What are employed drivers paying for there dcpc courses

Ours has been free,but d/t who took last one said sadly he now thinks that we may have too start paying the company from now on.
Just wondering is there anyone paying there company,if so how much :question: ta

I would expect that when push comes to shove if you refuse to do it because your employer is charging you that they’ll do it for free. Agencies are already racking up the money as the deadline approaches in order to get drivers - class 1 in Hull on agency is now minimum £9/hr compared to £7.50/hr earlier in the year and the first question you get asked when you enquire is how many DCPC modules you’ve done if you don’t have it.

The haulage industry has done its usual job of burying its head in the sand and we’re now at the point where we’re literally a few weeks away from the cutoff where its possible to get 35hrs in doing it one day a week before the hammer drops on 9th September.

Ours is done in-house and we are paid at normal rate to attend.

€60 a day seems to be the average in Ireland.

Hauliers who expect their drivers to fund their own DCPC are being very short sighted. I am sure a lot of drivers will have the understandable attitude that they will take their services elsewhere come the much anticipated (but not necessarily true) driver shortage.

I’ve booked a full week with a trainer in Immingham for 35 hours training and the fee is £343 including upload fees and free tea,coffee

1968kg:
Ours is done in-house and we are paid at normal rate to attend.

Ours too is free and in house, they did try getting us in on overtime to do it but most drivers weren’t too keen on the Idea.

Ramage in Newcastle wanted you to do it on Saturdays, unpaid, & charged you £47 per module for the privilege. I left.

BillyHunt:
Ramage in Newcastle wanted you to do it on Saturdays, unpaid, & charged you £47 per module for the privilege. I left.

A company I used to work for were the same, on a Saturday in your own (unpaid) time. They were more expensive at £70 per module! Needless to say I left too!

The whole DCPC thing as it currently stands is nothing more than a tax to work. The fact that you can do the same module five times - the only requirement being to turn up and pay your money - proves it’s nothing but a scam. Why the industry didn’t fight it I’ll never understand… Oh wait, that would require nationwide solidarity and the haulage industry is well known for its solidarity isn’t it! :unamused: :unamused:

company pay for ours and we come in on a saturday and get a day in lieu back for it plus free pie and chips dinner. we had a letter the other day saying that if we miss a module we will have to fund it ourselves, fair play.

jonboy

Sir LANs-a-lot:

BillyHunt:

A company I used to work for were the same, on a Saturday in your own (unpaid) time. They were more expensive at £70 per module! Needless to say I left too!

The whole DCPC thing as it currently stands is nothing more than a tax to work. The fact that you can do the same module five times - the only requirement being to turn up and pay your money - proves it’s nothing but a scam. Why the industry didn’t fight it I’ll never understand… Oh wait, that would require nationwide solidarity and the haulage industry is well known for its solidarity isn’t it! :unamused: :unamused:

Yes it is ridiculous. I rather stupidly left mine till last minute and not so stupidly assumed you would need different modules, so ended up travelling from Towcester to Slough for one module before I discovered I could have just done the same one five times nearer to home. The last one I went to one guy slept through most of it and another one spent 50% of the day reading his newspaper.

How are you guys doing the same ones 5 times? The modules you have completed are uploaded and recorded. They wont issue you with a card if you havent done all 5 modules. Unless Its different in the UK.

I got my card just over a week ago and I’ve now done 2 towards the next one. :smiley: I’m booked provisionally for another next wednesday, work permitting (it’ll save me a trip to Essex :sunglasses: )
My lot pay for it, but where I used to work (the Red Arrows) pay for it on a Saturday. What they forget to tell people is leave less than a year after the course (s), and they’ll dock it from your last wage packet.

viking7000:
How are you guys doing the same ones 5 times? The modules you have completed are uploaded and recorded. They wont issue you with a card if you havent done all 5 modules. Unless Its different in the UK.

Our “trainer” said it was perfectly valid to do a module more than once - or the same module five times if you wanted to! He said some people like to do the “drivers’ hours” module more than once, especially if they’re struggling with the information.

I did five different modules over five days in one hit. These are listed as such on my on-line record. So I imagine doing drivers’ hours twice would show up as two lots of 7 hours even though it’s the same module. With that in mind I guess it’s the 35-hours part that is important, and not the actual content. :unamused:

viking7000:

Forget the word Modules …

As a driver who has Grandfathers rights the need to sit / attend 35hrs periodic training there are no set areas your required to attend, therefore you can sit the same course 5 times …

New drivers that don’t have grandfathers rights have set modules to take and tests to pass.

So this is an EU wide reg that member countries can decide how or if they will implement it?
So does a DCPC card issued in Ireland have validity in rest of EU and vice versa?
If a driver moves or workes in another member state is his digicard valid?
What numpties came up with this idea and how much were they paid?
Pretty soon we will need a law degree to do this ■■■■■■ job.

098Joe:
Hauliers who expect their drivers to fund their own DCPC are being very short sighted. I am sure a lot of drivers will have the understandable attitude that they will take their services elsewhere come the much anticipated (but not necessarily true) driver shortage.

Unfortunately the original EU legislation does clearly state responsibility for obtaining DCPC rests with the driver.

Any employer subsidy towards it, although this has been swept under the carpet to ease implementation, is a benefit in kind.

viking7000:

There’s nothing that says you have to do 5 different modules, just says you must complete 35 hours and the modules you do must be approved by JAUPT. Our modules are designed in house, so all five were different, and all future ones will be different too.

Own Account Driver:
… Unfortunately the original EU legislation does clearly state responsibility for obtaining DCPC rests with the driver. …

And we all just bent over and took it like choirboys… :imp: :unamused: