What happened to driving skill/awareness

Simon:

Gidders:
Do I assume that the DCPC introduced a few years ago in exchange for a small fee has not been the roaring success that was predicted ?

Well it hasn’t had any noticable affect on driving standards.
Mine are always perfect, of course [emoji38]

I got nobbled for speeding though, a couple of weeks ago :unamused:
Driving a VW Caddy van, on the A90 dual carrageway, from Perth towards Dundee. 71 in a 60 :open_mouth:
I thought it was a car derived van, derived from the VW SUV. Apparently not :cry:

There are very few CDV’s. Only Corsa or Fiesta sized. Even a Berlingo doesn’t qualify. It will say on the v5 if it is a CDV.

Juddian:
How very English though the comment, we show affection by taking the ■■■■ out of each other at every opportunity, if you don’t get ribbed usually means they don’t like you, wonder what recent arrivals to the country make of it?

Never mind the new arrivals, people (Snowflakes) who have been here their whole lives are apt to misunderstand and complain about ‘blokey banter’. I completely agree BTW, not good-naturedly taking the ■■■■ out of someone is a bigger FU than any words can convey.

stu675:

Simon:

Gidders:
Do I assume that the DCPC introduced a few years ago in exchange for a small fee has not been the roaring success that was predicted ?

Driving a VW Caddy van, on the A90 dual carrageway, from Perth towards Dundee. 71 in a 60 :open_mouth:
I thought it was a car derived van, derived from the VW SUV. Apparently not :cry:

There are very few CDV’s. Only Corsa or Fiesta sized. Even a Berlingo doesn’t qualify. It will say on the v5 if it is a CDV.

Sacre Bleu, that’s unhandy. I like to knock along in my Berlingo/Partner thing. I understood that the CDV thing was a bit of a grey area on these smaller vans, and the Feds weren’t too bothered about it. Does that mean that it’s 50 on a single carriageway also?

Old John:

Sacre Bleu, that’s unhandy. I like to knock along in my Berlingo/Partner thing. I understood that the CDV thing was a bit of a grey area on these smaller vans, and the Feds weren’t too bothered about it. Does that mean that it’s 50 on a single carriageway also?

It’s not a grey area, quite clear in fact.
gov.uk/government/publicati … e-vehicles
No idea if police see them as easy pickings or couldn’t care less.
Get your 50 60 70 signs plastered on the back!

Old John:

stu675:

Simon:

Gidders:

The odd thing is, you can have a Hilux/Ranger, and so long as its a 4 seater, has the required glass area (most do), and has 4WD, it’s classed as a dual purpose vehicle and subject to car speed limits, a 2 door 2 seater Hilux wouldn’t and nor would a dual cab without 4WD so commercial limits…the mid sized ‘‘extra cab’’ versions which are a mix of the two main types i’m not sure about.
Those rare Landrover Discover commercials presumably are stuck with commercial limits too.
When i had my full size pick up, i used to keep the relevent legalese in a printed sheet in the glove box in case of query, even full time traffic cops (rarer tha the Dodo) can’t know every oddity in the legislation.

Presumably the DVLA knows what the limits are when a vehicle is made then registered, one would assume the camera van operator clocks every van or 4x4 going over the van limits and the system automatically gives dual purpose and CDV’s a pass, be interesting to hear from someone involved.

I would have thought a Partner Teepee or its Berlingo equivalent or Doblo equivalent, manufactured as MPV’s with passenger rear doors sliding or otherwise windows all round and proper seats etc would come with car limits.

Carryfast:
All seems to be connected to the brake and throttle school of motoring finally facilitated by auto transmissions.
Let alone dropping down through a sequence of constant mesh gears on the approach to a roundabout.
Although to be fair that would all have been messed up by traffic lights strategically placed and phased to create maximum disincentive for anyone to go anywhere by road.

To my learned friend i offer one word, Leicester, the driving through of which is hell.

Oxfordshire though must be one of the worse counties for this, particularly the phasing of the lights at the M40/A34 junction, whose sole purpose must be to create daily traffic jams southbound on the M40 as far back as Cherwell services, that takes a special sort of talent, no one programming them could be that incompetent so preumably deliberate.

