What body will enforce the WTD?

Say I own “Joe Bloggs bulk tipper Truck’n”,
The WTD is coming April 05,I say to my 10 drivers (who work around 60 hrs average/week and are well paid and want to keep working those hours or to go to 48 av/wk will bankrupt my firm if I have to take on more drivers or I can’t recruit them) that I’m not going to implement the WTD at this firm.
What government agency will enforce the WTD on my working practices :question:

Dept of Employment

All employees hours have to be retained by the employer for minimum of 3 yrs? I think thats the time scale,

If a Driver decided to change employment midway through the 17 week period, he must be able to produce a record of the total hour average worked over the current period within the current 17 week period, to his new employer.

So this ensures that you cannot rattle say 6 weeks off the belt at 70hrs per week, then change employer and rattle another 11 weeks off at 70 hrs per week.

Averages will need to be submitted to the Dept of Employment Annually, or upon request by the local area office who requests the info, if an employee was to change employer midway, this would be recorded by both the old and the new employer, the Dept of Employment could then check with the other emplyment office area or old employer to ensure figures have not been breached.

Sounds complicated but at the end of the day, it’s big fines which will bring in additional revenue to fund the system along with the Governments cash.

Any Driver found to be breaking the law will be prosecuted along with his employer for permitting it to happen, what the Dept of Employment is expecting employers to do is, personally check with a previous employer that the details given are correct, if the new employer fails to check then they too will be deemed to be 100% liable for the offences, where’as if they can produce evidence that the previous employer supplied the details they have used to establish the average 48 hrs then they can be seen to have acted in good faith.

The way it is seen is simple, if you cannot afford to pay the drivers a decent wage for the legal hours, you should not be in business, if you cannot recruit drivers then your still seen as a bad employer.

Simply a no win situation :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Davey Driver:
Simply a no win situation :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

As far as I can see it …for the Drivers its a win win situation!!! :wink:

Thecritic:

Davey Driver:

Yep, but as Big Truck said originally

Big Truck:
Say I own “Joe Bloggs bulk tipper Truck’n”,

:wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thecritic:

I don’t agree, it’ll do more harm than good. Except for maybe day and short distance jobs ie. Supermarket deliveries. Also, I cannot see other European Countries abiding by it, especially Spain, they ignore what is in place now.

The Critic Wrote: Also, I cannot see other European Countries abiding by it, especially Spain, they ignore what is in place now.

Si!
TP :sunglasses:

Sorry… Dafmad Wrote: Also, I cannot see other European Countries abiding by it, especially Spain, they ignore what is in place now.

Si!

(Not enough sleep!) zzzzzz…

Tom Paris:
Sorry… Dafmad Wrote: Also, I cannot see other European Countries abiding by it, especially Spain, they ignore what is in place now.

Si!

(Not enough sleep!) zzzzzz…

Roll on the WTD when you can get enough sleep, enough said!!!1

As far as I can see it …for the Drivers its a win win situation

go on critic explane this one to us, i can’t wait for your answer :question:

will it go something in the line of less hours more money :laughing:

kitkat:

No its a case of less hours more time to spend with your Family! you know the kids we have all had, but dont know they names? it wife’s we have, but forgot what colour hair she has!!! even dare I say it A LIFE!!

48 hours a week to me is to much to be working in this day and age!!! OK some times somepeople need to do it … You should work to live not live to work!!!

the only problem I see in the WTD is that all Truck operators will now expect drivers to work 48 hours!!! :open_mouth:

This country the working week is 40 hours or less!!! unless your a mug truck driver who does 60 hours or more!!!

IMHO as soon as truck drivers realise this, thats when Truckers will get paid what they are worth!

Thecritic:

kitkat:

No its a case of less hours more time to spend with your Family! you know the kids we have all had, but dont know they names? it wife’s we have, but forgot what colour hair she has!!! even dare I say it A LIFE!!

48 hours a week to me is to much to be working in this day and age!!! OK some times somepeople need to do it … You should work to live not live to work!!!

the only problem I see in the WTD is that all Truck operators will now expect drivers to work 48 hours!!! :open_mouth:

This country the working week is 40 hours or less!!! unless your a mug truck driver who does 60 hours or more!!!

IMHO as soon as truck drivers realise this, thats when Truckers will get paid what they are worth!

But is it not going to be 48 driving hours Ian :question: Therefore nothing will change.

Hang on a minute.

It’s illegal for an employer to change our contracts without our consent. What if we don’t consent to changing our contracts?

allikat:
Hang on a minute.

It’s illegal for an employer to change our contracts without our consent. What if we don’t consent to changing our contracts?

No it’s Not Alli

All the Employer has to do is issue you with 3 months Notice of Intention, if your not happy then you leave, but the 3 months Notice covers any arbritrary period.