What is the furthest overland by a trucknet member?

bestbooties:
When I watch these moon landings,as the camera pans around the moonscape, I am half expecting to see a Willi Betz Merc parked up. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

…and a Brit run out of money :laughing:

& a german camper van holding everyone up

and an F Troop changing a wheel. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

mushroomman:
and an F Troop changing a wheel. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And a Brit waiting for a permit or shift change !!

But seriously ! My furthest trip was Glasgow to Sharja. I’ve got a picture on here somewhere of me and my unit next to the Sharja Fort

Then load Jebel Ali,which is between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, to Doha and then Doha to Jordan overlooking Bethlehem. Empty to Allepo, load for yarmouth.
And Rick Ellis went UK to Salala in Oman, close to the border with yemen.
GS

bestbooties:
Don’t know what it’s like these days,but when I was doing M/E in the '70’s and '80’s,it didn’t matter where you went to,Willi Betz was always there first!.
On Ferdy’s Toprun site there’s a lot of trucks running out to Mongolia,including a firm called Fixameyer,someone told me that was also Willi Betz,anyone confirm that?
When I watch these moon landings,as the camera pans around the moonscape, I am half expecting to see a Willi Betz Merc parked up. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i was under the impression that fixemeyer was the old hungarocamion?wich is now owned by betz?

jj72:

bestbooties:

…and a Brit run out of money :laughing:

And no permit

i would put Hungaricamion on the list as well…they were the fore runners of a lot of long distance work…and after the fall of communism…became part of the Willy Betz Group long after the 70s 80s.
I too would put Top Run as the furthest travellers overland…but i beg to differ.
I dont believe that Australia cannot be reached completely overland, there is a large stretch of water to cross first.
I remember a lot of australians use to drive old V.W. camper vans 3/4 of the way and then have to get a ship.

Fixemer was the name and they were caught out for :

The brothers Joachim and Christian Fixemer were considered to be guilty of illegal recruitment of hand d’ foreign work, of diversion of wages, corruption and forgery in writing. The judgement envisages a three years imprisonment of for Joachim Fixemer and two years and eight month for his/her brother. A former collaborator who belonged to management was condemned to one year and six months of suspended sentence.

Alta Vista Translation.

I dont think they were ever owned by Willie Betz but Willie and his staff got caught in the same BAG and Police raids in Germany.

I cant quite remember, Did they have a place in Remich?

toprun.ch/truck/07-2006/Lets … /index.htm

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQENNm_3K0

Another company that got their wrist slapped for a similar thing (to Betz) was Kralowetz,

The Betz case will probably follow the precedent of two earlier ones in 2001-2. The
Saarland firm of Fixemer, with 1000 trucks, was convicted of tax and social
insurance scams, and of corrupting officials in Azerbajan and Georgia to gain
CEMT (Council of European Ministers of Transport) licences which give
‘cabotage’ or intra-European carriage rights. It then converted its East European
drivers to what German TV called ‘Asphalt Slaves’ in much the same way as
their sisters might become white slaves, making them work up to 18 hours a day
but paying them only for the ‘legal’ hours. The result was that the most they
might actually make was Euro 350.

The Austrian-owned but Luxembourg-based Kralowetz group, with 700 trucks,
was up to the same dodge, and working its Bulgarian and Slovakian staff up to
400 hours a month driving up to 30,000 kilometres. Its manager was jailed, the
company closed down, and the drivers flown back east with suspicious rapidity.
A high Luxembourg Transport Ministry official, in charge of CEMT licences,
has been suspended pending investigations. The Luxembourg Prime Minister
talked of ‘grey areas (in European transport legislation CTH) exploited by
people who display impressive criminal energy’. The Luxembourg trade union
chief said ‘the situation is replicated all over Europe’.

Hungarocamion were not Willie Betz either, they were originally the government owned transport company in Hungary, like Somat in Bulgaria.

Hungarocamion was privatised and is now in yellow livery trading as Waberers.

Diesel Dave might like to translate this.

Die Hungar Camion hat in der Mitte der 70er damals den ganzen Saudi, Irak und Iran und der Rest da unten über nommen. Saudi gab es 1974 ca 30.000 DM pro
Ladung. Die haben dann für 5.000,00 DM gefahren.

