What defects are ok to continue

Got in a truck the other day and it had a amber warning light lit and display said “No abs protection available”

The transport manager said Mercedes had said it was still safe to continue. Its done it before.

This was at the start of the shift.

Should I have still taken out the truck or said sorry but I dont feel safe and refuse to take it out?

It was also booked in at the end of the shift anyway to be taken to Mercedes as it was a known problem.

Just wondered if it was a definate no - dont take it out …or whether it was down to me and how I felt about it?

What would you do?

look at it like traffic lights…red means stop…yellow means get your foot down and crack on…although no doubt you will be hearing the exact opposite from the armchair vikings very shortly… :slight_smile:

None. Write out defect, give top copy to boss man, wait for garage.
I’m not a fan of ‘refusing’ to do something, but think of it like this, truck mows down a crowd of people and it comes to light in court that the driver took it out with a brake warning light on. You’ve got to look after no1.

Have come across a few LGVs in my time where the orange ABS light is on and on every occasion it was found to be an electrical fault causing a false warning … not saying they are all electrical faults but it does seem common cause from my experience

Gotta catch that ferry eh dog? :wink:

It should work like this. You write a defect and the truck doesn’t move until you get that signed off.
But it’s funny how the other end of the contract doesn’t want to play the game, so be persistent…

As said above, you don’t want to be standing in the dock! :open_mouth:

But if it was an Adblue issue like the truck reporting an exhaust problem, I’d say it’s not safety critical and crack on after verbal confirmation from the powers that be…

If you’re on agency then get worried if no warning lights come on as that usually means someone pulled the fuses to mask a major problem!

ABS warnings seem to be virtually guaranteed with DAF’s as I’ve had that warning on every single DAF I’ve driven, and quite a few Mercs, but as mentioned it’s apparently (according to the various company mechanics) just a common glitch in the electrics for the sensor not the actual ABS. “STOP” warnings are usually a bit more worth taking notice of, although it seems on a DAF (seeing a pattern here?) if it does that just boot the heavy pedal when starting and it goes away. If it’s still there then call the office for advice so you don’t blow the engine up.

If anything comes up on the walkround check such as lights out, anything falling off or leaking air etc then I’d refuse to take it until it was properly checked, ie: if VOSA can see or hear it, don’t move it. You’ve kindof got to use your judgement a bit on this and remember the most likely failure on any truck / car / van is the sensor not the thing it’s sensing.

Edit: God, now I sound like a cowboy, but this is the reality of the game esp for the non-perms…! :open_mouth:

The general rule is that an amber light is indicative of a fault that requires attention as soon as reasonably possible whereas a red light is a definite no no.

Arrangements have been made for the truck to be fixed (more than likely reset the computer) so no problem.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

so some of you would take it out with the amber light and some wouldnt.

so its down to whether i want to risk it or not as i thought then.

i did take it out and then took it to Mercedes after my run.

As said if red park up phone office kettle on and wait for mechanic
Yellow tell office and carry on

blue estate:
As said if red park up phone office kettle on and wait for mechanic
Yellow tell office and carry on

Thanks blue estate. I did carry on but did consider not taking it out as anything to do with the brakes shouldnt be risked. However , i had done the run previously and it was all flatish so took my time more, allowed for more braking space. I mentally took a note tho that in future if it happens again - i think i will refuse it. I didnt feel happy knowing there was an underlying problem.

We have Scanias that like to throw up “ABS faults” all the time. Nothing wrong with the trailers, just the dodgy connections. We use ferry trailers and they are hosed.

I’m assuming these aren’t new trucks you’re driving? Probably 2006 to 2010 rough age, as thats what newer drivers tend to get. You’ll get used to them creaking, squeeking and mostly chucking up error messages every 5 minutes predicting the end of the world is nigh. As I say, DAFs and Merc’s seem to be the worst for this and must admit Renaults seem much more reliable.

You’ll learn what errors to ignore and what is really serious over time, but it’s often the problems the computer doesn’t spot you have to watch. Eg: driving around at slow speed is fine, but trying to stop at 50mph it really doesn’t want to stop - not good!

Out of interest, are you on agency or fulltime with the company? Shouldn’t make a difference, but…

so its down to whether i want to risk it or not as i thought then.

With the greatest respect, there is no risk to be assessed. An amber light is telling you that there’s a glitch somewhere but a red light is letting you know it shouldn’t be used. So for an amber light, defect report and carry on. But a red light is a definite no go.

As has been mentioned several times, very often the fault is with the warning system itself. But it’s dodgy to believe that it’s always the case.

Hope this helps,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Amber lights defect and book in to be seen to ASAP. Red light warning truck does not move until it’s fixed at our place.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

billythewhizz:
Got in a truck the other day and it had a amber warning light lit and display said “No abs protection available”

The transport manager said Mercedes had said it was still safe to continue. Its done it before.

This was at the start of the shift.

Should I have still taken out the truck or said sorry but I dont feel safe and refuse to take it out?

It was also booked in at the end of the shift anyway to be taken to Mercedes as it was a known problem.

Just wondered if it was a definate no - dont take it out …or whether it was down to me and how I felt about it?

What would you do?

I do agency. Drive a variety of trucks. The ABS one is so common it is more unusual not to find it! The tip I was given is this, drive it for a bit (five mins or so) and see if it goes out. It often does. Also make sure the exhauster isn’t on. Had that one as well. Stopped checked ABS connection then realised the stalk was one notch down (doh!). Hey ho.

The most confusing thing on waggons these days is the sodding computer. Still havn’t sussed many of them out but can usually do the basics (pre check, display of tacho and miles per hr not frigging kms!!)