What happens if i dont complete CPC by sep deadline?

DVLA are taking their time issueing my provisional licence so it looks like my original plan of training to c then c+e with cpc by Sep is now out the window.
As someone with class c1 already on my driving licence what are the consequences of failing to do 35 hours cpc by the deadline?
Obviously I can’t do driving work after10 Sep until completed but is it a matter of doing the 35 hours or would I then need to do modules 2 and 4 instead?
If I do the 35 hours now whilst waiting will the photocopy of my car licence suffice as identification for the hours to be uploaded? Only problem with doing this is I was hoping to use a school that would count my lgv training towards cpc hours.
Lastly if I did some cpc hours before the deadline would they be wasted as I would need to do another 35 hours after the deadline?

You will need your licence with you to attend any periodic training so a call to DVLA explaining the problem might help. Once you have the licence you can start doing the 7 hour courses. If your driver training includes say 21 hours just do the other 14 before the course starts.

Any hours recorded by 9th Sept will remain valid after the deadline. You will never have the option to do the Initial CPC mods 2 & 4 instead as you have C1 acquired rights and must do the 35 hours.

Thanks John.

At least I know where I stand now, shame that I can’t get any training done till my licence is returned. Have called Dvla who made a note of my circumstances but yet to see if it speeds up the 8 week delay they are currently forecasting

The DVSA have, after the PCV deadline, allowed those with pre 97 D1s to choose whether they want to do the 2 initial modules or the 35 hours when going for D

With that info I do wonder if they might do the same thing for those with pre 97 C1s when they go for C after the LGV deadline ■■?

ROG:
The DVSA have, after the PCV deadline, allowed those with pre 97 D1s to choose whether they want to do the 2 initial modules or the 35 hours when going for D

With that info I do wonder if they might do the same thing for those with pre 97 C1s when they go for C after the LGV deadline ■■?

I am watching this one closely too. I don’t need DCPC but I want it anyway to save arguments. So if they decide to do this I will have a choice.

Question is, is it preferable to to 2 modules or 35 hours. Time-wise I know that initial modules are less time. But what about financially? And how much effort is involved? In other words, which would you choose, and why?

With DVLA holding your licence and the deadline looming I would call them and ask for something which will allow you to do driver cpc training

th2013:

ROG:

I am watching this one closely too. I don’t need DCPC but I want it anyway to save arguments. So if they decide to do this I will have a choice.

Question is, is it preferable to to 2 modules or 35 hours. Time-wise I know that initial modules are less time. But what about financially? And how much effort is involved? In other words, which would you choose, and why?

Price is about the same

honk:
If I do the 35 hours now whilst waiting will the photocopy of my car licence suffice as identification for the hours to be uploaded?

Hi honk,

You can do your 35hrs in a classroom or your follow your original plan of having some licence upgrade tuition hours to count for your periodic DCPC.

One of the DCPC providers that I work for has encountered people in your exact position.
The procedure is that you can do the hours, but your paper DCPC 7hr certificates cannot be issued until such time as you have produced your licence to the provider.
The provider should ideally record your hours in the normal way, but inform JAUPT/DSA that they haven’t seen your licence and the reason for that. This procedure is known as ‘late upload.’
Late upload is perfectly OK provided that you and the provider follow the procedure correctly, particularly the part about the provider informing JAUPT/DSA, and this is best done on the day of the tuition.

honk:
Only problem with doing this is I was hoping to use a school that would count my lgv training towards cpc hours.

Shouldn’t be a problem if you and the provider follow the above procedure. :smiley:

I have just called JAUPT and the DVLA CPC hotline. There is no procedure that covers a candidate not producing the licence on the day however there is a common system known as a delayed upload where the trainer uploads the hours after the normal 5 day deadline but normally only acceptable for medical delays.

The DVLA guy took the view that drivers have had 5 years to do this and that licence delays should be anticipated when sending off to DVLA.

He did say however that a letter or email from DVLA confirming a delay may be acceptable for a late upload.

LGVTrainer:
The DVLA guy took the view that drivers have had 5 years to do this and that licence delays should be anticipated when sending off to DVLA.

I know what you and he are saying. Though it is only fair to say that occasionally drivers have C1 and come to this game in later life, and right now such a driver has a few weeks!

th2013:

LGVTrainer:

I know what you and he are saying. Though it is only fair to say that occasionally drivers have C1 and come to this game in later life, and right now such a driver has a few weeks!

That describes my situation, not much call for cpc in my current IT job. I will only require it for a career change as soon as I can get trained up and unlikely to need before September.

I’m reluctant to take the delayed input route in case there are problems with trainer going out of business in the meantime.

honk:
That describes my situation, not much call for cpc in my current IT job.

Another one in IT! Sounds like we have a bit in common.
I now have an interesting job balance between IT Director, Video Engineer and OB Truck Driver. But it’s taken 20 years of work to get here.
The IT part is very stressful, my team has to keep over 4000 users happy split over 100 countries. The other parts are the bits keeping me sane. But none of it is a particularly cushy number however it sounds - hand-balling hundreds of flight cases with heavy sound and camera equipment, trusses, lighting bars, stage pieces (1 ton per stack), and miles of heavy cable on and off an artic is punishing work! There is always something that suddenly doesn’t work that needs fixing or working around too. The most enjoyable part of the job is if you are covering an event for a few days and everything stays setup, then apart from ongoing repairs and doing engineering for live sessions you get a bit of free time.

Anyway, interested to see that a fellow IT bod is jumping ship - all the best for your career change! Tim

LGVTrainer:
… there is a common system known as a delayed upload where the trainer uploads the hours after the normal 5 day deadline …

They have to allow for delays that are caused by a driver’s driving licence being away at Swansea.

As we all know, the reasons for a driving licence being delayed at Swansea are many and varied.
This can be made even worse by the snail mail system. :smiley: :wink:

Another reason for a late upload is when a driver has forgotten to bring the driving licence, or thinks that he doesn’t need to bring both parts.

The late upload thing was explained ‘live’ and in person to me and the class I was teaching by a JAUPT verifier who did a verification visit on me about three weeks ago.
The verifier then explained the late uploads procedure again to the provider’s office staff.

One of the things I’ve noticed about JAUPT is that their office staff and their verifiers aren’t always singing from the same hymn-sheet, which isn’t helpful. :frowning:

Not sure if it works with all companies. But I got 14 hours for my class 2, then the same for my class 1 training, then did the final hours the following Saturday, I’d not even had my licence back, but the guy that took the course accepted my digicard as ID.

Just a thought.

Thanks for all your answers and suggestions everyone.

Tim, sounds like a good job (apart from the IT) I started in engineering and am looking in to ways to combine driving with engineering.

I got all excited today when post arrived from DVLA but it turned out to be a car tax reminder rather than my provisional.