West of Somerset Companies

HELLO AGAIN YES I DID COME FROM SOMERSET AND YOU WHERE RIGHT ABOUT BARTLETTS (NO RELATION ) STARTED ABOUT 1962 WHITH COMMER CATTLE LORRY BARTLETT &BATEMAN I BELIEVE IT WAS ORIGINALLY S J LING FROM HOLFORD IF YOU LOOK AT SOMERSET CATTLE HAULAGE 40 50 THERE SOME PHOTOS YOU MIGHT REMEBER

Hi Neil B, have admired your lorries for a few years, good to see you on here, Mike.actualy Holford is only six miles up the A39 from me.

Didn’t Bartletts old motors end up with CG Janes from Lympsham,later to become part of CL Transport ■■

Hello Mi67ke. If you have any early photos of Tone Vale Transport or Taunton Meat Haulage I would love to see them. My father Horace Hannon and my uncles Jim Hannon and Jack Hobbs and my old (now late) friend Jack Chaplin worked for TVT from the early days. Ken Thorne the transport manager and Cuth (■■■■) Holcombe the workshop manager were also my uncles! I grew up with TVT, then TMH before it was all merged into Langdons. I knew both Philip and Bill (Yank) Langdon too, of course. I remember Michael Street quite well - and the yard they had where there was a line of ex-Army Bedfords when I was little.
Let me know if you want to jog my memory a bit more - it goes back quite a long way…

to intertype 7, Hi I have fond memories of Horace,cant remember if I ever met Jimmy,as I beleive he was at TMH. You Mentioned Jack Chaplin, well he worked at Streets at the same time as I did, ,I remember Ken quite well as I was in the traffic office at streets, he was usually the one I dealt with, there was also Dereck Pulsford in the office and a girl from Skilgate,Katherine Read,I have got some old pictures that I will persevere with this week and try to get them on. I was sent some of streets lorries today from Adrian Cypher,one of wich an Atkinson artic was taken just before ir was sent to scotland, with Jock(Bill)Shaw at the helm, he actually took the picture,I have also got some photos of models of TVT and TMH that I have made,Mike

I also forgot to mention: A.J.Baker(Haulage)Ltd of Comeytrowe,Taunton. Their fleet was a mix of Egg Collection Vehicles and a few Longdistance motors,600LYD Commer TS3 artic, driven by Ken Manley(the Late) and also a TS3 6 wheeler rigid,which they took off a Meatbox and left it as a flat. and putting the Meatbox on a LWB Mercury ###444.4wheel lwb.the driver of the 6wh flat was Eric Fox.anybody remember Bakers and their Transport Manager, Ivor Stagg,who was last seen by me driving a school bus for Berrys coaches of Taunton. Mike

I am hoping I have read the instructions correctly,trying to upload a picture of a volvo F86 when new I have also been given apicture of the same in a somerset scrapyard awaiting disposal.

Wonderful. I have fond memories of my old man, too! I did a lot of miles in the cab of his Albion Chieftain, Rutland and Leyland Octopus before TVT went modern with Mercs and he started driving abroad. He ended his UK days running the R and S Waste fleet at Watchet before doing a bit of office work for the great Alan Coles (AGC at Cullompton). He then emigrated to Australia.
Keep up the good work - I’ll keep trying to stir my memory…

PS: Derek Pulsford was a nice chap too. I knew him all my life and eventually he worked with my (ex) wife in the traffic office when the whole outfit moved to Bathpool. He was about the youngest member of the big Pulsford family at Wivey. His uncle, I think it must have been, was Sidney Pulsford - they named Kingsmead School after his house - who was a well-known county councillor and who ran a haulage company at Langley Marsh for a long time before the 2nd world war that was eventually taken into BRS in 1948. I remember ‘Mr Sidney’ well - he was blind and his wife led him down West Street every morning for a shave at my grandfather’s barber shop.

Micheal Street with the first two of his Magirus Deutzs.

A Wansbrough Paper Mill Lorry collecting waste Paper in East London

Four of the Wansbrough Paper Mill Bedfords returning to Watchet, taking a break on the A39

i remeber bakers if scrapbook memories page 127 commer HYC 102Dpage 133 tmh maggie AYA783S

S & M Streets other Volvo F86 in a somerset scrapyard.EYC 336J

Tone Vale Transport and Taunton Meat Haulage, before combining as Langdons ran similar vehicles. here is a new Mercedes in TMH Livery when new.
Image.jpg

Found this one of a Langdons subbie

Hi all reading this thread has brought a lot of back memories . I drove for Michael Street in the 70s . I started as a shunter for a couple of years down the dock with Archie Dyer and Harold Norman with Bob Baron driving the Streets forklift . My first shunting unit was 260 J pictured on here . Promotion came with another F86 this time 351 M . All of the fleet was sleeper Maggie Deutz by then with 1 Leyland Marathon and 1 TM Bedford . This was the transition time from going from grey livery with red sign writing to the maroon and cream livery . I later went back on distance work driving the Detroit powered 2 stroke TM ( 4mpg ) . The demise of the company allegedly started due to an issue at the Charles M Willie office in Cardiff . Another livery change ensued to the final yellow and brown . Parsons started running the fleet with a lot of vehicles going to outside owner drivers . This continued until the closure of the docks in 93 . It was a great company to work for with great drivers too , Tony Pope , John Meade , Ken Cox , Robin Cow , Geoff Haycock to name just a few . Sorry to drag on , should know when to stop . Looking forward to reading more local transport info

Hi Kwhopper,Robin Cow works with me at Ceva in Cribbs Causeway,nice chap…always got his reflective coat on summer and winter…it must be glued on :laughing: :laughing:
Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi Bubbs , that sounds like Robin , he took on the TM when I moved onto a 310 Maggie . Ask him about the throttle freezing open on the TM , it was notorious for it and please give him my very best when you next speak to him . I havnt seen him since he was on for A A Griggs at Wansbrough .

All the best kw