What can i legally carry in weight?

Looking at this picture of the plate in my cab what is the max weight I can carry?

As much as you like as long as you don’t get pulled :wink:

Been said before the best thing to do is go to a weighbridge if you don’t know the tare of the vehicle, and see what you weigh empty (best to go with a full fuel tank) then minus that from your gross weight and you know what you can roughly carry depending on passengers amount of fuel tools on board etc.

In the UK 18T, but minus weight of truck, fuel, driver etc off it and it could be anything. Only option is to take it to a weighbridge with full fuel, driver and anything you normally carry excluding load.

Minus that figure from the 18T and you have your carrying weight. Ideally get both front and back axels checked separately as its very easy to overload the front.

You’d think they’d be able to give the load available figure, but theres too many variables.

Edit, whats said above but we posted at same time.

You are legally allowed to do this at your employers expense if you think it is close to full weight

Drive directly to nearest weighbridge
Return directly to point of loading if some weight needs removing

The only exception is if the vehicle looks unsafe

ROG:
You are legally allowed to do this at your employers expense if you think it is close to full weight

Drive directly to nearest weighbridge
Return directly to point of loading if some weight needs removing

The only exception is if the vehicle looks unsafe

Never knew that. Bit late because I’ve left last place. I was under the impression there is not many weigh bridges around.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There is a gov website

gov.uk/find-weighbridge

not sure how up to date it is, but has to be better than nothing.

As per ROG’s post, we collected a load of material in bales that was supposed to weigh X tonnes, didn’t look/feel right according to the driver. Told him to go and weigh off at a weighbridge and on the way there he got a pull, turned out the driver was right and he was over loaded. The material had been packed ‘wet’ as it was a rush order which pushed the weight up.

We got off the overload because we were proceeding to a weighbridge; it was not in the same direction as the driver would have taken to make his delivery.

Good few years back, now we rarely carry more than about 8000kgs on a full trailer and never worry about weight. Relief.

As the driver, you’ll know when things don’t feel right. When I collected 14 ton of shotgun shells after already have 3 ton on-board from Brum, I knew something was fishy because the truck looked and felt overloaded before I even made it out the gate. It usually started in 4th, rarely 3rd but here it was starting in 2nd and the steering was really heavy. Before I left the site, I stopped and quizzed the fork lift driver. He said I was to collect all 14 pallets. Phoned the office who did some digging. Turns out I was only supposed to collect 3 pallets, not 14 as the rest was being collected by one of our artics. It was a good job I didn’t leave as I was sitting at almost 30t total weight. My legal weight was 26t.