What is the point

Of a wagon and drag setup? I’m honestly trying to find an answer to why having a wagon and drag would be a better option over an artic. Not having a dig or anything, just curious at why some use wagon and drag and artics in the same fleet when it would appear that artic is a better option.

Flexibility…even more with de-mount bodies.
Regards. John.

You can get a little more space & you can just drop the drawbar to use it as a rigid. With an artic it’s all or nothing.

The maximum individual truck length is 12 metres, articulated truck and trailer length is 16.5 metres and road trains are allowed up to 18.75 metres.
So for light but bulky goods I’d go for the wagon an drag option.

Some delivery points are not accessible with an artic,with a w&g the drag can be dropped off and swapped later,allowing deliveries to be made, especially if the load is multi delivery around Town centres or Villages.Same carrying capacity more flexibility.
Those who know can correct me if I am wrong

Handy for small depots that don’t have room or don’t want to unload artics to then load onto the small trucks.

Easier to bring a few wagon and drags up, loads already for dayshift. Drop boxes put other ridgeds underneath them off you go.

Did a shift with B&Q many moons ago doing home delivery they did it this way.

My old gaff, had a bit of tight entrance. A good artic driver could get in or out, without hitting anything, but a wagon and drag could drive in and out without bother. In the end we just spec’d all deliveries as rigid or wagon and drag only.

Ive done a lot of work with wag an drag. In devon and cornwall its easier to drop the drag to get access to a few drops. Then pick it up later.

Kenny1975:
Handy for small depots that don’t have room or don’t want to unload artics to then load onto the small trucks.

Easier to bring a few wagon and drags up, loads already for dayshift. Drop boxes put other ridgeds underneath them off you go.

Did a shift with B&Q many moons ago doing home delivery they did it this way.

Argos and New Look do this.

You get an extra bit of floor space thats the main reason normally.

Drop the drag at one place and let them unload it while you pop off elsewhere to another delivery. Then pick it up afterwards, unless, like one local chap with a wagon and pup tipper used to do, you ‘accidently’ forget to! :wink:

Pete.

The likes of that well known Big Green Parcel Machine use them as they tend to use the wagon during the day then on night have the draw on to take down to hub for swap

They both have there advantages and disadvantages some of which have been explained on here.All depends on the type of load you are carrying especially with bulky light loads. Also depends on the type of W&D. An A frame takes a lot more skill to go backwards than a fixed axle drawbar or an artic. In a lot of cases they will not even be reversed.

I now work for wren kitchens delivering to peoples homes. I would love to see a artic drive to the places I have to go citys, towns, villages and every other place where people want a kitchen delivered to. I drop my drag off at stores or laybys then swap box’s over then when iv finished with one box. :laughing:

As most others have said. You can cube out a W+D with more light weight stuff than you can with an artic.

Plus, use the wagon during the day, add trailer for night trunking.

Spar use the drag as a sort of mini depot. You can drop it almost anywhere, then go back and transfer from the drag to the wagon, then go do more deliveries.

Edmundsons seem to forget where they leave their trailers - the same one seems to have been left in the same spot for a few weeks and they leave them in awkward places ie opposite junctions so you can’t see round it, on bends or opposite entrances in use 24 hours :unamused: :unamused:

The other benefit of a wagon and drag is for high value secured loads. You can put drop one in the drag and seal that up, then drop two in the wagon and seal that up. Unlike with an artic, drop one doesn’t have to break the seals on drop two’s load to access their own product.

animal:
The likes of that well known Big Green Parcel Machine use them as they tend to use the wagon during the day then on night have the draw on to take down to hub for swap

Who also cone off most of the layby the drags are dumped in during the day so that nobody else can use it (unless you move the cones like me).