What class ADR do I need for oxygen

Hi guys

Just looking for some confirmation on what category of ADR do I need to carry oxygen? It will be over 1000L

Thanks

Compressed Oxygen, UN1072, comes under gasses, Class 2.

Just a thought, it’ll probably come under 5.1 too, being an oxidiser.

Robaidh:
Hi guys

Just looking for some confirmation on what category of ADR do I need to carry oxygen? It will be over 1000L

Thanks

Hi Robaidh,

UN 1072 OXYGEN, COMPRESSED, 2.2 (5.1) is a substance of UN Class 2 (gases.)

The 2.2 means that it is a non-flammable, non-toxic gas. (Primary danger)
The “5.1” in brackets means that it is an oxidising agent.(Secondary danger)

From an ADR licencing point of view, you would need an ADR course covering at least:

• Core module
  • Packages module
  • UN Class 2 module

An ADR licence only needs to be valid for the primary UN Class (in this case it’s UN Class 2,) so you wouldn’t need to take the UN Class 5 module.

You said that it would be over 1,000L, but I can’t tell whether the 1,000L figure you gave was correctly arrived at because the relevant figure for ADR is the theoretical water capacity of the cylinder(s,) NOT the actual number of litres of oxygen to be carried.

ADR has an exemption which depends on the pressure in the cylinders, and also has some Special Provisions (SPs) relating to certain kinds of oxygen cylinders, but your DGSA should be able to advise you on whether any of those apply to your particular circumstances.

If you’re hauling liquified(cryogenic) Oxygen in tankers it’s UN1073 .

Thanks guys.

Yeah it’s litres calculated on tank size for water ect.

It’s compressed oxygen where theirs 9 bottles all linked together inside a frame. Is their a maximum capacity that doesn’t require ADR just out of curiosity incase I get asked. I know theirs requirements to carry the correct fire extinguisher ect.

Cheers.

Robaidh:
Thanks guys.

It’s compressed oxygen where theirs 9 bottles all linked together inside a frame. Is their a maximum capacity that doesn’t require ADR just out of curiosity incase I get asked. I know theirs requirements to carry the correct fire extinguisher ect.

Cheers.

Thanks for that Robaidh, very helpful info indeed… :smiley:

The maximum capacity of “9 bottles all linked together inside a frame” is 1,000L before you need an ADR licence.

Now I know the info you’ve just given, I can tell you that ADR calls it a “bundle” of cylinders, but it’s usually known in the gas industry as a bank of cylinders.

If you’re carrying only one of those banks of cylinders, you just need an ADR compliant 2kg dry powder fire extinguisher.

If you need to carry a total of more that 1,000L (water capacity) on a particular journey, then you’d need an ADR Card, orange plates and all the other applicable stuff from ADR including the company needing to have a properly qualified DGSA.

dieseldave:

Robaidh:
Thanks guys.

Cheers.

Thanks for that Robaidh, very helpful info indeed… :smiley:

The maximum capacity of “9 bottles all linked together inside a frame” is 1,000L before you need an ADR licence.

Now I know the info you’ve just given, I can tell you that ADR calls it a “bundle” of cylinders, but it’s usually known in the gas industry as a bank of cylinders.

If you’re carrying only one of those banks of cylinders, you just need an ADR compliant 2kg dry powder fire extinguisher.

If you need to carry a total of more that 1,000L (water capacity) on a particular journey, then you’d need an ADR Card, orange plates and all the other applicable stuff from ADR including the company needing to have a properly qualified DGSA.

Okay excellent thank you for the info. I couldn’t ask for anything more clear :slight_smile: I’ll start asking if my employer will put me on a ADR course then :slight_smile:

Robaidh:
Okay excellent thank you for the info. I couldn’t ask for anything more clear :slight_smile: I’ll start asking if my employer will put me on a ADR course then :slight_smile:

Hi Robaidh,

You’ll only need an ADR Card if you plan to carry a bank (or banks) when the theoretical water capacity exceeds 1,000L per journey.

Is so, then you’ll need the following ADR modules as a minimum:

• Core
  • Packages
  • UN Class 2

If anybody tells you that you need more ADR modules for the job you’ve described, then they are simply incorrect.

:bulb: A properly qualified DGSA also becomes a requirement that the company needs to take care of at the same 1,000L threshold, and I’d also advise that the company checks with their insurer to see whether their current insurance covers the ‘new’ job.