What does this do?

Posting this in here rather than the newbie section since I thought it would be the best place to get an answer. I’m a newly qualified class 2 driver and have been doing agency work for the past few weeks. I’ve noticed that most trucks I’ve driven have had a strange dial on the dash which I daren’t touch as I’ve no idea what it could be for. Last thing I drove was a 26ton DAF CF which also had one of these seemingly futile gadgets. Gave it a little go and it just span infinitely and didn’t seem to do anything… any ideas?? Also drove an old MAN 18t and ERF 26 ton which also had one…

Can’t find any decent pictures of it to post but it’s sort of closest to the driver slightly below the heater controls…

I believe they’re more commonly known as … clocks. :grimacing:

What’s it say on the dial and what do the numbers start at and end at? etc

Hi Chris 89

It works the computer. If you press it you’ll get a menu up on the display. Gives fuel consumption, oil level, warnings and other info.

GeoffTee:
Hi Chris 89

It works the computer. If you press it you’ll get a menu up on the display. Gives fuel consumption, oil level, warnings and other info.

Ah, yeah of course. I know what he means now. When he said dial I thought he was on about something with the needle and some numbers on etc.

Yep, Geoff is right.

Ah sweet, so I have to press it in first and then use the ‘dial’ to flick through the menu.

No idea what it was on the old MAN thing then as there was certainly no menus on that thing :open_mouth: Cab was like proper 80’s stylie…

Chris, slightly off topic but the best tip I ever got when I started out was to buy “the trucker’s handbook” by lisa something or other iirc. Half the book’s advice, tips and what buttons do what etc and the rest’s good places to eat and fuel places. Some of it may seem a bit patronising but I found myself thinking “ah! wondered what that did / how to do that” on many occasions.

If only I could remember where I put it - would like to have a re-read incase there’s any gems for my first few runs in an artic.

Nice one darkseeker, that sounds pretty useful - will have to check it out!

A tenner from WH Smiths, I bought this when I first started I still find it useful now for truckstop listings and the fuel cards they use.

whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSear … pe=Froogle

First thing I do is press all the buttons, even if they say ‘do not press’. :smiley:

bowserman:
First thing I do is press all the buttons, even if they say ‘do not press’. :smiley:

so its not only me then :laughing:

:laughing: as long as it’s not; Red, covered by a flip-up safety thing or marked “eject” it’s all part of the fun :laughing:

Drove an oldish scania the other day and the seat was buggered - just stayed at its lowest position, no bouncy air. but while I was trying to get it to work first thing in the morning I pressed a switch on it’s side which didn’t do anything, I spent the first hour of the day unbelievably hot - then I realised it was a heated seat :blush:

there’s a button on this scanny that I’m just dying to press lol. it’s some sort of panic alarm I think but I’m too scared to press it incase I can’t get the thing to shut up :laughing:

Steve-o:
there’s a button on this scanny that I’m just dying to press lol. it’s some sort of panic alarm I think but I’m too scared to press it incase I can’t get the thing to shut up :laughing:

if it’s a picture of a man running away from some sound waves it might be the same as my car’s got; it turns the ultra-sonic sensors off inside the car to stop the dog setting the alarm off. I used to think it was a panick alarm and couldn’t work out why nothing seemed to happen when I pressed it!

Those panic alarms are a PITA, I have one on the key to my car, it’s the same shape as the boot release button, guess what button I keep pushing when I walk out to my car with armfuls of gear :blush: It doesn’t matter how many times I push the other buttons it keeps on blaring away, just a good job I don’t leave for work in the middle of the night :laughing:

darkseeker:

Steve-o:

if it’s a picture of a man running away from some sound waves it might be the same as my car’s got; it turns the ultra-sonic sensors off inside the car to stop the dog setting the alarm off. I used to think it was a panick alarm and couldn’t work out why nothing seemed to happen when I pressed it!

No it’s a speaker with sound waves coming from it. I have to press the remote a million times for it to finally open the doors so ■■■■ relying on that to shut up an alarm lol

:laughing: spot on for a “quiet” msa at night then :blush:

darkseeker:
:lol: as long as it’s not; Red, covered by a flip-up safety thing or marked “eject” it’s all part of the fun :laughing:

Drove an oldish scania the other day and the seat was buggered - just stayed at its lowest position, no bouncy air. but while I was trying to get it to work first thing in the morning I pressed a switch on it’s side which didn’t do anything, I spent the first hour of the day unbelievably hot - then I realised it was a heated seat :blush:

PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The DAF CF I drove (the one with the mysterious dial) was the same. I couldn’t work out how to get the air seat working. There were only two buttons on the side of it, one leant it forward, and the other back. Also the lever on the back to recline the backrest. Didn’t seem to have the ‘bouncy seat’ option :open_mouth:

some dont have an “air” seat Chris, usually the old bags of [zb], just to make your day even better :unamused:

Well I though perhaps it hasn’t got one, but it was a 52plate so not really THAT old, it had all the kind of rubber wotsit all around the bottom of the seat too.