We're the double deckers!

Haven’t been out driving for about ten years but I missed it. Just started back pulling a double decker. Is it going to fall over? I’m going around bends like a nun on a mobility scooter, which is fine because there aren’t many junctions on my route but what happens when the wind blows? Does anyone ballast these trailers? I know you shouldn’t often be empty but it does happen quite often.

The curtains are a struggle too, I’m quite tall but can hardly reach the pole when it’s pulled back and in a mild wind I struggled to engage the pole at the front, I had to secure some straps along the length before I could get it in. Any tips?

They ride better in terms of stability than a lot of singles so you have nothing to fear. After a week you won’t even notice the difference unless some fool loads all the heavy stuff on the top deck then you need to drive like a granny or preferably get the load sorted out before you go. As for not being able to reach the pole, what I’ve done in the past is tie a bit of rope to the first curtain buckle on both sides and that solves that problem. :smiley:

Loading correctly is everything. ALWAYS fill the bottom deck before you put anything upstairs, and if you do multi-drops make sure the top ones come off first. Remember that the decks will have safe working loads (SWL) and make sure the load is spread evenly over the upper deck plates.

Eric Rambler:
The curtains are a struggle too, I’m quite tall but can hardly reach the pole when it’s pulled back and in a mild wind I struggled to engage the pole at the front, I had to secure some straps along the length before I could get it in. Any tips?

It could just be lack of use of the muscles and this will become easier with time, pretty obvious but make sure the back pole is loose as well then insert front and rear poles, tighten front then if theres any play tighten up the back a notch or two.

Stability wise, always drive as if the centre of gravity is too high untill you get a feel for it, a rollover can occur even at slow speeds if you clip a roundabout kerb / load shift etc…

Always treat the double decker like it has been loaded by a complete muppet.

Take your time and it will all become easier.

You could alway drop the suspension on the unit it does help ( I have to as not that tall 147 cm ) or as said tie a rope or a smaller pole inside the 1 you pull along

They are slightly better in the wind if loaded correctly & remember most of the time you cant carry any more weight in them ( although depends on the plating of the unit ) the longer trailer are interesting mind :laughing: :laughing:

animal:
You could alway drop the suspension on the unit it does help ( I have to as not that tall 147 cm ) or as said tie a rope or a smaller pole inside the 1 you pull along

+1
Also try dropping the trailer suspension too, those extra few inches will make all the difference…well thats what the wife says anyway :blush:

animal:
( I have to as not that tall 147 cm ) :

sorry but I am old and not decimalised yet. wots 147 cm in old money :question:

green456:

animal:

In old money thats a short arse or 4 foot 10 approx.
No offence intended just a non PC conversion for santas helpers.

Ive only started to pull deckers over the last 2 month,i find them ok to be fair, your steering seems to have a bit of a delay when your on cambers though,other drivers seem to give you leeway on aroads aswell knowing you cant throw them round bends,ive not been out in the wind yet ,the lads say they not bad at all,its a good job really because in the bad winds last year they still sent them out,touching cloth and sweaty palms :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

We used to pull 16’3" tautliners loaded to the max with bottles, I found we could drive normally with those and the double deckers I pulled in later years were more stable due to the base of the load being lower.

Dipper_Dave:

green456:

animal:

Iam old as well but decimal make me taller than what I really am 4’ 10" mother forgot to put me in grow bag :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

At least my lorry is thief proof :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Gotta love decimal…I told the wife I was packin 12cm downstairs and she seemed impressed at the time :wink:

animal:

Dipper_Dave:

green456:

animal:

Iam old as well but decimal make me taller than what I really am 4’ 10" mother forgot to put me in grow bag :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

At least my lorry is thief proof :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Small but perfectly formed Animal ?
Ps never pulled a decker but regularly pull a timber chipper that sits at 16" 3" just fits in new Tyne tunnell but not according to signs.
Jim

sayersy:
Loading correctly is everything. ALWAYS fill the bottom deck before you put anything upstairs, and if you do multi-drops make sure the top ones come off first. Remember that the decks will have safe working loads (SWL) and make sure the load is spread evenly over the upper deck plates.

how does that work with a dd with hydraulic top deck then, you have to load it first in down position then send it up to load bottom deck.
To unload you have to empty bottom deck first then lower top deck down
or are you wrongly assuming that all dd are curtainsiders :confused:

Thanks guys, I’m going to carry a bit of old strap with a loop to catch the pole or the first strap, that will help.