What is the difference bus and coach driver?

What is the difference between a bus driver and a coach driver? Are they the same thing?

no they are different,
a bus driver takes people to work or to the shops and a coach driver takes people on holidays

I’m an intercity coach driver.

Basically a glorified bus driver but with a way fancier vehicle and only a few select pick up and drop off points. None of this stop start malarky :laughing:

Someone once described bus driving in town (staged) as driving from leeds to london, and having to stop every 200yds to let people on/off

Sounds about right. Ball burster

Thanks for the replies. So can a bus driver drive a coach for a day and vice versa without any training?

Yes perfectly ok as you already have the licence for it. Make sure if it’s a manual gearbox that you have manual licence and not restricted to auto only. Next to pic of bus on your licence if it says code 78 then you’re auto only. You’ll also have to use a tacho

Also a lot of buses are automatic transmission now, whereas coaches tend to have manual gearboxes

(Yes, yes, I know, there are plenty of automatic coaches now, too!) :smiley:

Sorry, my post got stuck! :blush:

It should have gone in after Steve-o’s post at Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 pm :unamused:

Usually wages are less for coach drivers too. If you imagine stage work as being on the go all the time, Coach driver on day excursion etc get to sit about all day smoking, eating and maybe having a nice snooze :laughing:.

Yes I am speaking from experience :laughing:

you’ll find you’re on min wage and have to make up the rest in tips and crap you sell like bottled water out the cash and carry

coach drivers get free food at the motorway services aswell, :smiley: :smiley: arrrrhhh just remembered why i carry a shirt and tie in my truck, :wink: :wink: :wink:

Maybe you should give coachdriverforum a look. As has been said the driving test is the same for bus or coach if you dont already have your lorry licence then watch for the gearbox thing.

daveb0789:
What is the difference between a bus driver and a coach driver? Are they the same thing?

About £200,000 (the price of the vehicles)

saucyboar5:
coach drivers get free food at the motorway services aswell, :smiley: :smiley: arrrrhhh just remembered why i carry a shirt and tie in my truck, :wink: :wink: :wink:

Welcome Break closed that nice little loophole. They now (or did) require a copy of your licence to show that you actually had the category. :laughing:

A bus driver or omnibus driver is a person who drives buses as their profession. Bus drivers typically drive their vehicles between bus stations or stops. They often drop off and pick up passengers on a predetermined route schedule.

In British English a different term, coach drivers, is used for drivers on long-distance routes and school trips.

According to wikipedia definition :smiley: :smiley:

Darby Flyer:

saucyboar5:

Welcome Break closed that nice little loophole. They now (or did) require a copy of your licence to show that you actually had the category. :laughing:

yeh i got the drivers card for welcome break, moto are best, you need nothing except good timing lol,spent 10years on the coaches before i saw the light,lol :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Coach driver have big epilettes, big sunglasses and even bigger cheesy (give me a big tip) smiles. Bus drivers on the other hand are usually growling behind perspex and have the code78 inferiority complex.

I started driving buses at 18 and coaches at 21. I was always told the difference between a bus and a coach, is that a coach has a toilet at the rear, while a bus has a sh**hole at the front.

Tin hat on and running :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

kirky7:
I started driving buses at 18 and coaches at 21. I was always told the difference between a bus and a coach, is that a coach has a toilet at the rear, while a bus has a sh**hole at the front.

Tin hat on and running :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ah, the big question is this, is this a bus or a coach :wink:

Its got a bog on it and weighs 2 ton more than a coach… :wink:

Whereas this

Isnt a bus, its a pile of ZB :smiling_imp:
BTW technically Im a coach driver as I passed my test on a Volvo B10M coach… :stuck_out_tongue: