which I said ok to. He phones back saying the
company dont want you as I passed my car test
after jan 97 and did not have 7.5 ton entitlement
on my licence. The agency told this guy I had my
class 2 which means I can drive 7.5 ton truck but
he said I still cannot do the job as I only got my
licence this year so I havent got 2 years experience
even though I am 25 years old.

:confused: Sounds like your agency is talking out of their arse. Maybe they just decided another well in type is to get the job, for what ever reason. :slight_smile:

It’s strange that you should get all these jobs driving class 2 trucks with no problem yet are turned away from one driving a 7.5 tonner although technically they are correct with regard to the experience.

I don’t think its the agency DAFMAD as
he could have told me they have someone
for that job as he was waiting for them to call
him back to see if they had found a driver. He
also sounded wound up on the phone as they
had a bit of a row.

:slight_smile: Well from what you’ve said Convoy you’re better off without the particular job. :slight_smile:

DAFMAD:
:slight_smile: Well from what you’ve said Convoy you’re better off without the particular job. :slight_smile:

Maybe so DAFMAD he could have been one of those
people who keeps phoning where are you now ect.

It was working for a company just off junction 29 M1
near clay cross delivering Alco Pops to york and a place
called cert near the stockyard truckstop and back to the
yard job done.

It could be that their insurance stipulates that all drivers must have had their license for 2+ years - this is the case for a number of companies (e.g. Safeway, as I found out when I got turned away). In that case, you would be driving without insurance.

Yes, it’s a bummer, but there’s not much you can do. Sorry. :frowning:

It’s that thing again isn’t it - no job without experience, no experience without job - Catch [zb] 22 :unamused:

Spitfire:
It’s that thing again isn’t it - no job without experience, no experience without job - Catch [zb] 22 :unamused:

True, but the experience issue is flexible ie if they couldn’t get anyone they might take a chance on someone (it does happen), however, the insurance aspect is black and white as MrFlibble mentions above.

I know some places ‘can’ take on inexperienced drivers, but then they have to pay their insurers an added premium.

An example is Tesco.com, they’ll take people on with 3 points as standard, but that ‘can’ take on those with 6, however this means they then have to pay an added premium for that particular driver, hence they prefer not to take them on. Depends how desparate they are.

I agree with DAFMAD mate. They sound like a ■■■■■ lot so just look for something else.

It’s crap really that in this day and age companies generalise people like this.

I am about the same age as you Convoy, and I find it so frustrating to hear stuff like that :imp:

I cannot work for Tesco at the new chilled DC in Peterborough because of my age, even though they say I am exactly what they are looking for!

I went for a job with Fowler Welch Coolchain last year. They were a bit apprehensive about me to start with, but I had the interview and driving assessment anyway.
Result - they offered me the job on the spot with a 6 month old Actros Megaspace to call my own. I don’t even think they had finished interviewing all the applicants

I think that unless it’s an insurance issue, if you can get your foot in the door so they can see you’re not a heavy-right-footed, tyre-shredding, back-to-front-baseball-cap-wearing chav, companies will change their ideas. :smiley:

mrpj:
however, the insurance aspect is black and white as MrFlibble mentions above.

Point taken - I’ve put me reading glasses & thinking hat on now :blush: