West cumberland farmers

Nice pictures,I think the driver in LAO was a lad called Malc Thislewood who sadly is no longer with us.

The F86 ended up at Hagues at Burscough - I’ve seen some pictures of it recently which came from the relative of it’s driver while it was there.

It seems that they inherited all the motors which had already had a good life at other depots. They had day-cab F7s, Spanish Dodges and SA400s from all four corners of the WCF business - usually past their first flush of youth and invariably their next stop was the gas axe.

Hi, thanks for great photo’s of old WCF equipment!
My Dad used to drive for WCF for most of his life after the war.
He worked out of the Hexham depot.
I used go all over with him in his Albion Chieftain and then a Commer bulk loader, which I think was the first WCF had.
I have been lorry daft all my days and was amazed when I found this site.
I still remember how to tie single and double dolly knots.
Loved going to BOCM at Selby.
I have two photo’s of the Commer, license plate 196 FRM.
This is my second attempt to add the photo’s, the last time I lost the reply!
So I’ll send this first and try to send a reply with the photo’s.
I really would you to reply as I never knew what happened to the old company.
I live in Canada now and often wondered how my Dad would have liked a Peterbilt!
Many thanks,
Noel

Please see the photo’s in the attachments below.
Noel

scan0002.jpg

scan0002 (1).jpg

noel:
Hi, thanks for great photo’s of old WCF equipment!
My Dad used to drive for WCF for most of his life after the war.
He worked out of the Hexham depot.
I used go all over with him in his Albion Chieftain and then a Commer bulk loader, which I think was the first WCF had.
I have been lorry daft all my days and was amazed when I found this site.
I still remember how to tie single and double dolly knots.
Loved going to BOCM at Selby.
I have two photo’s of the Commer, license plate 196 FRM.
This is my second attempt to add the photo’s, the last time I lost the reply!
So I’ll send this first and try to send a reply with the photo’s.
I really would you to reply as I never knew what happened to the old company.
I live in Canada now and often wondered how my Dad would have liked a Peterbilt!
Many thanks,
Noel

Hi,where abouts in Canada are you.I moved to Canada from Carnfoth in 2005,now live in Hinton.AB.

Hi, PEI now but 30yrs. in Ontario.
Hinton, is that where there was a big train wreck?
See your hauling wood chips, on PEI its potato chips.
Noel

noel:
Noel

Yeah there was a train wreck a lot of years back,Hinton is just on the edge of Jasper national park.Thats true plenty of spuds there.

scaniaontheroad:

noel:
Noel

Yeah there was a train wreck a lot of years back,Hinton is just on the edge of Jasper national park.Thats true plenty of spuds there.

Hiya …I,ve been up the icefield parkway about 6 times and always stunning.castle/ catheridal and edith cavell WOW… its 5 years since i was up their…
i saw a poster and it said (beauty once seen is never forgotten) how right that is.CANADA…how can you explane Banff /moraine lake /colombia
icefield and jasper. you have to visit to see the beauity.You luck buggers.
John

Hi John, I think you would have enjoyed a good driving challenge through the Rockies. The trick is to concentrate on the road as the scenery is stunning and on some of the bends the sides go along way down. Its called taking the express route down!
Noel

Who do you drive for here and when you back home?
We see a lot of Western companies on the roads over on the east coast although some must be based over here.
Noel

scaniaontheroad:

noel:
Noel

noel:
Who do you drive for here and when you back home?
We see a lot of Western companies on the roads over on the east coast although some must be based over here.
Noel

scaniaontheroad:

noel:
Noel

I drive for a sub contractor hauling for (Bulk systems)Trimac.I only run Alberta now,but used to drive across border for Edge Transportation out of Saskatoon,Sk.When i was in England i drove for Kidds Transport from Lancaster.What do you do in PEI.

Thanks for the reply,
I’m a retired millwright (wanna be truck driver).
My biggest memory of the northwest England was going up Shap Fell. It was the only time my Dad would get a serious look on his face, light another woodbine, and never a more happy camper then when we got to the top, stop at the lay by and let the motor cool down!
He had an Albion Chieftain then a Commer 2 stroke.
What do you drive over here?
Thanks Noel

ORM 20M, Picture taken about 1974 just before it was moved down to the Yorkshire Haulage Unit at Selby.
At 32tons GVW it could only carry 18.50tons so it was replaced with GAO 432N Volvo F86 Unit that could carry 20.25tons at the same gross weight. :laughing: :laughing:

noel:
Thanks for the reply,
I’m a retired millwright (wanna be truck driver).
My biggest memory of the northwest England was going up Shap Fell. It was the only time my Dad would get a serious look on his face, light another woodbine, and never a more happy camper then when we got to the top, stop at the lay by and let the motor cool down!
He had an Albion Chieftain then a Commer 2 stroke.
What do you drive over here?
Thanks Noel

I drive a 3 year old volvo 680 with the big sleeper and super b woodchip trailers.My Dad drove for Ernie kidd in the 50s and he had a commer 2 stroke and tells me all the tales of shap and loading feed out of liverpool docks back to lancaster and surrounding areas.