What is the meaning of this sign

I know it is to allow access to vehicles for the purpose of loading within a restricted zone, but I am trying to find out exactly what vehicles are allowed to load in the zone, there are no other clues apart from a picture so could there be a limit for example of only allowing vehicles over a certain size or weight? I don’t know where to start looking. The reason for asking is because I have a friend who has a shop inside the zone and needs to get his car in there to load his goods for delivery but the local traffic wardens keep chasing him off with the threat of a £70 ticket, he is concidering buying a small truck just so he can load outside his shop as he sees no other way around it.
Is there a legal minimum weight or size with a sign like this?

“Except for loading by goods vehicles” and at the times stated construction of use regulations would not a class car as a goods vehicle

jimti:
I know it is to allow access to vehicles for the purpose of loading within a restricted zone, but I am trying to find out exactly what vehicles are allowed to load in the zone, there are no other clues apart from a picture so could there be a limit for example of only allowing vehicles over a certain size or weight? I don’t know where to start looking. The reason for asking is because I have a friend who has a shop inside the zone and needs to get his car in there to load his goods for delivery but the local traffic wardens keep chasing him off with the threat of a £70 ticket, he is concidering buying a small truck just so he can load outside his shop as he sees no other way around it.

At first I was going to suggest ignoring it and let it go to appeal. However it seems as though the sign is correct, or at least it is not alone.

It seems as though lorries are allowed, cars are not, even for loading. :unamused:

sign.JPG

jimti:

In general it just exactly means “goods vehicle”. You could contact the local council and ask for a copy of their Traffic Regulation Order to see exactly what, if any weights are intended. Although there is clearly none signed.
Here’s an interesting thread for you to read, although it will still involve speaking to the local council about it.
forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/i … 70855.html

Thank you everyone for your replies,
Would a traffic regulation order be specifically for each sign or would it just be that particular councils policy for the whole area?

Mike-C:
In general it just exactly means “goods vehicle”. You could contact the local council and ask for a copy of their Traffic Regulation Order to see exactly what, if any weights are intended. Although there is clearly none signed.
Here’s an interesting thread for you to read, although it will still involve speaking to the local council about it.

jimti:
Thank you everyone for your replies,
Would a traffic regulation order be specifically for each sign or would it just be that particular councils policy for the whole area?

Mike-C:

Usually the stretch of road that the sign applies to.