What could have been!

Why did ■■■■■■■ & Caterpillar ‘give up’ on heavy engines for uk/europe? Surely as engine manufacturers- with all their resourses & technological expertise, they should have been ahead of the game not left behind with Euro4/5 etc. :confused: & who knows maybe ERF & Foden would still exist :frowning:

simple,development costs were huge for a tiny market.why would daf continue to buy engines to put in fodens when they make their own perfectly good engines,the same applies to man/erf i would think

Quite right. ■■■■■■■ would have to invest millions into keeping up with ever tightening Euro emmisions standards. Look at the problems these standards are causing the manufacturers that HAVE invested. EGR systems burning valves out…etc.

■■■■■■■ and Cat have a huge home market, with no such stupid regulations, so that will do them nicely thank you very much.

boris:
Why did ■■■■■■■ & Caterpillar ‘give up’ on heavy engines for uk/europe? Surely as engine manufacturers- with all their resourses & technological expertise, they should have been ahead of the game not left behind with Euro4/5 etc. :confused: & who knows maybe ERF & Foden would still exist :frowning:

Hiya…now this will be a nice answer for carryfast…■■■■■■■ and caterpillar to follow the GARDNER trend…
just could,nt resist that one.
John

caterpillar have stopped making engines for the trucks here in the usa but ■■■■■■■ have picked up in the areas that cat were strong we are one step behind europe with emissions i would hazard a guess that ■■■■■■■ found their share of the market declining with truck manufacturers only offering their own engines, the same sort of happened here with freightliner a few years ago they said that they would only fit detroit engines in freightliners,westernstars and sterlings their reasoning being that operators love the engine so much that they will buy the truck for the engine rather than go with their prefered brand of manufacturer such as volvo,international,peterbilt and others, it back fired a little because some large fleet owners went to other brands. ■■■■■■■ seem to be doing fine and there going to have to come up to the same sort of standards as europe we have just got a 2011 with the urea deal on it so i would i have thought that there wouldnt a huge problem exporting engines to europe/uk.