What do you think?

Ok, has been placed in a bit of a dilema and i’m not really sure what or how to deal with it… here goes

Been working with this agencies for the past month or so, been getting regular bookings, it’s in a nice place, wagons are tidy and the work is fantastic, i absolutely love working there. Anyway, couple of weeks ago, i was talking to the transport clerk and he was telling me that there were vacancies coming up and he gave me an application form. Anyway, after chatting with myself about it, i decided that i wasn’t going to put the application in because i need the flexibility of the agency because of my little one. So i didn’t put it in. So goes into work yesterday to find an envelope with a letter inviting me to an interview.

Not sure how i’m feeling about it and what the heck to do, i’ve had this before and i called me gaffer last night and informed him, he was a bit miffed about it all. He checked the position out for me and said that if i didn’t take the job it wouldn’t affect me going in there with them, they’d still gladly have me in there.

So, first off, should i go to the interview and see what there offering or just refuse point blank on the grounds of inflexibility on there part if i was to take a full time position with them?

AND

Why am i always gettin into these positions.■■? smiles

Cheers for any advise in advance…

Tiggz

Firstly you have to ask yourself if you want a full time job, as you said, things can be awkward arranging around your child, so the agency in your situation would be ideal.
For instance, if you need a day off tomorow, you just phone in and say that you cant work, no hardship, they just find another driver.
However, if you decide to work for company then you wouldnt be able to adopt this kind of work.

But point one is the biggest question, do you want a full time job or not?

Two things which I would bear in mind here…

The first is that there is no reason why you can’t go to the interview and lay your cards on the table, especially having established that your agency position would not be jeapardised (or however you spell it) by doing this…

…The second is that there was a whole rake of legislation which came in in April last year (I think) which makes it a legal obligation for employers to consider flexible working for anyone who is main carer for a child under 5, unless they can justify refusing for “sound business reasons”…now whilst this is by no means comprehensive enough to ensure that everyone gets a fair crack (so to speak), the fact that you have been able to fit in quite happily on your terms whilst working through the agency would put you in a very strong position…

…Even if your child is over 5, or the employer manages to get out of this one, bear in mind that they also have a legal obligation to allow you reasonable time off to care for dependants in an emergency, albeit unpaid, which should cover you in case of ear infections, childminders catching flu and the like… :wink:

If you can get that side of things sorted out, then it’s down to a choice between money and security. For me, security wins hands down every time, but I know that’s not the case for everyone.

Good luck, whatever you decide…!:mrgreen:

tiggz:
Why am i always gettin into these positions.■■? smiles

Cheers for any advise in advance…

Tiggz

Maybe because you are good at your job and come across as the sort of person that company would want on the books. :smiley:

My advice is similar to the others , you like the company and the job so go for the interview and explain your situation and see if they can do a deal.

Is this really such a hard decision Tiggz? It seems to me that an anxiety about the consequencies is what is holding you back.

My take would be this. Because you never submitted the application form and they have invited you to an interview you are in fact being head hunted. Now that would put you in quite a strong position as they would seem to be going through a recruitment process but already know the outcome they want i.e. YOU as an employee. You can use this to get terms that will be favourable to you, like child care friendly work patterns.

Second I would think that your times of availability may be consistent with the times when the existing workforce is not willing or available (why else would they be using agency people if they had their own people available).

Go for it young lady, be aware of what you want with regard to shift patterns, and be prepared to say thanks but no thanks. Good luck.

BEWARE!Transport managers speak with forked tongue!They will promise you the earth verbally but ask for that in writing before you start and watch them back-pedal.If you stay as you are,no problem.If you take the job on and all promises are kept( :open_mouth: :laughing: ) no problem.If you take the job and things don,t work out how will you stand then?In my experience 95% will tell you what you want to hear at the interview but deny all knowledge of any promises made or will give you 101 reasons why they couldn’t stick to your agreement.

Tiggz (prrrr)
I think they have offered you an interview because you have already proved your commitment to the job.

You probably havent needed any time off for toofache and poorly tummy mummy, As said earlier any decent agency will cope if you ring up and have a day off.

If you work full time they are not always so understanding but then again you have shown you are keen to please.

This inane rambling probably doesnt help you one bit!

Go for it! Full time is better than Agency

Firstly, ignore Tartan. Yes gaffers feed you rubbish sometimes, but if you treat them right, more often than not, they are flexible, or so I’ve found.

Secondly, be upfront with them. It certainly sounds like they want you on the team. Why not give em a chance to accomodate you?

Thirdly some agencies will charge the company an arm and a leg to let you go, so male sure you don’t get your hopes up until an offer is in your paws in writing. All said, I got a job in the same way. In the end the agency did a deal and I had to work a further 11 weeks for the agency before I got on the books of the company, but it was worth the wait in terms of a good pay increase.

You go for it, what have you got to lose? :wink:
I bet it feels good to be wanted. :smiley:

Lostpup:
Firstly, ignore Tartan. Yes gaffers feed you rubbish sometimes, but if you treat them right, more often than not, they are flexible, or so I’ve found.

