What about this scenario!

You drive a truck mon-fri witbdigi card
then on sat and sun you drive a horsebox for pleasure thats fitted with a digi tacho ?
How would you fair out with vosa to prove you not driving 7 days a week …

A horsebox that’s fitted with a digital tacho? Well, that’s a new one on me, I was up the stables today and the newest horsebox I saw was an M reg. :wink:

There are such folk who would bin Saturdays card that evening ,and Sundays on Sunday evening ,as a private hgv horse box no evidence of Milage would ever really be asked for .

mickrick:
then on sat and sun you drive a horsebox for pleasure thats fitted with a digi tacho ?

it would be difficult to prove you are not driving seven days a week because you would be driving seven days a week

Is a horse box that is fitted with tacho only required to actually use the tacho if the box is driven for hire or reward ?
Driven for pleasure doesn’t need any tacho use iirc…

Edit
Just to add, if you are driving to a horse show with the intention of competing you are driving with the intention of reward so yeah, needs tacho.
This is how I seem to remember it explained to me anyway.

PRIVATE (non commercial) driving of a …
Horsebox over 7.5 tonnes GVW = under full regs
Horsebox under 7.5 tonnes = exempt regs

What was the GVW of the horsebox?
Was it private or commercial?

On a 7.5 private LGV fitted with a digi you could use the digi if you wanted to (not a legal requirement) but would need to select - out of scope

Kaistar:
Edit
Just to add, if you are driving to a horse show with the intention of competing you are driving with the intention of reward so yeah, needs tacho.

Need to re-edit …
Commercial (many call hire & reward) is the making or intending to make a profit

If it costs say £50 in fuel for a trip and £40 is won in prize money then its not commercial

Dan Punchard:
There are such folk who would bin Saturdays card that evening ,and Sundays on Sunday evening ,as a private hgv horse box no evidence of Milage would ever really be asked for .

how many digi cards do you think he has :question:

ROG:
If it costs say £50 in fuel for a trip and £40 is won in prize money then its not commercial

From a horsey forum…

I was one of the lorries pulled over on this particular day when i was on my way to a lesson with Nettie Lewis @ Norton Heath with one of my horses.

I found the police & animal health officer very helpful, friendly and was held for around 10-15 minutes. I have never been pulled over before and my legs were like jelly pulling into the VOSA area.

After the police checked out my lorry, tax, insurance, plating & driving licence, i was approached by a lovely lady from the council.

After a brief chat on which she reminded me to have my horses passport on me at all times (i thought i only needed it for shows) she asked me if i had a certificate of competence and or did i compete for “economic gain” or travel over 40 miles. After joking that there was no gain in horses she explained that even a rosette or trophy can be described as that.

ROG:

Kaistar:
Edit

Need to re-edit …
Commercial (many call hire & reward) is the making or intending to make a profit

My company often sells certain goods to a big customer at a loss knowing that other goods will net big profits because of rebate, are these loss making deliveries also non commercial ?

Kaistar:
My company often sells certain goods to a big customer at a loss knowing that other goods will net big profits because of rebate, are these loss making deliveries also non commercial ?

That is commercial because the general intent of the company is to make a profit

But what if the prize money was more than £40 say £200? You are technically intending to win/gain? I am just saying is all. I dont really get it. I drive in the week on card… anything else I dont know about :blush: :blush:

There’s an entire VOSA leaflet about this fun and games

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193236/A_guide_for_horsebox_and_trailer_owners.pdf

mickrick:

By “for pleasure” I assume you mean for private use, ie you’re not being paid to drive the vehicle and not using it as part of a business or trade, in which case you don’t need to use your driver card because you’re exempt from EU regulations.

edit:
I should have made it clear that I’m referring to vehicles that do not have a MAM exceeding 7½tonnes.

horseandhound.co.uk/news/sho … gulations/

green456:

Dan Punchard:

how many digi cards do you think he has :question:

yep my fault reading too fast ,many horse boxes i see are too old for digi ,I’ve seen them with used paper tachos blowing round the cab and scattered across the dashboard,they don’t seam too bothered.