West cumbrian roads

:smiley: hi, just in case any of you are thinking of heading to west ■■■■■■■■ we have had a bit water recently and its washed a few bridges away, the worst on the A597 at northside, this has also closed the A596, closing the road to iggesunds and rhodia and the dock, most wagons were using the 66 and the A595/594, but these are currently closed and you have to enter from M6 jct 44 carlisle until the bridges are checked, check out the current closures on bbc radio ■■■■■■■ on the web or 95.6 fm :slight_smile:
hoped i,ve helped someone, :confused:

As my fellow West ■■■■■■■■ has stated, there are a number of road and foot bridges down round here. Plus the police and the Highways Agency have closed a number of other road bridges that cross rivers. These bridges are showing stress and our engineers our inspecting them. Speaking with the police this morning, one or two of the bridges in the worse affected areas are at serious risk of collapsing so they are asking members of the public to stay away from all bridges in the area until they have been certified safe by county and H.A. Engineers. Advice from the Highways Agency and the police is unless your journey is absolutely essential in the area, do not travel! Thanks for reading. THM

I believe its been really bad up in ■■■■■■■■ Did I hear about a copper getting killed trying to stop people crossing a bridge when it collapsed under him???My condolences tom his family.

A respected roads policing officer of 25 years service lost his life when a bridge, he was clearing of traffic, collapsed taking him with it. :frowning:

I am by nature not a lover of plod, but traffic police are a different breed, and when one of them gets killed in the line of duty it is very sad,
They do quite often put their lives on the line after an RTA, or a natural disaster like this one,and my feelings go out to his family.
I hope he gets more recognition than just a few lines in the tabloids.

:smiley: a bit of the subject, but as you season a bit, you respect the officers and the job they do, this officer who died the day before his 45th birthday was helping to stop a total of 4 hgvs and a bus crossing the bridge before it collapsed, unfortunately for him he was the only one who didnt get off, :cry:

As you all know, i’m a HATO in ■■■■■■■ and we work quite closely with the traffic police. Everyone I’ve spoken to had nothing but praise for Bill saying he was a gent and a good copper.