What does this symbol mean?

i actually asked a tacho bloke what it means… but have since forgot its IMS or summat if i remember rightly said all trucks built after a certain date in 2012 will have it on tacho head sorry i cant remember exactly but he did say its got nothing to do with the ignition being off

dtco.vdo.com/generator/www/c … ds_en.html

This is a link to download the handbooks for vdo tachos. If you scroll down to the English handbook for the 2.1 version of the DTCO and download it, then go to page 17, it tells you exactly what the symbol is for. It seems like its some sort of GPS recording thingy.

Edit. The link didn’t work as I expected. You’ll need to select the following first:
Section 1- Tachograph.
Section 2- Digital Tachograph
Section 3- User Manuals.

damoq:
http://www.dtco.vdo.com/generator/www/com/en/vdo/dtco/service_support/downloads_updates/downloads_en.html

This is a link to download the handbooks for vdo tachos. If you scroll down to the English handbook for the 2.1 version of the DTCO and download it, then go to page 17, it tells you exactly what the symbol is for. It seems like its some sort of GPS recording thingy.

Edit. The link didn’t work as I expected. You’ll need to select the following first:
Section 1- Tachograph.
Section 2- Digital Tachograph
Section 3- User Manuals.

Symbol after ignition off means
IMS function (independent motion signal ) available.

DTCO 2.0: efficient, future-proof and part of future intelligent transport systems

-Latest generation of the digital tachograph with integral 1-minute rule, simplified remote download and greater data security
-Innovative VDO Counter guarantees full driver information

Villingen-Schwenningen/Germany, July, 11 2012. VDO is bringing the digital tachograph into line with current regulations and once again making it more efficient, convenient and secure in fleet management operations. Like the previous version, the DTCO 2.0 implements the “1-minute rule”; moreover, the new DTCO provides improved remote download of tachograph data. But that’s not all: With this new generation VDO complies with the latest security requirements of the European Union and makes the DTCO even more resistant to tampering. Yet the star feature of this new device in the cockpit of vans, buses and trucks will be the optional VDO Counter, which guarantees comprehensive driver information and will be available on the aftermarket this fall with version DTCO 2.0a.

VDO customers already benefited from the “1-minute rule” with the DTCO 1.4: The electronics are so programmed that the longest activity within a given minute determines whether the minute will be classified as driving time or resting time. Especially in short-range distribution work, in traffic jams, or standing in line waiting for customs clearance, when the vehicle often is moved only for a few seconds and otherwise stands still for a long time, the drivers can save valuable driving time thanks to this rule. It goes without saying that the function of the 1-minute rule also is incorporated in the DTCO 2.0.

Another new feature is the improved wireless remote download. In conjunction with the VDO Download Device (DLD) Wide Range, DTCO data can be transmitted from anywhere. In the past, however, the remote retrieval of data only was possible when the vehicle was in operation. As of DTCO 2.0, the fleet manager now can read out the memory even when the vehicle is stopped and include this up-to-date information in his planning. As soon as a signal is received from fleet headquarters, the DTCO automatically is activated by a “Wake Up” signal and download launched. The driver will not be required to interrupt his break or his sleep.

vdo.com/generator/www/com/en … _0_en.html

So in simple terms, if you’re parked in a layby on break or rest and take 29 seconds to move up bit, it will continue to record break or rest throughout?

Yes. Thats about the top and bottom of it.

Driveroneuk:
So in simple terms, if you’re parked in a layby on break or rest and take 29 seconds to move up bit, it will continue to record break or rest throughout?

It could be even better - you could take up to 58 seconds to move, as long as 29 seconds are in one ‘calendar minute’ and the other 29 are in the next one. I also got told that if you have one minute of driving, with break either side of that minute, it will count the middle minute as break also, so you could potentially have 1m 58s of driving as long as it was spread carefully over the 3 minute window. Obviously the speed trace would still be recorded though, so there would be evidence of movement if it was looked into closely enough and soon enough afterwards.

Gary