What is it like now

The industry i mean, jobs becoming more available?

im still not sure whether to go ahead with getting my licence…im wanting class 2 with ADR for a while then class 1 at a later date…no rush…im 25 next month, i have been looking on the jobcentre website vacancies and some of the hourly rate is shocking…i even spied a NMW class 1 job.

the industry is still dead at the minute but there is a glimmer of hope as more people are finding jobs. the wages are a bit naff, to say the least, at some places but wont pick up until the industry does (hopefully).

i would do your licence then by the time it is near the end of the slump you should have the 2 years experience to get the job you want, i wouldnt do the adr until you are about to start the jobs though as it will then give you 5 years worth of it, instead of doing it now and only having 3 years left when you do land the job (with the 2 years experience), plus you can count it towards your drivers cpc when it does come round again.

If you can afford it. get LGV licence now and look at it as an investment for the future.

The ‘upturn’ is ‘expected’ some time in 2011…

how is it looking now?

iv noticed a fair few more vacancies from the jobcentre alone in the north west area, this mean its on the up?

the fridge place next door is no more , and the place a few doors up which was put on a four day week is now being put on a 3 day week, says it all really.
but if my mate is to be believed, when he was at scmitz trailers the other week he was told theyd now got work as weve ordered 150 more trailers.
so it seems a very mixed picture .

Three owner driver friends of mine have bought new or nearly new trucks and according to them have more than enough work,one has added a new Daf to his fleet.

IMHO, well round these parts anyhow - there seem to be a gnats whisker more jobs available, very rarely near me though. But it is normal for things to be better this time of year. I can’t see any significant improvement happening for at least a year, maybe more, even then it will be a gradual improvement.

There’s sod all around Essex. I’ve seen numerous advertisments for Container drivers today though, running out of Felixstowe, is that side picking up■■?

One company on the boxes was offering £70 a day, one was £100 a day, another £8.50 and hour. The agencies i saw today said there’s work about, they didn’t show me anything though :unamused: