What a waste of petrol! grrrrrrrrrr

:imp: Not Happy, all the way into Peterborough to the business Post depot. Got there for the Interview 10 mins early. Asked a few questions about experience which was quick as i have none. Guy tells me he has seen another chap this morning with more experience so he will have to use this other chap as his priority. I say fair enough, which it isā€¦he then goes on to offer to start me on 7.5 tonners. I tell him i havent paid Ā£2000 to drive puddle jumpers. End of Interview.

Not even an assesmentā€¦not even a chance to prove myself a good driver. Im so mad, but ive taken it with a pinch of salt! Nothing Ventured Nothing gainedā€¦Nothing gained and nothing lostā€¦so im not too worried. It wont be the last time i lose an interview to a more experienced driver. Just i feel its a shame that these companies wont give us a chance. But i suppose there not interested in giving us newbies a chanceā€¦its too much like hard workā€¦give it to the experienced guy. Well fair enoughā€¦but it still ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– .

Let the Job Hunting commence is all i can sayā€¦i lost the battle but not the warā€¦I will find a jobā€¦ :open_mouth: ā€¦or will iā€¦Theres a lot of competition out there and i am only just realising this!

[Rant over :frowning: ]

When I passed my class 1 I was given a job straightaway however when I turned up I spent the first week doing nothing but sitting in the passenger seat while someone else drove! I gave up and went back to my old job, very disappointed. However on my last day they did send me out alone and I was told by another driver that they would probably offer me a job but I had already decided to leave by then. Like you I would feel insulted to be offered a 7.5t job knowing I could have done that on a car licence (I know you canā€™t anymore) but it could be a good way to prove yourself to someone. I have not been to any interviews recently so would not like to say how easy it will be to get class 1 work but good luck anyway.

Iā€™ve recently been for jobs which they start you on a 18 tonner. Personally I canā€™t see a problem, but youā€™ve got your licence and you want to drive a artic. However, sometimes firms sometimes want to see what your like, as you havnā€™t got any experience and they donā€™t know you from adam :wink:. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s right or wrong, but would you give any Tom, ā– ā– ā– ā–  or Harry Ā£65,000 worth of unit with god knows how much value their is in the trailer and load and say hereā€™s the keys, off you go.

Hmmmm, having spouted, Iā€™ll now contradict myself and say I work as an agency driver :unamused::shock::wink:. Exactly the same situation. They donā€™t know who theyā€™re getting 'till I walk through the door.

Like I say, if the job looks good enough, it might give you a start, unless theyā€™re extracting the Michael - which, with the 7.5 I think they may have been short of a driver or two :wink:. Then again, would they have paid at Class 1 rates :sunglasses:.

Next time, couple of pertinant questions before you go for the interview could save you a lot of hassle :open_mouth::lol::wink:.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Cheers

Ian.

malone:
:
Let the Job Hunting commence is all i can sayā€¦i lost the battle but not the warā€¦I will find a jobā€¦ :open_mouth: ā€¦or will iā€¦Theres a lot of competition out there and i am only just realising this!

keep on knocking on them doors malone someone will give you a try :wink: :smiley:

Sorry to hear you did not get that job this time
malone but I am sure you will get class 1 work
eventually. Good luck :smiley:

The general concensus of opinion is as always, keep going it will pay off!
It can be frustrating, disapointing, even make you angry at the un-reasonableness of it but you just have to put that behind you and move on otherwise there is a danger the frustration will cloud your judgement and make thing worse.

The opportunities are out there you just have to find them and then capitalise on it.

Keep us up to date with how you get on, good luck! :wink:

Just keep banging on those doors mate.

youā€™ll get your chance ,probly sooner rather than later . just keep hammering at people till they give you an oppurtunity.

Iā€™ve just been doing Class 2 Multi-drop around the country and if I had a quid for every ā€œLGV drivers wantedā€ Iā€™d have a few bob :smiley: .
Of course, you need to see signs like that close to where you live !
Best Of Luck

aposhark :slight_smile:

Guy tells me he has seen another chap this morning with more experience so he will have to use this other chap as his priority. I say fair enough, which it isā€¦he then goes on to offer to start me on 7.5 tonners. I tell him i havent paid Ā£2000 to drive puddle jumpers. End of Interview.

Not even an assesmentā€¦not even a chance to prove myself a good driver.

I think what you were being offerd was a chance to prove yourself to be a good driver, a working assesment.
It may not have been what they were offering, but as you donā€™t seem to have asked, I guess now youā€™ll never know.
I hold C + E & D + E & often get asked to drive vans, cars, Mini buses & rigids, itā€™s all driving & providing they are not taking the zb I see no problems in being asked to be a driver of a smaller vehicle.

daxi:

Guy tells me he has seen another chap this morning with more experience so he will have to use this other chap as his priority. I say fair enough, which it isā€¦he then goes on to offer to start me on 7.5 tonners. I tell him i havent paid Ā£2000 to drive puddle jumpers. End of Interview.

