What is it about Brakes?

Afternoon all

I’ve read on here that Brakes is a good place for a Newbie to start their life behind the wheel. It seems that they pay their Class 2 drivers a handsome salary.

However, I’ve heard it’s a tough job - hence the decent pay.

Please can those of you in the know give an insight to what it’s like to work for Brakes.

• How tough is it compared to other Class 2 jobs?

• What area do you cover in a typical day? How far do you travel?

• What are the drops like?

• How many hours in a typical week?

• Start/finish times?

Cheers

The thing with the food service jobs is generally, lots of handball, lots of cages, early starts, city centres and tight manoeuvres. If you can get on board with all that then give it a go.

None of the above personally bother me but it’s just not my cup of tea

All local work, no nights out on class 2. Early starts, not much driving, lots of breaking down pallets and handball. You’ll be mixing it up with town and city traffic, doing drops on busy high streets. Sometimes you’ll get a drivers mate to help which is nice.

NickW88:

This is probably more you! :smiley:

I had a driving assessment last Friday I am newly qualified but the guy doing the assessment didn’t pass me probably because of my lack of experience. They kept me waiting nearly two hours for my assessment and they instructor was extremely aggressive with me.

davebo99:
I had a driving assessment last Friday I am newly qualified but the guy doing the assessment didn’t pass me probably because of my lack of experience. They kept me waiting nearly two hours for my assessment and they instructor was extremely aggressive with me.

Did no one tell you that social skills are often lacking in the haulage game? :laughing:
Don’t take it personally, just move on…

When I passed class 2 first place I went was Brakes in Burtonwood. I’d had 4 hours sleep due to travelling to Wrexam earlier that day for my mod 4. The straight 6 speed gearbox threw me off (wasn’t expecting it after passing in 4 over 4) tried to set off in 3rd - stalled. Tried again - stalled. So thought “right, must be like a car given the gearbox” tried 1st gear and nearly catapulted us through the windscreen. Rest of the assessment was hit n miss (first time I’d driven a truck since passing my test 5 weeks earlier) I didn’t pass the assessment. Couple of days later, I was called by an agency asking if I could work at Brakes! I declined.

From what I’ve been told, they have a huge turnover of staff. That in itself tells you everything.

Evil8Beezle:

NickW88:

This is probably more you! :smiley:

Better than ■■■■■■■■■■■ I suppose :wink:

I work for another food service, similar to brakes. 05:30 start should finish at 15:30, tend to finish around 16:30.

All hand ball no cages, £10.86 an hour. Soon as I go over 40 hours for the week I go to £16.29. Oh 4 days a week 10 hour days I do tues, thurs, fri, say

City centres, country roads, tight manoeuvres. It’s not for everyone, but I love it. Keeps u fit and good pay

matt.robb2:
I work for another food service, similar to brakes. 05:30 start should finish at 15:30, tend to finish around 16:30.

All hand ball no cages, £10.86 an hour. Soon as I go over 40 hours for the week I go to £16.29. Oh 4 days a week 10 hour days I do tues, thurs, fri, say

City centres, country roads, tight manoeuvres. It’s not for everyone, but I love it. Keeps u fit and good pay

Would you tell the name of the company?
Thanks

I did some short term Class 2 work for Brakes on agency last year making deliveries to restaurants such as ‘Frankie & Bennys’ and to pubs, on delivery the pallets had to be stripped down, the goods loaded onto a sack truck then placed where the customer desired, this meant a lot of wheeling in and out with the sack truck and the tail lift was up and down like a yo-yo and on the first drops if the customer had frozen goods behind the bulk head the chilled pallets had to be moved out of the way in order to get to them and then put back again once the order had been delivered so all in all it was quite labour intensive but I was left to work at my own pace and whilst I wouldn’t describe wheeling stuff around on a sack truck as hard work per se the handball involved did have a gradual wearing effect. The goods delivered were frozen chips, meat, ice cream, fresh fruit, milk, pop etc all the stuff you would expect a typical restaurant to need really.

They were quite ‘hot’ on H&S and there seemed to be a form to sign and a policy for everything, (although personally I don’t view a firm wanting to take care of my well being as a bad thing), so lots of paperwork.

Shift lengths and driving distances varied depending on the allocated run, I would say that the average shift length would be around 9 hours and driving distance around 150 miles, although these are really broad figures as stating them accurately is difficult due to the varied nature of the work, I found the routes to be very well planned with sensible times allocated to each drop and they were very understanding if you were running late due to being unfamiliar with the route or if you had encountered other delays.

In my experience they really looked after their drivers and genuinely seemed to want to run a happy ship, allowing drivers a choice over which routes they wanted (within reason) double manning the newbies and new routes involving restricted access, regular training sessions, good facilities at the depot, bonus payments, discounted hotels, gym membership etc.

I know that some comments regarding Brakes have been less than positive on the forum but in my experience I found them to be a well run and very organised company - who like you say do pay very well!

I only ever worked out of the Grantham depot so my opinion is based solely on my experience at that one location.

I would give it a go and judge it for yourself, if you don’t want to commit to a full time position, try it out via agency first.

Doesn’t seem like a bad job.
I’m sure some of the class 1 guys would disagree though as they seem to feel hard done by if they have to shut the shutter on their tralier themselves.

Thanks for the replies guys, particularly MickyB666.

It seems that a job with Brakes might be tougher than other firms, but they sound a decent enough firm. I can imagine the experience gained would be good and the money would help ease the handball related back pain!

Thanks again.