What do you or did you want from your lgv instructor

It looks like I am going back into the LGV instructor game - will know for sure on Monday.
I would like to know what you expect from your LGV instructor - besides being taught to pass the test?
If you recently passed your test, would you have liked your instructor to teach you something else that you now find you need?

Biut what else can be taught in the timescale etc, its ok doing the test area routes and various exercises required to pass the tests but life in the real world is so much different once your let loose on your own.
Bit of Blindside reversing would help id guess that would be the obvious answer.

I recently passed my Class 1 and my instructor started me off with the usual… After about 2 hours he took me back into the industrial estate for some more reversing but instead of doing it around a corner like usual he made me stick in in between two trailers which were parked up… didnt think i could do it but at the end of the week he was putting me in to proper real life situations… this for me proved to be extreamly helpful as i got the jist of what he was saying etc… so if i went again for lessons i would expect this but each to there own i guess

What if you hit the trailers though? I assumed instructors don’t get you to engage in reversing between vehicles for that reason.

He sat next to me watching every single thing i did to ensure that i didnt hit the trailers. i was nervous enough doing it my self and watching out for them. His first words to me were… “If you can drive this backwards you will have no problem going forwards”

A ‘susstificate’ (I know - I’ve been listening to Steve Wright too much :smiley: ) but for everything in life nowadays, even for learning to wipe your own arse, it seems, you get a ‘susstificate’. But not when you pass a test for Vocational Licence. It doesn’t cost a lot to print one out on a decent piece of embossed paper, and provides that ‘Professional’ touch. :wink:

Another low cost ‘add on’, is to use tacho charts, daily. It takes a minute or two at the start and end of each day, and when you’ve got two trainees, it CYA’s should one of them ‘blow’ a camera or unwittingly ‘clout’ a motor. And it teaches the ‘dumb buggers’ (sorry, students) to make sure that they carry their own pen. :smiley:

And it teaches them that there are TWO tacho chart positions. :unamused:

It’s also worth phoning VOSA and getting them to send you a box of WT 807’s (assuming that they have the up to date versions printed). They will happily send you a box of 40 or 50 (FOC), as they will to any Operator that might take the trouble to ask on behalf of their employees :wink:. It’s just a small additional touch when congratulating someone on passing their Test.

ROG:
besides being taught to pass the test?

I always think being taught to drive is better than being taught how to pass a test.

… and how to undo/re do all the multi various types of curtain buckle is very useful. + How to shorten/lengthen the hook strap of the over-centre type buckles.

Years ago i used to think of setting up a training course to teach all the things the schools omitted, though some have since been included like coupling/un-coupling & (with some) how to fill in a tacho.

How to work air suspension on unit AND trailer & level/de-level the outfit for loading/tipping is useful aswell. For instance dropping the unit suspension makes it much easier to lift the front curtain poles out.

Its difficult for schools to teach some of this stuff as many don’t have modern equipment such as air sprung units & trailers.

I think you need to adjust the title (question) of your post, Rog.

WHAT DO YOU OR DID YOU WANT FROM YOUR LGV INSTRUCTOR

. . . . . . . . . and how much would you be prepared to pay for the ‘extras’■■

At the moment, instructors do what they need to i.e. teach you to pass the test. Even they feel the ‘squeeze’ that the rest of the transport industry is feeling and so if a student wants more than ‘to pass the test’, then it will cost. Neither fuel or time come for free!!!

I’d suggest that the instructors with the best reputation are the ones that are patient, calm, really know what they’re talking about* and don’t kick the arse out of tea-break-time. Aim to be one of them and that should give a student everything he/she would want.

*I’ve had candidates on test (Cat D), during the manoeuvring exercise, get out and check the distance-to-barrier; when they then fail the test they usually say “my instructor taught me that way”, when in fact, the get-out-and-check option only applies to C or C+E (i.e. goods vehicles, not passenger vehicles). :unamused:

Thanks for the input so far - keep em coming.
I know that if you want something that takes time or uses fuel etc, then it is going to cost extra but I am more interested in the little helpful add-ons such as filling in a tacho or an explanation of WTD (yes, it is written down but to a lot of people a verbal explanation carries more weight as you cannot question a piece of paper).

i’d say reversing into a cone box round a corner to simulate reversing onto an RDC bay would be helpful but that takes away from practise time for the reverse thats actually on the test i suppose. coming back for a further days “real world” training is something i intend to do if i pass
you should do a mock test the day before the real test

