West of Somerset Companies

kwhopper:
Hi all reading this thread has brought a lot of back memories . I drove for Michael Street in the 70s . I started as a shunter for a couple of years down the dock with Archie Dyer and Harold Norman with Bob Baron driving the Streets forklift . My first shunting unit was 260 J pictured on here . Promotion came with another F86 this time 351 M . All of the fleet was sleeper Maggie Deutz by then with 1 Leyland Marathon and 1 TM Bedford . This was the transition time from going from grey livery with red sign writing to the maroon and cream livery . I later went back on distance work driving the Detroit powered 2 stroke TM ( 4mpg ) . The demise of the company allegedly started due to an issue at the Charles M Willie office in Cardiff . Another livery change ensued to the final yellow and brown . Parsons started running the fleet with a lot of vehicles going to outside owner drivers . This continued until the closure of the docks in 93 . It was a great company to work for with great drivers too , Tony Pope , John Meade , Ken Cox , Robin Cow , Geoff Haycock to name just a few . Sorry to drag on , should know when to stop . Looking forward to reading more local transport info

I would think the TM with It’s 4 mpg, helped towards the demise as well :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No the 4mpg was not good and I took it on from Wilfie Hill sadly deceased now who was an owner driver , you can only guess why he didnt want it anymore . We had a thing going where if we didnt go over 100 kph we got trip bonus as fuel should be economised ! Surprise surprise the old TM returned 4 1/2 mpg . Would love to see more S & M Streets pics if any about .

Cheers
kw