach which was stopped in a ridiculous place, and as I did so I looked across and saw that the driver was laying across the steering wheel. I thought “Silly twonk, what a daft place to stop for a kip” and carried on.

On the way back I saw all of the ambulances around the coach, and the ambulancemen running around giving the driver emergency resuscitation. To this day, I am haunted by that.

Wheel Nut:

If you say no, they are on their way, if he is blue, choking or bleeding they will explain what to do. The NHS are not [zb], the information they were given was [zb].

:open_mouth:

Yes the patient is breathing but seems to be suffering from lack of oxygen supply for some reason I don’t know of ( resulting in Ischemia although didn’t even know what it means at the time ).What can I do for them to keep them alive with no organ and/or other tissue damage during the next 4 minutes let alone 2 hours while the operator tries to provide a crash course in emergency paramedic procedures and anatomical knowledge.Oh wait I’ll just lie and say the patient has stopped breathing.Maybe that shows what I think of triage ( rationing ) all to save employers’ and corporate tax payers the cash needed for a proper health service.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ischemia

Then assuming the lie is successful the patient then faces all the implications of a staff starved A and E department let alone effectively non existent intensive care provision.Or the downgrading of surgical capability meaning transfer to another hospital after going through all the triage process,on arrival.NHS made by the employer classes for the benefit of the employer classes all dressed up under the Labour banner to make the naive working classes believe it’s good for them.

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

:open_mouth:

Yes the patient is breathing but seems to be suffering from lack of oxygen supply for some reason I don’t know of ( resulting in Ischemia although didn’t even know what it means at the time ).What can I do for them to keep them alive with no organ and/or other tissue damage during the next 4 minutes let alone 2 hours while the operator tries to provide a crash course in emergency paramedic procedures and anatomical knowledge.Oh wait I’ll just lie and say the patient has stopped breathing.Maybe that shows what I think of triage ( rationing ) all to save employers’ and corporate tax payers the cash needed for a proper health service.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ischemia

Then assuming the lie is successful the patient then faces all the implications of a staff starved A and E department let alone effectively non existent intensive care provision.Or the downgrading of surgical capability meaning transfer to another hospital after going through all the triage process,on arrival.NHS made by the employer classes for the benefit of the employer classes all dressed up under the Labour banner to make the naive working classes believe it’s good for them.

Geoffrey

F off

P Stoff:
He’s not seeking compensation

:unamused:

Their are some prize pricks on this forum