How about english lessons while you drive …Could be onto a winner there what with all our euro brethren taking our jobs :wink:

(if it pays off i want commision for the idea)

Having recently (Feb’) passed my test :smiley: I would suggest just teaching to drive the thing, as against passing the test :wink:
I was lucky, the place I did mine [in Crosshands :wink: :laughing: ] pride themselves on teaching to drive, not just “pass the test”, working on the principle “if you can drive it, you should pass the test, but if you pass the test, can you drive it■■?”
Their pass rate is very high :wink:

The only extra I personally think would be useful is “real life” reversing, the test reverse is pathetic :confused: we did some, but not IMHO, enough.

skorpio:
The only extra I personally think would be useful is “real life” reversing, the test reverse is pathetic :confused: we did some, but not IMHO, enough.

I totally agree with you.
I failed a class 1 assessement drive on my reverse.
So I went and paid for four more hours training just doing reversing. I learnt a lot that day. How to approach a bay and reverse plus actual controling unit to trailer whilst reversing etc. Real life stuff that you don’t get trained on whilst training to pass your test.
A very valuable four hours.
If you are looking for reversing lessons then I’d definetley recommend http://www.priestleylgv.co.uk/
They were superb from start to finish.

BL.

Driveroneuk:
How to work air suspension on unit AND trailer & level/de-level the outfit for loading/tipping is useful aswell. For instance dropping the unit suspension makes it much easier to lift the front curtain poles out.

Eh? This a tip for short people or does it release some pressure on the pole. I’ve never had a problem with that.

BIG LEBOWSKI:
So I went and paid for four more hours training just doing reversing. I learnt a lot that day.

That’s my point!! You wanted more time/practice doing reversing - no problem!!! You just had to put your hand (deep) in your pocket.

The set-up at this time (with 99.99% of driving schools) is to teach you to pass the test, nothing more. I’m sure all of them could give you lots more info/practice/skills/knowledge etc etc but it will cost money!!

Hence the reason I suggested to ROG that the title of his post needed adjusting. If he is asking ‘What else do you / did you want from your instructor for free?’ I think that it is an irrelevant question. :bulb:

Sockpuppet:

Driveroneuk:

Eh? This a tip for short people or does it release some pressure on the pole. I’ve never had a problem with that.

At 5’ 9" with the bottom of the poles often at chest level & many times not easy to lift out, i find lowering the unit suspension makes it much easier.

Why struggle with something when you can easily make the job easier? Like if pallet trucking pallets in from the back, again lower the unit suspension (& if necessary lift the trailer) so the pallet truck is going down hill.

edit:

Sockpuppet:
I’ve never had a problem with that.

Sockpuppet:
I’m looking for some strong rigger style gloves for trailer work. The problem is I have big hands. I’m a size 12 and most “large” gloves are size 10.

maybe that has something to do with it?
[/quote]

What I will want on my Class 1 when I take it is less time in the Transport cafes and more time on the road,
I am in Leicester and will be looking for somewhere to train soon Rog , Ill be interested to know in what your company will be doing . . I passed first time in Feb but an earlier post i made somewhere here on the forums explained just how ill equiped I was and still am to a large degree to do this job , weights , heights , loads , tyre pressures, weather conditions , vehicle maintainenace , spelling lol , loading, unloadeing even. , tachos and wtd , they all need teaching to us but like the other posts say , Who will pay ■■

So I went and paid for four more hours training just doing reversing. I learnt a lot that day. How to approach a bay and reverse plus actual controling unit to trailer whilst reversing etc. Real life stuff that you don’t get trained on whilst training to pass your test.
A very valuable four hours.
If you are looking for reversing lessons then I’d definetley recommend priestleylgv.co.uk/
They were superb from start to finish.

Thanks for the compliments Big. I am glad we were able to help, but as has already been mentioned on here, after a training course with a driving school you should not have needed to come to us for extra training, you should have been taught all this on your course but sadly too many schools simply concentrate on just getting the trainee past the test and not on ‘trucker training’ which is what they will all be at the end of the day.

As for what Rog asks about what to tell trainees then the answer is ‘as much as possible’ no extra information is wasted and always appreciated, but be csareful not to blind them with too much science. A little here and there is enough when they are trying to take in so much to begin with.
I always used to make my trainees drop the trailer - before it was a requirement on test - simply because they would be expected to do it in the real world and having them practice beforehand often stopped them either being nervous about it or making themselves look silly by having to ask for help on their first trailer drop. All practical things help.