What is the job situation

Hello forum people.

I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions would be grateful if you could.

So was thinking of maybe getting a LGV license but was wondering what the job situation is like, ideally in north(ish) of Scotland.

I am sure it’s bleak but you never know.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Have no idea what the LGV driving work situation is like in Northern Scotland but it appears to be somewhat bleak across most of the UK. You will find plenty of advice on here, especially related to the current work situation. Some posters are reporting it to the worst ever :frowning: .

To work up to C+E will cost you £2k upwards so think hard before you decide to go down the LGV route.

I live in Devon, I passed my class C in May and my C+E last week, I have not had any work at all even though I am registered with 5 agencies.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

Tazbug

it depends on how much time and effort you put into finding a job in my opinion. i found a full time job 3 days after passing my class 2 license. i then wanted a change 6 months later and within the same week i found another job. in a year and a hlaf i have changed full time permanent jobs 4 times due to more money or better job and have only had to spend at the most 2 weeks looking before i got one.
some will say lucky but i searched for hours everyday and if you put the effort in something will come along for you
also i registered with 1 agency had 1 days temp before i got my job but i think there a waste of time and wouldnt bother with agency again

It’s quote bad in Scotland but slowly picking up. You need to really want to do this job though to put up with the shortage and everything else to go with.

Thanks for that advice.

If you were an employer why would you hire somebody?

Would it be Experience or would it be more that you thought the person would fit in there, i.e was “one of us”.

Thing is I am and always have been pretty individual and wouldn’t really say I am one of any group. I guess recruitment is all professional and adheres to the employment laws. But in essence a recruiter(or HR) obviously sees it through their eyes only and can choose who ever they take too best if they like.

ram007:
Thanks for that advice.

Would it be Experience or would it be more that you thought the person would fit in there, i.e was “one of us”.

Thing is I am and always have been pretty individual and wouldn’t really say I am one of any group. I guess recruitment is all professional and adheres to the employment laws. But in essence a recruiter(or HR) obviously sees it through their eyes only and can choose who ever they take too best if they like.

Someone once told me (when I had no experience) but that despite my lack of experience, she knew I was very professional and good at what I done and she could tell by the way I spoke the industry etc :unamused:

But me personally, I would say it would be up to the individual to impress me enough in an interview and even if they failed that I’d take them on a short test drive because some people just don’t do well in interviews.

The other thing you need to take into account, coupled with the cost of getting the licences is how much you’d probably get paid per hour in your neck of the woods. Here in the Midlands, Class 2 is £7 to £8, and Class 1 is £8 upwards. Those are agency rates. The companies I have applied to directly are paying LESS than that!!!

Saratoga:
The other thing you need to take into account, coupled with the cost of getting the licences is how much you’d probably get paid per hour in your neck of the woods. Here in the Midlands, Class 2 is £7 to £8, and Class 1 is £8 upwards. Those are agency rates. The companies I have applied to directly are paying LESS than that!!!

Ouch that is quite low, I could get more training as a brickie. But then I know it something i could be happy doing so that outweighs the salary. Maybe find some other way of making money on the side. Start up some trucker youtube videos! haha.

ram007:
Maybe find some other way of making money on the side. Start up some trucker youtube videos! haha.

Yeah, but they’ll be free online and not paid for, so you’ll not be making money there. Those that create don’t want money but enjoy the making and showing people what it’s like.

In the Newbie section on this forum there is a link to ‘so you want to be a truck driver’ thread, it might be worth giving that a read before you jump in :wink:

ram007:

Saratoga:

Ouch that is quite low, I could get more training as a brickie. But then I know it something i could be happy doing so that outweighs the salary. Maybe find some other way of making money on the side. Start up some trucker youtube videos! haha.

Me and a few other’s do this, but the problem is the income you get from it isn’t huge. I don’t do the videos for the income, I do it just for fun. That also aside, to actually make money you need to have your own music and not anyone elses.

I am currently in negotiation with a bus company who need 40 more drivers by next January but specifically want new drivers. The cynic in me says that they may be able to pay a little less (though I have no idea what pay is on offer) but their reasoning is that they would rather have new drivers who come without baggage and are prepared to adopt the companies working practices.

If the negotiations are successfull, I’ll give the details on here so people can have a crack at it - assuming there are some wannabe bus drivers out there.

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

National Express’s training figure is £2000 and it’s a 10 day course with one instructor and two students, trained on a full auto bus, single or double decker. The single was a Leyland Lynx and the double was a Metrobus, with the test on a B10B or a B10M ex-gas bus.

The repayment figures were £500 every 6 months, so if you quit within 6 months you had £2000 to pay, and by the time you’ve been there 2 years you don’t have to pay anything back. The local pay rate down here is £8.74 and overtime is the same as the standard rate. Standard duty is 7.5 hours plus your break on top, usually about 45m to an hour. However, expect some spreads at 4-5 hour lunch break.

Don’t expect the modern pay rate to change, the only way you’d get more money is by working more hours at the regular rate. No different rate for earlies or lates and the depot I worked at had a 4am start and a 1am finish for drivers. HTH :wink:

Your question above about why would an employer hire has different answers for different employers.

Small hauliers will want someone independent and able, totally reliable and will be quite happy with loner types or those with individual personalities.

Whereas large logistics companies tick boxes, if they can tick the right boxes you’re in if not you aint.

You are best placed to know what potential employers there are in your area.

Thanks again for your replies people.

The other thing I’m thinking is to emigrate to Australia, now as you know big country, big agricultural industry and hence big haulage industry, anyone know anything about this, would love to move there… I think the recession didn’t hit as hard over there. Any tips?

It took me 3 years to get a driving job,i have a clean licence and driven in the uk and europe since 1990,all my emails were ignored,calling firms,the first thing they ask is where you are from and hang up,if live too far away.

toby1234abc:
It took me 3 years to get a driving job,i have a clean licence and driven in the uk and europe since 1990,all my emails were ignored,calling firms,the first thing they ask is where you are from and hang up,if live too far away.

I get asked if it is for you husband :unamused: when I say no they tell me no jobs but when a male calls up there are jobs :neutral_face:

Surely that’s sexist and would fall foul of some discrimination act these days?

Saratoga:
Surely that’s sexist and would fall foul of some discrimination act these days?

Yep but trying to prove could be hard as they could say they were set up