Wet roads vs icy roads

Were you one of the many car and truck drivers plodding along on a wet M62 Eastbound this morning at 30MPH?

Way too many over cautious slow drivers today for my liking when most places the roads were ONLY wet most of the time, and as I got into Hull proper it was unbelievable how slow people were driving.

I don’t mean where it was snowy or icy…just here it was wet and NOT slippery.

I filmed a ■■■■■■ holding traffic up this AM whilst he cleaned snow off his bonnet… after the shot of the snow on the M62 near Selby.

youtube.com/watch?v=16M0Z7r8t_M

What an arse, I get ■■■■■■ off with ■■■■■ that start up and drive, THEN after 100 yards realise their screen is froze so stop to clear it :open_mouth:

pete904ni:
What an arse, I get ■■■■■■ off with [zb] that start up and drive, THEN after 100 yards realise their screen is froze so stop to clear it :open_mouth:

The traffic behind me was encroaching into a crossroads as well.
He first tried to clear it by swinging an old fashioned walking stick out the window as he was bumbling along!

BTW: I don’t touch the video camera it is fixed and I just click a remote fob to start it.

I tiptoed down the A1 this mornng from Birtley down to Teeside sat behind a stobbies artic 30-40mph tops, road was a nightmare but was still being passed by artics on the limiter, some really impatiant drivers out there. A workmate came back to depot with pics of trucks which had slid of the A1 between scotch corner and Dishforth , A comet decker in a field another stobbies through the reservation another 2 in the ditches,
better safe than sorry spring to mind

Grahamy09:
I tiptoed down the A1 this mornng from Birtley down to Teeside sat behind a stobbies artic 30-40mph tops, road was a nightmare but was still being passed by artics on the limiter, some really impatiant drivers out there. A workmate came back to depot with pics of trucks which had slid of the A1 between scotch corner and Dishforth , A comet decker in a field another stobbies through the reservation another 2 in the ditches,

Thats it, but rule number one for me if going out be it lorry, car or forktruck (ours have cabs!) is make sure you can see out the bloody windows and that there’s no immidiate danger of them being covered again. But in saying that I was out in our 7.5 tonner 814 today that hasnt been out in weeks, ice on the roof cracked/melted and when I braked at one point it clanged onto the cab roof :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: thought I was under attack :blush:

Grahamy09:

Im sure many of you would class me as a bit of a nutter, but I drive at up to 70mph in my lorry on snow and ice, as long as there isn’t much traffic & it’s not really windy, it’s surprising how much grip you have, you don’t need much to drive in a straight line anyway, but at times in the past few weeks I’ve been driving very slowly indeed, during one snow storm that threw freezing fog into the mix, I was coming down from 6000+ft above sea level on a 6% hill, I couldn’t see much because of the fog and the ice build up on my windscreen and to top it off, the road was a sheet of ice, I was in 1st gear and moving at a walking pace, I know the road, there wasn’t much danger of falling off, but I was going as fast as the conditions allowed, a bit of a difference from the 70mph I had been doing earlier on a snow covered interstate, that’s the thing, we, as professionals should be able to adapt to the different and changing conditions, we do this driving thing all day, every day, we’re supposed to be pretty good at it :bulb:

Car drivers are not, we shouldn’t expect them to be either, a professional driver should take them into account too, yeah it’s frustrating when somebody is dawdling along, scared of it all, but they’re butchers/bakers/candlestick makers, why should they be experts at driving in winter conditions?

In my mind so called ‘expert’ drivers are nothing of the sort :unamused: A true expert would not be getting stressed out because Joe public can’t drive in the snow :bulb:

Grahamy09:

The ones driving slow (including lorry drivers) where I was, were crawling along on WET roads…that was my point.

Better safe than sorry, yes, when it’s slippery, but there was loads of traction and they were crawling along.

newmercman:

Grahamy09:
In my mind so called ‘expert’ drivers are nothing of the sort :unamused: A true expert would not be getting stressed out because Joe public can’t drive in the snow :bulb:

I don’t get stressed, just annoyed, and I certainly don’t claim to be an expert driver… just ordinary like most people, but I can drive quickly when there is plenty of grip, no ice, no one in front and no danger.

mickfly:

newmercman:

Grahamy09:

I don’t get stressed, just annoyed, and I certainly don’t claim to be an expert driver… just ordinary like most people, but I can drive quickly when there is plenty of grip, no ice, no one in front and no danger.

Here’s the thing, you, as a professional driver, are an expert, you’ve many years of experience on all kinds of roads and in all kinds of weather, it’s easy for you to differentiate from a wet road and a slippery road, the average man/woman in their car sees snow in the fields and their brain tells them it’s slippery out, so they slow down. In an ideal world these people would not be out on the road, but it ain’t and they are, so ■■■■ it up, it’ll soon be summer :laughing:

Nowt wrong with driving on the limiter on snow and ice. Nowt at all. The problem comes when you have to brake unexpectedly and I expect those who’d slid off the road had used their brakes when they didn’t need to or weren’t paying attention. The only time I use brakes on ice is when I’m not sure if its ice or just wet and to test the grip. If the ABS kicks in quite early, its ice.

Hiya…We are quite lucky here in North Wales only about 2 inches of snow, the roads are clear on bus routes.
yesterday i was out with the dog, a top of the range Range rover passed me well only just the chap was hanging
on with his life. there was no snow on the road and he was doing 10 mph and holding tight he should have been
locked up crawling along with a dozen cars behind him.
John