What is the correct hours working in recovery

Folks i am just looking to make sure i havent turned down a good job after me being wrong with regards the hours i can work,my understanding is that recovery motors work domestic hours and are then constrained to 10 hours driving and an overal shift of 11 hours am i correct?? the company that offered me a job wanted me to be on call with a max 10 min responce into the wagon 24 hrs a day on a 6 day shift(144hrs on call) and i said no as this cant be legal because as far as my understanding is that i have to show no more than a 11 hour shift in my book per day! hopefully i am correct. gee :confused:

Domestic rules don’t specify a daily rest period so those 11 hours duty could be spread out over 24 hours, it’s not 11 hours from when you first clock on as with the 13 or 15 hours for the tacho rules.

You could work 2 hours, do nothing for 3, work an hour, do nothing for 2, work 2.5 hours do nothing for 2.5 hours, work an hour and so on until your duty reached 11 hours.

the way the job was sold to me was that it was 24 hour call 6 days a week and my understanding was that it was up to your 11 hours after whitch they stopped given you work to keep you legal whitch isnt realy a problem untill i realised that even while on call i wont be free to dispose of my time (company state a 5 min responce time to there call) so this means i am still on shift, meaning i was on shift for 144 hours in the 6 day period whitch is alot more than the legal 66 hours and they wont me to be out "if it comes to it " the full 24hrs. also i was not to fill out driving time or shift time in my book untill i was given figures from office (not matching my time sheet) I want to start out legit and keep my licence as it taken me a long slog to get it!!
am i right to say no or did i make a mistake by ding so?

dodester:
the way the job was sold to me was that it was 24 hour call 6 days a week and my understanding was that it was up to your 11 hours after whitch they stopped given you work to keep you legal whitch isnt realy a problem untill i realised that even while on call i wont be free to dispose of my time (company state a 5 min responce time to there call) so this means i am still on shift, meaning i was on shift for 144 hours in the 6 day period whitch is alot more than the legal 66 hours and they wont me to be out "if it comes to it " the full 24hrs. also i was not to fill out driving time or shift time in my book untill i was given figures from office (not matching my time sheet) I want to start out legit and keep my licence as it taken me a long slog to get it!!
am i right to say no or did i make a mistake by ding so?

Domestic rules do not require a daily rest period so the being free to dispose of your time thing doesn’t count. The 11 hours duty is just driving and work and does not include rest or breaks. As for the being on shift goes there isn’t a shift under Domestic rules in the same way as there is under EU rules.

EU rules, start at 06:00 and finish at 17:00 that’s an 11 hour shift.

Domestic Rules, start at 06:00 and do a couple of hours, then do nothing for 4 hours. Do 3 hours work, then do nothing for 1 hour followed by 1 hour work. Even though it is now 17:00 that’s not your 11 hours duty done. That’s only 6 hours leaving you another 5 hours you can do before 06:00 the next day.

Taking the example above and extending it beyond 17:00 you could do nothing for 4 hours, work for 3 hours, nothing for 3 hours, work for 2 hours, nothing for an hour and that takes you to 06:00 having done 11 hours duty. They could now legally call you out again because it’s a new 24 hour period so you have another 11 hours of duty available.

From what you have said the company are doing it correctly, as far as the law goes, in that once you reach 11 hours duty they stop giving you work until the next 24 hour period starts. With reference to this stop thinking in terms of shifts, rest periods and being free to dispose of your time in the way of the tacho rules. In the 144 hours on call, the 66 hours of duty you can do could be spread throughout those 144 hours with no more than a couple of hours between each period of duty.

Even though you have turned this job down because you thought it was illegal, and from the information supplied it isn’t, I don’t really think you would want to or be happy doing those kind of hours, I wouldn’t fancy it, so I would say you have done the right thing.

From what you have said the company are doing it correctly, as far as the law goes, in that once you reach 11 hours duty they stop giving you work until the next 24 hour period starts. With reference to this stop thinking in terms of shifts, rest periods and being free to dispose of your time in the way of the tacho rules. In the 144 hours on call, the 66 hours of duty you can do could be spread throughout those 144 hours with no more than a couple of hours between each period of duty.

na i think i explained it wrong in simple terms it was told to me that they expect you to work beetween 18 and 23 hours every 24 hour period and i was told not to write the driving hours or the other work in my book as they would supply me with the figures.hopefully this makes more sence

dodester:

I think i have explained this wrong, they dont stop giving you work once you have reached your 11 hours and expected me to do as much work as they were providing ie could be 23 hours in a 24 hour period and that could be the same every 24 hour period for the full 6 days i am on call, thats the bit that i wasnt liking. i fill in my time sheet and 2 days later there is a version of the time sheet minus the work i have done over 11 hours in my pigeon hole with the figures i have to put in my book!anyways thanks for your help coffee

Ah, my mistake I misunderstood. I think you did right to give it a swerve.

cool its allways a worry when you been trying for ages to get sumit and when you come accross this situation its like did i make a balls up.cheers for your help mate :wink:

My new place is 8 - 6 12 days on 2 days off.

Can’t really complain, got home at 7 tonight and could have stayed out for a couple more hours if I wanted!

Recovery is only for those who really want to work silly hours, tachos are un heard of!

P.s Dode, will reply to your PM when I get a chance.