Auch Lastzüge der 1966 gegründeten ungarischen Transportgesellschaft “Hungarocamion” befahren häufig die Autobahnen Deutschlands. Der Fuhrpark des größten ungarischen Staatsbetriebes im Straßenverkehr umfaßte über 1500 Fahrzeugkombinationen, die in der Regel aus westlicher Produktion stammen. Am stärksten waren im internationalen Transport Mercedes, Iveco, Renault, Volvo und Raba vertreten. Der einstige Monopolist, kontrollierte nahezu den gesamten
internationalen Wirtschaftsverkehr Ungarns, der seinerzeit natürlich hauptsächlich Richtung Osten gerichtet war. Bis nach Taschkent oder tief in die iranische Wüste waren die Rabas und die ersten Mercedes-Lastzüge unterwegs. Die Fahrer genossen daheim und im Ausland ein hohes Ansehen. Den erfahrenen Profis und exzellenten Mechanikern gelang es selbst in der größten russischen Einöde, einen liegen gebliebenen Lkw wieder flottzumachen.
Hungarocamion ist heute eine Aktiengesellschaft und hat 1200 Lkw und 1300
Auflieger/Anhänger, davon 140 Kühlzügen. In Zukunft wird sich der Fuhrpark vereinheitlichen und nur noch aus Volvo-Fahrzeugen bestehen.
Im Oktober 2002, hat Hungarocamion 140 neue DAF-Lowliner und 120 neue Volvozugmaschinen, sowie neue Schmitzauflieger angeschafft. Seit Herbst 2003 gibt es Hungarocamion in seiner Form nicht mehr. Hungarocamion, Volan Tefu und über 20 andere Spedtitionen gehören jetzt zu Waberer´s. In Zunkunft werden die Fahrzeuge die gelb / blaue Lackierung von Volan Tefu erhalten.

Alright clever clogs…i stand corrected… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i went out with a dutch girl once, she had an incredible pair of blow up shoes…however when i phoned her house up one day…her father told me shed popped her clogs`…

Just got back from one of those Murder,Mystery weekends...mind you, the Hotel Mumbai` went way over the top.

Just got back from one of those Murder,Mystery weekends...mind you, the Hotel Mumbai` went way over the top.
I hope you got your tin hat on bob when the p.c brigade get ere

. . . I dont believe that Australia cannot be reached completely overland, there is a large stretch of water to cross first.

You’re quite right, truckboy - you can now drive from Europe all the way to Singapore (again) - and there are 3 companies, at least, doing these trips, using specially bodied trucks to carry passengers. There’s one driver, Steve, who’s doing the usual route(s) out to India, then up into China to get around the only land obstacle - Burma, and then down through Laos, Cambodia and so on to Singapore. This fella Steve, started in 1978 on the London to India and Kathmandu run, driving a Bedford SB bus - this was 10 years after I first drove it in 1968 in a Maudslay.

The first overland bus service from London to Bombay began in March or April 1957 by an Irishman in an AEC bus - this company was called ‘Indiaman’, and on 29th December of '58 another company, called ‘Asian Greyhound’ started up doing regular trips to India using Gardner engined Bristols. By 1964 when the two blokes who made the trip to Kabul in a Guy Warrior artic, the route had been well established and by then other bus outfits running from London to India and beyond. That first trip, that we know of, using a lorry is what started off the Asian Transport company - later known as Astran.

But back to the title of the thread:

What is the furthest lorry journey done by a trucknet member?

To try and reply to that question, as it’s worded, the furthest I ever drove was to the so-called Friendship Bridge at Kodari on the Nepalese -Tibetan border, in a Fiat Van-Hool bus - and the year was 1975. This was actually the Chinese border, as Tibet had been under Chinese occupation for many years - even then. That border crossing had been closed for years, when I went up there, although now it’s usually open and there is a lot of freight traffic in and out of China, from the Indian subcontinent.

These round trips from London to India, Kashmir and Kathmandu, were around 16,000 miles and could take at least 4 months. Tehran was the halfway point. But as far back as the early 1950s some university graduates did the journey from London to Singapore, and back, using Landrovers.

The following links are to three of the companies doing these journeys today - they may not be doing general haulage but they are using trucks on long distance Inter-Continental work - it doesn’t get much longer:

. . . I dont believe that Australia cannot be reached completely overland, there is a large stretch of water to cross first.

