What are these cameras

A420 Swindon to Oxford.

Just before the arch bridge approaching Shrivenham there is a small camera that looks like a grey CCTV jobbie, but with 2 lenses like SPECS, painted grey and mounted on grey poles roughly half the height of nearby street lamps…
Another identical camera just after you cross the A415 at Kingston Bagpuize still Oxford bound.

Go to Google street view and you can see the one at Shrivenham, its just as the road splits from single track into two lanes as you approach the bridge, but can’t see the one at K B.

Any ideas what these things are for, apart from the obvious…linked?

I think they are just road network cameras to spot queues etc. maybe with anpr in to track vehicles. They’ve got them in Oxford and I think Swindon too.

They are ANPR non database cameras, they trace vehicle speed, distance, and motion. They are currently non enforceable as they are not connected to a database. However how long that will last we will see

Ah thanks.

One day we’ll go back to the days of driving properly, when we constantly scanned for all the normal hazards and didn’t spend the day with one eye on the speedo and the other bugger searching for cameras.

Sorry lads slipped into a parallel universe then for a minute, its OK i’m back now in big brother Britain.

Juddian:
Ah thanks.

One day we’ll go back to the days of driving properly, when we constantly scanned for all the normal hazards and didn’t spend the day with one eye on the speedo and the other bugger searching for cameras.

Sorry lads slipped into a parallel universe then for a minute, its OK i’m back now in big brother Britain.

If you cant manage to hold a constant speed with out having to look at the spedo continuously then i think you may need a little more training

AHT:
If you cant manage to hold a constant speed with out having to look at the spedo continuously then i think you may need a little more training

My Mondeo couldn’t keep a constant speed on cruise control so what chance have we got !!

AHT:

Juddian:
Ah thanks.

Why would you want to maintain a constant speed, are conditions and hazards constant?

Drive within the legal limits (like I ALWAYS do) then speed cameras are not a problem and driving becomes stress free :wink: :wink:

raymundo:
Drive within the legal limits (like I ALWAYS do) then speed cameras are not a problem and driving becomes stress free :wink: :wink:

that invovles looking at speedo a lot though doesn’t it? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Foxstein:

raymundo:

that invovles looking at speedo a lot though doesn’t it? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Not really. Once you have it to the speed you want then unless you alter that speed by more than a couple of miles an hour there isn’t much point looking at the speedo is there? It will still say pretty much the same.

I’ve never understood this argument that because of speed cameras you have to be constantly looking at the speedo. I don’t think I look at it any more now than I did 30 odd years ago.

Exactly what Coffee said if you dont go above the legal limits you dont need to look out for cameras anyway so no issues there
and if there are no hazzards you should be able to keep to the legal limit fairly well, if you see a hazard slow down appropreatly again no need to look at speed as it doesnt matter, then onec you ahve passed the hazzard you should be able to return (if safe) to the limit and then just glance at the spedo to check you are on it no need to constantly look at it
You should be able to judge the speed of you vehicle

MysonVinnie:
They are ANPR non database cameras, they trace vehicle speed, distance, and motion. They are currently non enforceable as they are not connected to a database. However how long that will last we will see[/qu

i think they are connected to a data base, i remember watching one of the police series last year, and they were trying to find a car that had set off a fixed anpr camara in one of the towns, it had come up on the control centres computer, i think it was wanted for driving off from a fuel station the week before :wink: :wink: :wink:

The Police HQ is just down the road from that bridge :wink: They could be used for traffic updates as that is a known “hotspot” to quote the rather weird people that report it on the radio.

Coffeeholic:

Foxstein:

raymundo:

Not really. Once you have it to the speed you want then unless you alter that speed by more than a couple of miles an hour there isn’t much point looking at the speedo is there? It will still say pretty much the same.

I’ve never understood this argument that because of speed cameras you have to be constantly looking at the speedo. I don’t think I look at it any more now than I did 30 odd years ago.

Agreed. I can usually tell how fast I am going by the engine note as well. Its like the argument that if cars had speed limiters they would all crash into the back of each other…well it doesn’t happen with lorries! If someone can’t accurately tell how hard they are pressing the gas pedal, or can’t hear an engine rev up, should they really be driving?

The answer to that, Dan is yes they work where I do :laughing:

A little further down the 420 from there, someone has taken a big dislike to the speed cameras and set fire to them, 2-3 I think have been burnt out

Muckaway:
The answer to that, Dan is yes they work where I do :laughing:

Hahahaha! :smiley: