What do you say

When the office accuse you of hanging the job out or say where have you been etc whether banter or serious what do you say?

Prove it!!!

Check my tacho.

I’d just ask what or who they are comparing me to. Explaining that they didn’t spec the truck with the optional wings and jet engines doesn’t always go down well lol

Mine know problems happen and they never ring you as a rule they just ask that if you go somewhere and the tip breaks down and you will be a while to let them know so they can arrange someone to do your next job if need be.

My usual reply consists of : of course I have, I’m hourly paid and it’s the only way I can make any decent money here. Alternatives are: don’t blame me blame the moron doing the routing, have you seen the traffic out there, there’s the keys you have a go while I drink coffee in this nice office, get stuffed. Personally I don’t take much notice of people saying that type of rubbish, they have no idea what type of day you have had. If you like them turn it into a joke, if you don’t then use any of the above or you could always ignore them.

tell them if the other drivers are getting it done quicker than you then they are obviously cutting corners.

Nothing, because I’ve never been accused of hanging it out (I never get caught :sunglasses: )

Not sure it’d deserve a response tbh, can they do it quicker whilst obeying all laws etc?

Some drivers have screwed it for others by tipping on break, flat out on singles and duals etc.

I really don’t care, just plod around 50mph on a motorway (unless I’m in a Scumia, then I’m flat out or I can’t stay in top gear), and obey all other limits, if I’ve been doing 40 in a single and approach a dual, I’ll usually let people behind me pass before I consider increasing to 50mph.

I have recorded breaks on the doors, containers is fine, but I’ve done it now and then in a taut to enable me a better place to take my break, if they ask about multiple breaks, then I might have to sort a response.

You will always get arrisholes looking for medals by having their breaks whilst tipping or loading.It ruins it for everyone else,then your expected to do same :imp:

BIGRIG:
You will always get arrisholes looking for medals by having their breaks whilst tipping or loading.It ruins it for everyone else,then your expected to do same :imp:

Couldn’t agree more!

Some people treat a days work like a race, who can get back first… Or you get “I would of been back hours ago” :unamused:

Essexboy:

BIGRIG:

Couldn’t agree more!

Some people treat a days work like a race, who can get back first… Or you get “I would of been back hours ago” :unamused:

We have a couple of them at our place, I cant be arsed and either go home for an hour or so or hide in a boozer and have a few games of pool (pain in the arse on slack days trying to get 6 wagons in the pub car park :laughing: )

The reply to the question asked by the OP
“Today no, but youve given me an idea for tomorrow”

Keep em guessing :wink:

Essexboy:

BIGRIG:

Couldn’t agree more!

Yes i once worked with a chap like this, the blue eyed boy who raced about like a madhead, running red lights at night etc Only 30 years old he was but blood pressure tablets he was on. :grimacing:

Say nothing, let them rant and moan and when they’ve finished ask them what your next job is.

If you react they know they are getting under your skin, they won’t be putting anything about hurrying up in writing, if you keep quiet they have to continue talking, if they say nothing assume the conversation is over…sod 'em.

it would depend upon whether i had been stringing it out or not

If you think you can do it better, then here’s the keys you front bottom.

Standard response to every other observant birth canal who thinks they know better than me. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Happydaze:
If you think you can do it better, then here’s the keys you front bottom.

Standard response to every other observant birth canal who thinks they know better than me. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You said it for me, A bit of banter is fine by me, the office staff know there are other deliveries in front of me because I always stay in touch.

As far as hanging the job out is concerned if I drive any slower there’s a danger I’ll get nicked for kerb crawling. Just learn to give a good repose, when the office learn you are likely to cut them down with a witty one liner the less chance they will say anything in the first place. It doesn’t have to be unpleasant make sure there are others within earshot and give it a go, get a few chuckling and they soon lip up.

“Yeah - sorry about that, but my usual layby was full so I had to make a bit of a detour.”

“I was hanging it out so I didnt show [insert name here] up.”

“I would have got back sooner but I had to keep stopping to phone back to explain why I was running late.”

“As a general rule - If I get out of the yard on time - I get back on time.”

Firstly i tell them I`m in a D.A.F. not the R.A.F., and if someone can do it quicker…let them…
Next, we were given a letter stating that it is legal to take a break on a loading bay, and if Vosa says anything, we are to give them a number to call.

I once got called into the oriface because i dared to take an unofficial break, upon asking what that was, was told because i had not completed 4.5 hrs of driving, or 6 hrs of other work…i did say that if i cant fill MY fuel tank ( belly ) then im not filling theirs ( fuel tank ). i think some companies are petty, want you to work all hours godsends, have the minimum rest required, and to be at their beck and call at all times...what an industry to be starting out in..im afraid the best years are way behind us.

If the office accuse you of hanging it out…Then you have made one fundamental mistake…

…You gave them the impression that they could speak to you like that.

Start as you mean to go on and all that.