What happens next

Hi guys, had a bad end to the day today, was lost in the middle of nowhere and was coming up to 4-1/2 hrs but couldn’t find anywhere to stop, I’m not really sure how far over I went but at a quick look it could of been between 30-45 mins over. If I get stopped what will happen? Only been driving just over a week and am using an analog tacho. Thanks in advanced from a stressed newby.

You’ll proberly get a stretch for that.lol.Don’t panic.Just write the reason on the back of the card.You’ll be handing it over to your tm soon.Don’t worry you’ll get a few more over your driving career.Hold ups ib accidents and the likes.

What happens if I get stopped by vosa/etc. will I get a warning or some kind of fine? Had to go over last Tuesday by 15 mins as didn’t have anywhere to stop then eithwr

You’ll get a warning and a possible fine if you make a habit of it.Do you use anything to keep track of your driving times.I use a diary.But then I always have.Can use kitchen timers also.You forgetting to put it on break.Thus making you go over your driving time.If your waiting to tip say and you have 15min to wait.Put it on break.Then just make sure you get your half hour in before your time is up.Start looking for a place to stop when you get to the 4 hour mark if not.You should find somewhere to park by then.

Yeah I got a timer off eBay that arrived Saturday but I forgot to press start when I finished loading. This job is so different to my last job, still learning everything. Just today I got lost and it was dark and raining then I realised I ha gone over my hours and found the nearest available stopping place. Got all worked up. I will try and calculate how far I went over by in the morning. Why exactly do I need to write on the back? Can you give me an example?

I normally write something along the lines of.Driving time exceeded by.x amount of minutes due to no available parking.Something like that.

Frisbee. Toilet paper. Take your pick. I messed up on one a few months back. Slung it in the bin. Analysis company never mentioned it and neither did my company.

I guess I left it in the truck then someone else threw it away. Just don’t make a habit of it.

Reading your posts i would say that you need to be a little more organised. With a little planning and thought i am sure that you could avoid many of these situations. Keep a diary of your start and departure times particulary if your multi drop and you can quickly work out when you are approaching your drive limit or take a ball park figure of 4 hours after starting and then start thinking about somewhere to park. Remember its best to park up ten minutes early rather than ten minutes over.
Fines for offences normally start at £70 a go and your company wont like it because they are also black marks in terms of future licence applications. So try and plan your journeys and learn to think ahead and anticipate possible problems which you will do with experience. :wink:

Thanks guys, I’m going to have a proper look today to see how far over I went.

If you’re into gadgets then I highly recommend getting a timer app for a smartphone or tablet. I use an analogue tacho quite frequently and find that the app I use (trucker timer, no affiliation - just a happy customer) invaluable for keeping a check on my hours, especially when multi-dropping as it changes from driving to other work automatically when stopped.

I use trucker timer and a diary to kept track if my hours. The 15 you can generally get while you’re tipping it’s not hard.
I know you’re new and we all were once but start as you mean to go on. Square yourself away and get organised.

You’ll get a few infringements as you’re just starting but as others have said it pays to park up ten minutes early. 4.5 hours is a maximum not a target.

I noticed today that one of the tacho disc I used on my first week has become damaged, I lost it while changing cabs and found it again. What should I do? Write on the back saying it was lost and then found it damaged? I dunno lol

I was once told by someone that if you’ve gone over on your time it’s better if you’ve shown some element of break ie. a 15min at some point during that period rather than a 4.5hr + with no breaks. No personal experience of this but it seems like sense.

As a general rule I try and get a 15 through the morning sometime so the second stop doesn’t seem to take forever.

When I first started out, I used to leave it to the 4:15 flashing light on a digi before planning a stop.

Now I have a bit more experience under my belt, I can pretty much judge how far 4:30 will get me and where I can stop previous to that.

Just a few pointers.

Don’t rely on ‘that’ layby. Guaranteed it will be full when you get there. Plan for one before that and use ‘that’ one as a last ditch option.

Keep a better eye on your times. I know multidropping using analogue tacho is near impossible as a newbie. It’ll come with practice.

Make allowance for traffic jams etc. but if you are caught in one and close to time, don’t fret. Just write on back of tacho card / printout. And don’t make a regular habit of it.

As you have said, you’ve only been at it a week. Vosa are not Inhumane. Be honest if asked. As a first infringement they will probably lean towards educating you and give a slap on the wrist. Jail and heavy fines are for the persistent offenders who set out to break the rules.

Good luck in the rest of your driving career.