Juddian:

Old John:

stu675:

Simon:

Gidders:

The odd thing is, you can have a Hilux/Ranger, and so long as its a 4 seater, has the required glass area (most do), and has 4WD, it’s classed as a dual purpose vehicle and subject to car speed limits, a 2 door 2 seater Hilux wouldn’t and nor would a dual cab without 4WD so commercial limits…the mid sized ‘‘extra cab’’ versions which are a mix of the two main types i’m not sure about.
Those rare Landrover Discover commercials presumably are stuck with commercial limits too.
When i had my full size pick up, i used to keep the relevent legalese in a printed sheet in the glove box in case of query, even full time traffic cops (rarer tha the Dodo) can’t know every oddity in the legislation.

Presumably the DVLA knows what the limits are when a vehicle is made then registered, one would assume the camera van operator clocks every van or 4x4 going over the van limits and the system automatically gives dual purpose and CDV’s a pass, be interesting to hear from someone involved.

I would have thought a Partner Teepee or its Berlingo equivalent or Doblo equivalent, manufactured as MPV’s with passenger rear doors sliding or otherwise windows all round and proper seats etc would come with car limits.

Ref double cab pickups, if the unladen / kerb weight is under 2040kg they apply as a dual purpose vehicle, so car limits. If over ( the ranger, amarok and Nissan are over) it’s commercial speed limits!! As I understand, and ready to be corrected.

Also they are taxed ( if used as a company car) as a company van on P11D unless payload is under 1 tonne then you are hit with car tax, payload is reduced by the box on back which HMRC count as 45kg. So beware!!

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Usual issue = no safe driving checks post test pass

^^^ obliged to me learned friend.

Handy to know the Ranger is too heavy for car limits, i’d considered going back to a Hilux again but the used values have gone crazy so thought a Ranger might be an alternative, fortunately learning about the oil change design in practical joke on the 5 pot put me off those and people i know who have found the transmission to be made of cheese put the top hat on them anyway, if i do bo back to a pick up it’ll be another Toyota.
Apart from the basic reliability simplicity and practicality its the commercial VED which makes them worth having.

Standard of driving has taken a noticeable downturn in the last 5 years. I’m not a professional driver, but commute 70 miles a day, which has dropped from over 100 miles a day recently.

people are so easily distracted by their phones now, and seem to all be under the ’ it doesn’t include me’ rule that govern our roads.

as an biker, and trucker, i take pride in driving well, and something pointed out by others, that no one takes an pride, or care in their vehicles, or how they drive them anymore.

i’d never buy a car that’s two or three years old, based solely on the way i see people driving them with no mechanical sympathy.

Same as every profestion im afraid it stinks from the top. Joe bloggs sees someone making a good living at a skill thinks i can do that blags the appropriate bit of paper from whatever institution and makes a pigs ear of it teaching others the error of thier ways.

sparks chippys mechanics plumbers driving anything that you can think of that needs a skill has gone the same way.

There was a driving instructor being discussed on here the other day one of his recent videos he was giving a journalist an assesment drive. they didnt read the road signs so ended up drifiting between lanes on the rounderbout. comment from the instructor… oh its all right you knew there was no one around. Jounerlist asked about running down through the gears answer was dont do that if you go straight to 1st you could do some mechanical damage.

i did see a good one monday morning on the m20 at about 7am. muppet in a wanna be van doing about 37 on the inside lane. i pulled out to overtake him and as predictable they decided to accelerate along side me. However, this time an artic was pulling out of one of the emergancy zones had seen said muppet poodeling along and decided that he had time to get out concequence was allot of horn blaring and screaching of brakes from said muppet and me wetting myself laughing.

Ps if that was you in the other artic thanks for makiung what was a bad shift better.

It would be interesting to conduct a study to see if there is a correlation between falling driving standards and falling social standards, or perhaps that’s just me being a moody old ■■■■ looking at the past through rose tinted glasses?

I have said this before but believe it is worth repeating; the lack of visible police presence on the roads contributes to motorists not GAF as they know there is next to zero chance of censure regarding bad driving. An unmarked police car only affects the behaviour of one vehicle, which is the one they just pulled over, whereas a marked police patrol car has a positive effect on every vehicle that can see him.

the maoster:
It would be interesting to conduct a study to see if there is a correlation between falling driving standards and falling social standards, or perhaps that’s just me being a moody old ■■■■ looking at the past through rose tinted glasses?

