What is poa

Hey guys what is poa ■■ I’ve been on the road 5 year poa is something I never used , my new employer wants me to use poa ,I will start with what I do know, I know poa reduces your weekly working time , so u can average a 48 hour week but I’m unsure about if it effects your daily tasks eg 6 hour working time or driving time etc I keep reading the text books it aload rubbish lol eg I’f I used 3 hour work and 2.40 driving got to a delivery parked up 2 hour would I sill need a break I 1hour time using poa

Stoketrucker:
Hey guys what is poa ■■ I’ve been on the road 5 year poa is something I never used , my new employer wants me to use poa ,I will start with what I do know, I know poa reduces your weekly working time , so u can average a 48 hour week but I’m unsure about if it effects your daily tasks eg 6 hour working time or driving time etc I keep reading the text books it aload rubbish lol eg I’f I used 3 hour work and 2.40 driving got to a delivery parked up 2 hour would I sill need a break I 1hour time using poa

Driving time = counts as working time for RTD
Other work = counts a working time for RTD
Break = does not count as working time and is when the driver uses it for recouperation even if that is sitting doing nowt in driver seat
Rest = same symbol as break but driver must be able to do as they want to where they want to
POA = does not count as working time but the driver must know how long the wait will be either in advance or being told on arrival
The wait for POA can be shorter but not longer than the driver is told

Unless breaks are not paid for most drivers will CHOOSE to use break instead of POA as there are less rules to be followed
IT IS THE CHOICE OF THE DRIVER WHICH THEY USE NOT MANAGEMENT

But with using break for example I driving for 1 hour parked up for 3 so I put it on break I will lose my first half of driving hours

Stoketrucker:
But with using break for example I driving for 1 hour parked up for 3 so I put it on break I will lose my first half of driving hours

No you dont

Lets say you are doing a 9 hour driving day - it could go like this (using driving and breaks only and not including anything else)
drive 1 hour
break 2 hours
drive 4 hours
break 3 hours
drive 4 hours

Poa as always been a grey area to me, my aim is to reduce my working time, as my ave working time is 60 hr pw I was going to use poa on deliverys instead of other work what I’m asking does poa effect my daily tasks the 6 hour working limit eg start at 0600 drive for 2 hours park up for 3 hours on poa do I require to take 45 min break at 1200

ROG:

Stoketrucker:

Driving time = counts as working time for RTD
Other work = counts a working time for RTD
Break = does not count as working time and is when the driver uses it for recouperation even if that is sitting doing nowt in driver seat
Rest = same symbol as break but driver must be able to do as they want to where they want to
POA = does not count as working time but the driver must know how long the wait will be either in advance or being told on arrival
The wait for POA can be shorter but not longer than the driver is told

Unless breaks are not paid for most drivers will CHOOSE to use break instead of POA as there are less rules to be followed

Where does it say that in the regulations :confused:

Stoketrucker:

If you drive for 1 hour then have a 3 hour break you will have used 1 hour of driving time and will still have 8/9 hours daily driving time left.

You can have as many breaks as you like, you don’t lose the driving time.

No way :-0 I’ve always used other work on deliverys and have break after 6 hour I lose loads driving time :-0

A more realistic example

other work 30 mins
drive 2 hours
break 1 hour - perhaps taken whilst waiting at a delivery/collection place
other work 30 mins
drive 3 hours
break 1 hour
other work 30 mins
drive 3 hours
other work 30 mins

Total driving time = 8 hours
Total other work = 2 hours
Total for RTD working time = 10 hours (8+2)
Total shift time = 12 hours

Stoketrucker:
No way :-0 I’ve always used other work on deliverys and have break after 6 hour I lose loads driving time :-0

You don’t lose driving time just because you have a break, if you drive for 2 hours then have a 45 minute break you’ve still got 7 hours daily driving time left for the shift, or 8 hours on a 10 hour driving day.

tachograph:

ROG:

It does not specifically state that but it does say that the driver is responsible for what mode is used and if that was not the case then management could tell a driver to use poa or break when doing other work for example

I do agree that management could tell a driver to use a mode other than other work when they were not actually working but not which mode that must be

I only used to do trunking b4 this job trunking with a decker into a hub , I been set in my ways that my exuse :slight_smile: thanks rog this will help me get round alot beter :slight_smile:

Stoketrucker:
Poa as always been a grey area to me, my aim is to reduce my working time, as my ave working time is 60 hr pw I was going to use poa on deliverys instead of other work what I’m asking does poa effect my daily tasks the 6 hour working limit eg start at 0600 drive for 2 hours park up for 3 hours on poa do I require to take 45 min break at 1200

you are getting driving time breaks mixed up with working time breaks

There are breaks required for driving time and breaks required for working time but both can count for each other with the driving time breaks taking preference

All breaks for working time can be as little as 15 mins each but breaks for driving time must be either 45 or 15 + 30

ROG:

tachograph:

ROG:

It does not specifically state that but it does say that the driver is responsible for what mode is used and if that was not the case then management could tell a driver to use poa or break when doing other work for example

I do agree that management could tell a driver to use a mode other than other work when they were not actually working but not which mode that must be

The regulations state that a driver must use the mode switch to accurately record his activities, as far as I’m aware that’s all it says.

If you’re on break the mode switch should be used to accurately record break, and a company can tell you when to have your breaks, just as a company can put you on standby and tell you to use POA so as not to screw up your breaks.

What mode should be used is not legally the drivers choice any-more than it’s the companies choice, though in the real world the driver will generally decide.

Im driving curtin side Usally my drops take 1.5 hour I going use other work 15 min b4 an after delivery to do curtins and secure load and put it on break 1 hour In between, I Usally get 3 drops with alot distance between drops

Would that be ok guys aslong as I don’t exceed 4.5 hr between breaks

Stoketrucker:
Im driving curtin side Usally my drops take 1.5 hour I going use other work 15 min b4 an after delivery to do curtins and secure load and put it on break 1 hour In between, I Usally get 3 drops with alot distance between drops

Is this like your daily shift?

15 min other work for vehicle checks for example - could be more or less than 15 mins
drive X amount of time
15 min other work
1 hour break which resets driving time for another 4.5 hours providing you have that much left in your daily drive time allowance
15 min other work
drive X amount
15 min other work
1 hour break which resets driving time for another 4.5 hours providing you have that much left in your daily drive time allowance
15 min other work
drive X amount
15 min other work
15 min other work
drive X amount
15 min other work for end of shift stuff like fuelling/paperwork for example - could be more or less than 15 mins

That is how I would record my day with no need for POA
POA could be used if I was told that I will be waiting at least 1 hour at every place but that is unlikely to always be the case so break makes more legal sense to me if I got paid for recording break

I might have an extra break somewhere in that shift if I wanted to stop and eat in a cafe for example

Yes that sound like the plan from now on, but what I have been doing is working 6 hours taking 45 min break thinking I lost first half driving hours than working another 6 taking 45 then using extra hour driving twice a week and other 3 days have always ended upas a night out lol

You may do well to have a study of the Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs :wink:

tachograph:
You may do well to have a study of the Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs :wink:

As Tacho says .

Another thing you could do is wright down a weeks work as your doing it and let Rog or Tacho look at it but remember any time your securing your load or actually working is work not poa or break or rest