What hours can I drive (2 jobs)

Hi all.

I am currently employed in a none-driving job, and am looking to do some driving on my days off to gain some experience. I do a verity of shifts where I currently work, so I want to ask what the maximum I could drive/work in a second driving job?

This is my current shift pattern (4 week rota).

Week 1 (37 hours total)
Mon - Off
Tues - 06:00-13:00 - 7 Hours
Wed - 15:00-22:00 - 7 Hours
Thurs - 15:00-22:00 - 7 Hours
Fri - Off
Sat - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Sun - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours

Week 2 (40 hours total)
Mon - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Tues - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Wed - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Thurs - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Fri - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Sat - Off
Sun - Off

Week 3 (37 hours total)
Mon - 15:00-22:00 - 7 Hours
Tues - 15:00-2200 - 7 Hours
Wed - Off
Thurs - Off
Fri - 06:00-13:00 - 7 hours
Sat - 06:00-14:00 - 8 Hours
Sun - 06:00-14:00 - 8 Hours

Week 4 (36 hours total)
Mon - 06:00-12:30 - 6.5 Hours
Tues - Off
Wed - 06:00-12:30 - 6.5 Hours
Thurs - Off
Fri - 15:00-22:00 - 7 Hours
Sat - 14:00-22:00 - 8 Hours
Sun - 14:00-22:00 - 8 Hours

Average week works out (wk1 + wk2 + wk3 + wk4 / 4) as 37.5 hours.

Many thanks guys.

Andrew

this might be a crazy idea but why dont you just not mention your other non driving job to anyone who in some remote chance might be interested■■? save yourself the greif of the nitpicking minefield of jobsworth bureaucracy that will surely follow. say nothing and save the hassel.for all your going to be driving then your not exactly going to be on the vosa radar even in the remote chance you would be stopped in the 1st place…no doubt this will precede the barrage of to the letter of the law rulebook replies,but thats what id be doing,and not be worrying about it.

Hi New blood,why on earth would you want another job you have got a doodle now.100% of the men on here who drive would spend as much time as you work,in one shift,waiting to get tipped in one day,as you probably know.
1 shift= 15hour day in transport,well it used to.
any guesses on what work you do= no prizes. mine NHS.

Not mentioning or officially recording the non driving job in a week where you drove under EU regs is totally illegal and could end you in very hot water so if anyone suggests doing that I would seriously ignore that advice

This is my current shift pattern (4 week rota).

Week 1 (37 hours total)
Mon - Off DRIVE THIS DAY
Tues - 06:00-13:00 - 7 Hours
REDUCED WEEKLY REST = 26 HOURS
Wed - 15:00-22:00 - 7 Hours
Thurs - 15:00-22:00 - 7 Hours
Fri - Off
REGULAR WEEKLY REST FOR WEEK 1 = 48 HOURS
Sat - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Sun - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours

Week 2 (40 hours total)
Mon - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Tues - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Wed - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Thurs - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Fri - 22:00-0600 (Night Shift) - 8 hours
Sat - Off
Sun - Off
REGULAR WEEKLY REST = 54 HOURS

Week 3 (37 hours total)
Mon - 15:00-22:00 - 7 Hours
Tues - 15:00-2200 - 7 Hours
Wed - Off
Thurs - Off
REGULAR WEEKLY REST FOR WEEK 3 = 56 HOURS
Fri - 06:00-13:00 - 7 hours
Sat - 06:00-14:00 - 8 Hours
Sun - 06:00-14:00 - 8 Hours

Week 4 (36 hours total)
Mon - 06:00-12:30 - 6.5 Hours THEN DRIVE UNTIL 2100
Tues - Off DRIVE THIS DAY
Wed - 06:00-12:30 - 6.5 Hours
Thurs - Off
REDUCED WEEKLY REST FOR WEEK 4 = 41 HOURS
Fri - 15:00-22:00 - 7 Hours
Sat - 14:00-22:00 - 8 Hours
Sun - 14:00-22:00 - 8 Hours

THATS ALL I COULD COME UP WITH

deckboypeggy:
Hi New blood,why on earth would you want another job you have got a doodle now.100% of the men on here who drive would spend as much time as you work,in one shift,waiting to get tipped in one day,as you probably know.
1 shift= 15hour day in transport,well it used to.
any guesses on what work you do= no prizes. mine NHS.

Well it is in my profile on here… lol.

I USED to be NHS, but we were taken over by a private company. Redundancies are on the cards, so I just want to get the ball rolling. I used to love my job in the NHS, however, this has now gone. The problem is, every job interview I go to, the only thing that seems to let me down as a candidate is “experience”. The hours do not bother me. Before the take over, I would do 12, 15, even 18 hour shifts, so length of shift does not bother me. Neither does night out.

The reason I asked about hours is, one company said they might be willing to take me on in my days off, to allow me to build up my experience, as well as to give me a “feel” for the job. That way, if I did not like it, I would not be stuck until I found something else.

ROG:
Not mentioning or officially recording the non driving job in a week where you drove under EU regs is totally illegal and could end you in very hot water so if anyone suggests doing that I would seriously ignore that advice

Too right Rog. I certainly do not want to be breaking any laws, this is after all, just a way to gain my experience, not to earn big bucks.

ROG:
THATS ALL I COULD COME UP WITH

That’s Fantastic Rog. So in 4 weeks I could drive 3 days, that’s not as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for taking the time to look at that. I will certainly look into this a bit deeper now. Thanks again.

Doing it how ROG has said, you would have to make sure that in week 5 you have 2 days off together to give you your 45hrs off(regular weekly rest).

dieseldog999:
this might be a crazy idea but why dont you just not mention your other non driving job to anyone who in some remote chance might be interested■■? save yourself the greif of the nitpicking minefield of jobsworth bureaucracy that will surely follow. say nothing and save the hassel.for all your going to be driving then your not exactly going to be on the vosa radar even in the remote chance you would be stopped in the 1st place…no doubt this will precede the barrage of to the letter of the law rulebook replies,but thats what id be doing,and not be worrying about it.

He might not be on the DVSA radar himself - But the firm he’s driving for might well be (and as a part timer/newbie, he probably won’t be best placed to know this). Feel free to bend/stretch/break as many rules as you like - but FFS make sure you know what those rules are first!

Eat My BB:
Doing it how ROG has said, you would have to make sure that in week 5 you have 2 days off together to give you your 45hrs off(regular weekly rest).

My Rota is a 4 week one. Basically its;

wk1 - wk2 - wk3 - wk4 - wk1 - wk2 - wk3 - wk4 - wk1 - wk2 - wk3 - wk4 - wk1 - wk2 - wk3 - wk4 - etc - etc

Does this mean that I could only work 1 day in every 4 weeks?

Thanks for your help with this guys. I understand about the Drivers Hours regs, and WTD regs (average 48hrs a week over a 17 week period, with max in a week being 60hrs), but with trying to work it out over 2 jobs is making my head spin… :laughing:

Roymondo:

dieseldog999:

He might not be on the DVSA radar himself - But the firm he’s driving for might well be (and as a part timer/newbie, he probably won’t be best placed to know this). Feel free to bend/stretch/break as many rules as you like - but FFS make sure you know what those rules are first!

max 3 days over a 4 week period…personally i couldnt give a bollox to try and work that out if that was what i was wanting to be doing as far as driving goes. if he does the driving days with no serious infringments then not exactly a risk factor to be worrying about,but always best to know and safe than sorry though… :slight_smile:

Eat My BB:

4 week rota so that is covered in week 1