What breaks should be taken on long days?

Hi,

I understand that if working over 6h you need 30m break and over 9h 45 but am wondering if any additional break needs to be taken if working up to 13/15h?

No, not unless you are approaching another 6 hour working period without a break then the 15 minute crap kicks in again or if your driving time is about to expire then you need to take a break accordingly.

Timothy:
Hi,

I understand that if working over 6h you need 30m break and over 9h 45 but am wondering if any additional break needs to be taken if working up to 13/15h?

For the working time regulations those are the only breaks required.

The breaks for the RT(WT)R can be split into separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each.

The breaks need to be taken in such a way that at no time in the shift do you work more than 6 hours working time without a break of at-least 15 minutes.

Where appropriate driving breaks also count as breaks for the RT(WT)R and vice versa.

So how much break do you need to take if you work 8 hours?

I know you need 15 mins before 6hrs, but do you then need to take another 15 before you finish?

Nezza:

I know you need 15 mins before 6hrs, but do you then need to take another 15 before you finish?

If you work (driving+other work) for a total of 8 hours then you need breaks totalling 30 mins for the RTD
That 30 can be split into 2 x 15 mins
Breaks must not have more than 6 hours of work between them and cannot be at the start or end of the shift

ROG:

Nezza:

If you work (driving+other work) for a total of 8 hours then you need breaks totalling 30 mins for the RTD
That 30 can be split into 2 x 15 mins
Breaks must not have more than 6 hours of work between them and cannot be at the start or end of the shift

So if you work say 0400-1000 and then have 45m break to satisfy eu rules you’re good to go over 9 hours but must have another break not after 1645?

So if a 15 is taken at 6hrs, then another 15 needs to be taken before knocking off 2 hours later…bugger, I thought it only needed to be taken if you reached 9!

Nezza:
So if a 15 is taken at 6hrs, then another 15 needs to be taken before knocking off 2 hours later…bugger, I thought it only needed to be taken if you reached 9!

You got it

Timothy:
So if you work say 0400-1000 and then have 45m break to satisfy eu rules you’re good to go over 9 hours but must have another break not after 1645?

15 min break needed no later than 1645 as there must not be more than 6 hours of work without a 15 min break

So in this example, the 15 mins must be started (not completed) by 16:45, correct?

Nezza:
So in this example, the 15 mins must be started (not completed) by 16:45, correct?

yup