I have said this before but believe it is worth repeating; the lack of visible police presence on the roads contributes to motorists not GAF as they know there is next to zero chance of censure regarding bad driving. An unmarked police car only affects the behaviour of one vehicle, which is the one they just pulled over, whereas a marked police patrol car has a positive effect on every vehicle that can see him.

^^^^^ that. :wink:

the maoster:
or perhaps that’s just me being a moody old ■■■■ looking at the past through rose tinted glasses?

Probably.
But.

the maoster:

Very probably.
The penalty for a crime doesn`t matter much to the offence rate. The perceived likelihood of getting caught does.
Double the fine for motoring offences? Next to nothing.
Double the number of cop cars? !

google.com/search?q=study+r … e&ie=UTF-8

^^^ I understand the lack of police presence because it (along with vehicle maintenance) is one of the first things to be cut when looking at money saving. It’s obviously a false economy I’m sure we can agree, but it’s an obvious target for bean counters as they reason that it’s money wasted as road policing generates very little revenue in real terms.

A quick google search shows me that every fatality on our roads costs the tax payer £2 million. Flooding the roads with marked cars doesn’t seem such a bad deal when you consider that.

the maoster:
^^^ I understand the lack of police presence because it (along with vehicle maintenance) is one of the first things to be cut when looking at money saving. It’s obviously a false economy I’m sure we can agree, but it’s an obvious target for bean counters as they reason that it’s money wasted as road policing generates very little revenue in real terms.

A quick google search shows me that every fatality on our roads costs the tax payer £2 million. Flooding the roads with marked cars doesn’t seem such a bad deal when you consider that.

Nice to (more or less) agree again.
Prevention is always(?) cheaper than the cure.

Bean counters generally know the long term cost/benefit figures.
Politicians however, mostly aren`t looking at the long term, just the next election.

stu675:

Old John:

It’s not a grey area, quite clear in fact.
No idea if police see them as easy pickings or couldn’t care less.
Get your 50 60 70 signs plastered on the back!

The bit in the middle of that linked page Stu.

As a general rule, from the outside, these vehicles will look like the size of a car, but on the inside the vehicle will look like and function as a van

It is a van. It has an insulated fridge body inside, invisible from the outside except for a fridge unit on the roof. 2 sliding side doors, which don’t open, no rear side windows. Double doors on the back (with black glass) which open a good 90 degrees. It’s a van, I always knew it was a van.
But it looks like a car, which I thought was factory adapted to be a van. I couldn’t say which car, possibly the VW SUV. I know you don’t see VW Caddy cars, but that would be because people who buy VW SUVs wouldn’t want to drive a Caddy. So instead of the Tourgan(?) badge it was rebadged as Caddy. I obviously haven’t looked very deeply into this. It looks like a large car, therefore it IS a large car. I’ve never seen the V5 and wouldn’t have thought to look, to see if it was a CDV or not, even if I had :unamused: :unamused:

Old John:
Sacre Bleu, that’s unhandy… Does that mean that it’s 50 on a single carriageway also?

It’ll be the same limits as an M-B Sprinter etc, mon frere :imp: :imp:

Simon:

Old John:
Sacre Bleu, that’s unhandy… Does that mean that it’s 50 on a single carriageway also?

It’ll be the same limits as an M-B Sprinter etc, mon frere :imp: :imp:

Mon Dieu! Nous sommes doomed.

spacemanZ10:
People to reliant on sat nav and not reading road signs.

While sat navs are pretty useful where there’s less or poor signs (plenty of unreadable or missing street signs in our area!) it’s amazing how many vehicles are travelling on major motorways yet the driver seems to have no idea where they are actually heading towards. Classic example is the lane drop where lane 1 is for the exit only, with an outer exit slip lane leading from lane 2 (which will become the new Lane 1). The amount of drivers that slam on the brakes before cutting up traffic while swerving across the chevrons and solid white lines at the last second is unreal. If they’d read the signs they’d have noticed staying in their lane they could have still taken the exit.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk