What do the 'established' drivers think of intensive courses

as in 6 days solid training from a standard C1+E license holder like me, to C (not C+E yet, that’ll come soon after).

A good way to make sure the goods don’t fall out the brain, or a surefire way to burn out and forget it all?

Better for younger drivers than older ones with more bad habits?

I’m not so much after advice cos I’m committed and I’m happy with the instructors reputation - more for opinions and feedback.

i think they are a good thing.
getting your licence is the only concideration you need at the moment,the learning and experience soon follow :slight_smile:

ditto Daz and also it means there’s not a week or so between lessons to forget things

Do it. Best way. Everything’s still fresh in your mind that way…

…one thing to consider though…and I know this isn’t a cheap option, but if you are looking at driving Class 1 ( C+E ) in the long term, well worth considering…

When I did my Class 1 I had been driving rigids for a year first. The hard part was not so much learning to drive the artic as learning not to “think rigid”. The road positioning etc. were sufficiently different that I really did have to retrain my mind very conciously - invariably the mistakes I made were when I started to get confident, went onto “autopilot” and got a kerb because I forgot I had a trailer…

Talking to my instructor at the time (a man of many years experience) he said that it was far harder to train people who had driven rigids than those who went straight onto artics in the “good old days” before the rules changed.
He also said that people who had gained a rigid license but never used it found it far easier to upgrade.

So in an ideal world, I’d do either a very intensive (but expensive) course which takes you through both tests or do your C+E as soon as you can afford afterwards, preferably without driving much rigid in between times… :wink:

Just a thought…:grimacing:

I drove rigids for a few years before doing my class 1 and made the switch no problem.Now if you put me in a rigid I have to really think and concentrate and I can’t park my car for toffee! Artic though,no problem :smiley:

tartanraider:
I drove rigids for a few years before doing my class 1 and made the switch no problem.Now if you put me in a rigid I have to really think and concentrate and I can’t park my car for toffee! Artic though,no problem :smiley:

Yeah, I ditto that.

Cheers.

I did a weeks intensive a few weeks back for my class 2 (C), i had never driven a lorry before and have been a car driver for 17 years, i would recomend it to anyone, (i passed on second attempt) and following on from LucyR’s comments i intend do do my C&E asap, as my instructor also said its far easier to train someone who hasnt had the opportunity and time to pick up bad habbits on a rigid, so if you can afford to do it go for it, my C&E is booked for November.

I think the intensive courses are a good thing.

When I went for my Class C the company I used said the course would be Days 1,2,3 8am-4pm ish & day 4 8am-12pm driving tuition with the test early afternoon on day 4. There would also be another student in the cab too. :open_mouth: Wondeful, I thought there’s not a cat in hells chance of me being able to practise and learn everything in what would amount to be about 12-13 hours driving, if that. :frowning: £650 down the drain I thought. But when the course began I was glad there was another student there. When he was driving I was watching him and learning from his mistakes and vice versa. Day 4 came, took the test and passed first time with 4 minors. :smiley:

So this is definitely the way I’d advise people to train and also found it beneficial to have another student there too.

Paul.

Yeti:
When I went for my Class C the company I used said the course would be Days 1,2,3 8am-4pm ish & day 4 8am-12pm driving tuition with the test early afternoon on day 4. There would also be another student in the cab too. :open_mouth: Wondeful, I thought there’s not a cat in hells chance of me being able to practise and learn everything in what would amount to be about 12-13 hours driving, if that. :frowning: £650 down the drain I thought. But when the course began I was glad there was another student there. When he was driving I was watching him and learning from his mistakes and vice versa. Day 4 came, took the test and passed first time with 4 minors. :smiley:

Did the same myself - 5 days with the tests on the afternoon of the last day. Having someone else there is great cos, as you say, you get to see their mistakes and so on so you’re effectively getting some extra free training. I have the added advantage that the other learner was a mate so we knew we got on before we even started.

Paul

I think that an intensive course is the only way to go, at least for an older driver like me. It would have been difficult to wipe out some of the bad habits I had acquired if the lessons had been spread out. I passed Cat C this afternoon at Perth at the second attempt. My course last week was five days one-to-one, since my fellow learner had to drop out at the last minute. It suited me well, although I was glad it was only half days spent driving.

I am going for C+E early November before the “learning” mode wears off.

I should say too that I have been reading these forums for many weeks prior to doing the course and found them really invaluable. Thanks all.

rgds

:slight_smile: Welcome to TruckNet, petrock, and Congratulations on the test result ! !

Took all my licences in the army. Did it the hard way, Class III, Class II and then C+E. All courses were intensive one week courses with the tests being on the Friday. Spent time as an instructor and easily the best way to teach is one on two intensive course. :wink: :wink:

Sorry didn’t answer your question really on earlier post but I did the intensive type course and it’s the way to go