What can I drive with my Cat C Licence?

As the subject says really, what vehicles can I drive with my new Cat C licence? Can I drive an articulated 30 ton dumper? Mobile crane or even a terragator? And can I drive B+E or does that come automatically with C+E?

Cheers.

anything that doesnt bend i t’middle. except buses.

qwakers:
anything that doesnt bend i t’middle. except buses.

So not dumpers! :laughing:

As above, there is no weight limit, it just has to be rigid! :open_mouth:
You’re basically a big VAN driver! :laughing:

Lug Nut:
As the subject says really, what vehicles can I drive with my new Cat C licence? Can I drive an articulated 30 ton dumper? Mobile crane or even a terragator? And can I drive B+E or does that come automatically with C+E?

Cheers.

BE comes with CE
BE is valid for as long as B is valid so basically for life - not subject to D4 medicals

C generally means any rigid vehicle (except PCVs) with a max 750 kg plated MAM trailer

By dumper I’m assuming you mean like on building sites - if so, you’ll most likely need a B licence and then do a CITB test (oral and practical test). I passed in a 13 tonne one and can apparently quite legally drive on the road regardless of weight and size. Not sure how that works either since I have a B + E and C1 licence so far (getting closer to C).

Looked it up and mobile crane requires a class 2, although again to actually operate it you might require a separate CITB qualification for operating them on most construction sites (there’s one for operating and another for supervisor).

Can’t find details for a terragator but I’ve never seen one of those being driven on the road, so might not be road legal. Only ever seen them on the back of low-loaders, but as mentioned it probably would be just class 2. Don’t know if there’s a qualification for driving these on sites, but many would require something as they are run by paper pushers not real people.

Hmm, if you can find a terragator which is road legal then we could have to employ the Harry Hill way to work out which is best - class C or C+E…aka…FIGHT…!! :smiley:

(Will only make sense for those who’ve seen the programme)

trevHCS:
By dumper I’m assuming you mean like on building sites - if so, you’ll most likely need a B licence and then do a CITB test (oral and practical test). I passed in a 13 tonne one and can apparently quite legally drive on the road regardless of weight and size. Not sure how that works either since I have a B + E and C1 licence so far (getting closer to C).

It’s because it’s classed as plant rather than a goods vehicle. Most plant (providing it’s road legal) can be driven on the road with just a car licence.

Cranes used to be the same, but it was changed so cat C is required for them. Road rollers have their own category, but anyone with just a cat B licence can drive them with L plates.