You’re quite right, truckboy - you can now drive from Europe all the way to Singapore (again) - and there are 3 companies, at least, doing these trips, using specially bodied trucks to carry passengers. There’s one driver, Steve, who’s doing the usual route(s) out to India, then up into China to get around the only land obstacle - Burma, and then down through Laos, Cambodia and so on to Singapore. This fella Steve, started in 1978 on the London to India and Kathmandu run, driving a Bedford SB bus - this was 10 years after I first drove it in 1968 in a Maudslay.

The first overland bus service from London to Bombay began in March or April 1957 by an Irishman in an AEC bus - this company was called ‘Indiaman’, and on 29th December of '58 another company, called ‘Asian Greyhound’ started up doing regular trips to India using Gardner engined Bristols. By 1964 when the two blokes who made the trip to Kabul in a Guy Warrior artic, the route had been well established and by then other bus outfits running from London to India and beyond. That first trip, that we know of, using a lorry is what started off the Asian Transport company - later known as Astran.

But back to the title of the thread:

What is the furthest lorry journey done by a trucknet member?

To try and reply to that question, as it’s worded, the furthest I ever drove was to the so-called Friendship Bridge at Kodari on the Nepalese -Tibetan border, in a Fiat Van-Hool bus - and the year was 1975. This was actually the Chinese border, as Tibet had been under Chinese occupation for many years - even then. That border crossing had been closed for years, when I went up there, although now it’s usually open and there is a lot of freight traffic in and out of China, from the Indian subcontinent.

These round trips from London to India, Kashmir and Kathmandu, were around 16,000 miles and could take at least 4 months. Tehran was the halfway point. But as far back as the early 1950s some university graduates did the journey from London to Singapore, and back, using Landrovers.

The following links are to three of the companies doing these journeys today - they may not be doing general haulage but they are using trucks on long distance Inter-Continental work - it doesn’t get much longer:

the best I ever did was Calgary Canada to portland oregonUSA. with a eight axle super B tanker…load of 47000 litres of diesel to Cranbrook british columbia empty to Portland load of 30000 litres of engine oil back to Calgary only 1600 miles poor compared to the other entries…trip took 4 days

Wheel Nut:
Fixemer was the name and they were caught out for :

The brothers Joachim and Christian Fixemer were considered to be guilty of illegal recruitment of hand d’ foreign work, of diversion of wages, corruption and forgery in writing. The judgement envisages a three years imprisonment of for Joachim Fixemer and two years and eight month for his/her brother. A former collaborator who belonged to management was condemned to one year and six months of suspended sentence.

Alta Vista Translation.

I dont think they were ever owned by Willie Betz but Willie and his staff got caught in the same BAG and Police raids in Germany.

I cant quite remember, Did they have a place in Remich?

Not sure about them having a place in Remich but am sure their depot is (was) at Perl on the old road into Remich about 5 mins from the border.

Come to think of it,I saw a Fixameyer motor parked on the A500 outside Stoke only a few weeks ago.

a few years ago just before weberers took over the hungarocamion name i was at pandoras on liverpool docks and i was talking to a hungarocamion driver, my hungarian is’nt that bad he was shipping over to the irish rebublic empty to pick up a load of pork for Beirut now that would be an interesting journey. Hungarocamion in the 70’s used to ship the harwich bremerhaven route they always used to park up in dovercourt for weekends i remember many volvo’s and legend raba’s with a MAN cab on. those where the days.

The longest run i have had is Glasgow to Dubia then backload nuts from Trabson to Northampton on the black sea coast in Turkey

The communist companys ,The wombles(bulgys)Hungarocamion,Ftroop (rumos) ect. then were not allowed into saudi or behond the furthesed they could go was Lebanon,Iraq,Iran.

bocockjnr:

UnionJack:
RD longhaul trips included:

I think Mark (something or other) went to Uzbek & armenia (diff trips)

would that be mark stone you mean :question: :question: :question: :question:

You may find photo’s of mark in here.
s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff13 … =slideshow

Dave.

jj72:
When I watch these moon landings,as the camera pans around the moonscape

So…the cameraman was the first on the moon?