Not even an assesmentā€¦not even a chance to prove myself a good driver.

I think what you were being offerd was a chance to prove yourself to be a good driver, a working assesment.
It may not have been what they were offering, but as you donā€™t seem to have asked, I guess now youā€™ll never know.
I hold C + E & D + E & often get asked to drive vans, cars, Mini buses & rigids, itā€™s all driving & providing they are not taking the zb I see no problems in being asked to be a driver of a smaller vehicle.

Donā€™t forget that when you are new you are so keen to get behind the wheel of an artic as the novelty has yet to wear off . However, realistically, I have now accepted that driving smaller vehicles to start with is likely as you do have to prove yourself, which is fair enough, and if they can guarantee you an artic job after a certain period of time I suppose thats good enough just a matter of waiting. I suppose the only other thing to do is to take a low paid (providing its legal) job that no one else wants, thats how i got my first class 2 job with no driving experience at all.

and if they can guarantee you an artic job after a certain period of time I suppose thats good enough just a matter of waiting.

ā€¦and being realistic it will only be a matter of (short) time until one of the CE drivers doesnā€™t turn up for his shiftā€¦and thereā€™s you, ready to go!!

Better than sat at home. Donā€™t forget all the other things to be learned - routes, paerwork, refuelling stops, cafeā€™s & truckstops :wink: :wink:

marcustandy:
[ cafeā€™s & truckstops :wink: :wink:

mmmmmmmmmmm :wink:

I reckon you need to lower your sights a bit. Instead of expecting a new topline Scania for your first job, you will do better to drive the old nail in the corner of the yard, whether its a puddle jumper or an artic.

I have had a class one for many years, but I was driving a 13 tonne merc which was 7 years old two years ago.

I reckon you have to prove you can do the job first, thats how everyone I know got into trucking

Hate to add my two pence worth but possibly Wheel Nut is right, I had to nearly beg in the first place to drive an artic which was to say the least not in the greatest nick, a fair bit of the gearbox did not even work (splitter was taped over) etc etc. and that was after numerous ā€˜no experience sorryā€™ knock backs

You might be better off in something less shiny just to prove yourself and the opportunity will soon arise to move to something better when they get to know you.
Also remember itā€™s very different when you start with a fully loaded motor so working up to that in my opinion is a good idea, I started on six wheelers and worked up and going from that to 44T was enough of a shock to the system

I only passed my C+E a couple of weeks ago - I have been doing artic work since (apart from one day when I drove a rigid due to a ā– ā– ā– ā–  up, but still got artic rates).

Try an agency - I have halued electrical goods, compost, buns, frozen, chilled, and have managed to see how several companies work. I always turn up in good time, am cheerful with ALL the staff (even if they are loaders ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  me around a bit) and already have them on first name terms.

Give it a go - it is a pain in the ā– ā– ā–  never knowing what you are going to do. However, it is all experience. Today I got asked by the TM to go on a run tomorrow, ambient goods to one depot, tip and reload frozen to another, back to the first and frozen back to base - he then said ā€˜you have used a fridge unit before havenā€™t you?ā€™ - and I could honestly sayā€¦ā€œYep! No probā€.

I have been swapping trailers round, onto bays, switching bays, blind-side reversing etc and in 2 weeks, it is astonishing how much more confident it has made me!

PS although the agency will now how long you have had your licence, the clients donā€™t so you do get to play with some nice kit - however, ALWAYS ask if you donā€™t know about something. My truck this week has been an old dog, but I have still been hauling all sort and loving it - apart from one day when it was so loaded it struggled a bit up slopes!!!

Good luck.

JayHoe

Interesting reading JayHoe and well done on accomplishing
so much in so little time driving artics :smiley: .

maybe the M1 at Northampton is a bit too far from you at Stamford, otherwise as long as you are under 20 stone you can almost certainly get a job at our place with the right interview attitude and a short assesment. If it is too far, Morrisons are opening a frozen warehouse at Corby later this year (not sure when, at Europort I think), and Iā€™m certain you should get a job there without too much hassle.

if northampton isnā€™t too far, send me a line and Iā€™ll give you more details.

good luck

Si

Gutted for you mate - but keep plugging away and youā€™ll get what youā€™re looking for.

I hear Norfolkline are looking for drivers in Peterborough - in fact they are upgrading C holders to C+E in conjunction with Derek Jones Scania.

How far south would you be happy to travel? Would Huntingdon area be OK if the money was right?