I agree but the problem is, half the lies they tell arn’t the truth! :open_mouth:

Lostpup:

Ignore me at your peril.I speak from more years of experience than you Lostpup and not just mine but mates of mine too.I started this job on 5th Jan this year,at the interview the gaffer told me there are two days you can’t book as holiday,Christmas day and Easter Sunday due to the nature of the job.That was no problem with me I could work round that.I always head north for Christmas/Hogmanay to see my lad and friends and family…When I go depends exactly on when I’m working but I always have one or the other,it’s important to me.Two weeks after I’ve started a notice goes up ,due to the demands of the business NO holidays can be booked from 18/12 to 05/01.Now that was one of the most important aspects of the job for me and I could go on but i think I’ve demonstrated my point.
Secondly, be upfront with them. It certainly sounds like they want you on the team. Why not give em a chance to accomodate you?

Thirdly some agencies will charge the company an arm and a leg to let you go, so male sure you don’t get your hopes up until an offer is in your paws in writing. All said, I got a job in the same way. In the end the agency did a deal and I had to work a further 11 weeks for the agency before I got on the books of the company, but it was worth the wait in terms of a good pay increase.

You go for it, what have you got to lose? :wink:
I bet it feels good to be wanted. :smiley:
[/quote]

Lostpup:

Ignore me at your peril.I speak from more years of experience than you Lostpup and not just mine but mates of mine too.I started this job on 5th Jan this year,at the interview the gaffer told me there are two days you can’t book as holiday,Christmas day and Easter Sunday due to the nature of the job.That was no problem with me I could work round that.I always head north for Christmas/Hogmanay to see my lad and friends and family…When I go depends exactly on when I’m working but I always have one or the other,it’s important to me.Two weeks after I’ve started a notice goes up ,due to the demands of the business NO holidays can be booked from 18/12 to 05/01.Now that was one of the most important aspects of the job for me and I could go on but i think I’ve demonstrated my point. :confused:

Go for an interview & see what they say. Your agency might want paying also so check with them too

Two weeks after I’ve started a notice goes up ,due to the demands of the business NO holidays can be booked from 18/12 to 05/01

Im pritty sure that is a change to your employment contract. You may not have signed one this early but if you have Id speak to a solicitor about it. Even if you havent the was a verbal agreement of sorts

what i would check before you decide which ever way you decide is the fact how safe is the job ■■.If you are hearing about redundancys layoffs or even cutbacks be warned last in first out !!.You will find a lot of companys take on agency workers full time to cover there drivers,this is just to have a full work force when the redundancys come round you are the first to be given the push,this can and does save them a fortune in redundancy pay !!..so how safe is the job??..Well perhaps it good and easy work,but perhaps a little more experience wont go amiss,try another firm for while then later if the jobs still there, take it. Just weary of manner from heaven

Still on probation though…the guv’nor seems a decent enough lad and nearer the time I will make a discrete approach :wink:

Snip>>Thirdly some agencies will charge the company an arm and a leg to let you go, so male sure you don’t get your hopes up until an offer is in your paws in writing

I was offered a job a few years ago at a place an agency had put me in, when the agency found out they told the employer he would have to pay the agency £1200 as an introduction fee, it was legally binding because there was a clause written into his contract with them (standard agency contract), needless to say, I dropped the agency telling them that they did not own me so i wasnt having them making money like that out of me, their reply was that if I worked for this employer through them for 12 weeks they would let him off the fee, they got told to stuff it & I went elsewhere so they both lost out!
If you decide to accept the job, tell the agency you are going to work somewhere completely different so you dont find yourself in the situation I was in. :wink:

Given your circumstances Tiggz, I would stay on agency as I think it’s unlikely you will be offered the job on your terms. I’ve no doubt that you will be offered the job should you apply and the gaffer will verbally agree to your terms, but like tartanraider, in my experience what’s said verbally may as well be dismissed as it having never happened once you’re on for them direct.

You could say that you’ll take the job on your terms but only on condition that you get your terms in writing within 7 days, but this wouldn’t go down well with the gaffer and I doubt it would materialise.

When I started for Featherstone’s I asked for my contract of employment in writing as condition for taking the job. I was promised that I’d have it within 2 weeks but 2 months later I still don’t have it. When it comes to the situation of things like holidays, sick pay, giving notice to leave etc I can see trouble ahead already.

Contracts of employment never seem that important at the time but you can guarantee that the lack of it in your hand will cause you grief with your gaffer at some point.

The same thing happend to me recently, but the agency wanted £ 1700. The employer wasn’t willing to pay it and I lost out on a really good job.

The agency’s point of view is that they have introduced you to the employer and as such they are entitled to an introduction fee,sems fair to me.If an employer,who is well aware of the agency terms and conditions baulks at paying them it begs the question,how would the employer treat you? :confused:

tartanraider:
The agency’s point of view is that they have introduced you to the employer and as such they are entitled to an introduction fee,sems fair to me.If an employer,who is well aware of the agency terms and conditions baulks at paying them it begs the question,how would the employer treat you? :confused:

Then why not charge the agency a transfer fee then?? i reckon that would stop there ■■■■■■■ in church!!!