We're all going on a Summer Holiday!

to trucker-festival.ch/sites/news.php
and as i’ve been detailed to sort everything out, I was wondering whether anyone on here might be able to help with some (more) questions…
firstly, traveling from Calais, I was planning to go A26 to Reims, A4 to Metz and on down to Strasbourg, pick up the E25 to Basel, cross the border and on down the A1 to Bern, A6 out of Bern and the A8 into Interlarken.

Does this seem to be a good route, and how much is it likely to cost in tolls per vehicle? (artics C/W trailers)

Take a look at the SWISS link on usefull links forum
it may help you.
whats wrong with going via LUXEMBURG as you then
only need to pay for the EURO-VINGETTE for the LORRIES??
until the border between F :–&–L ,and then all pay when the french
tolls start, down to Metz-- Strasbourg–Muhlhouse–Basel (BAEL)
at THE SWISS BORDER you will find that perhaps the lorries are
dealt separtely from the cars and caravans so you need to orginise
some sort of meeting place after the border and perhaps a cb radio
in both groups,just a thought
AS regards the vingette ihave a look at this site
http://www.ages.de ,

any more questions just post them here.

Cheers Pete, So if we were to go E30 out of Calais to Gent, then down the A4 to Aarlon and into Lux, then out of lux toward Sarbrucken? or Nancy? Ok, there will be LOADS more Questions. thanks

What about this CALAIS—DUNKIRK–LILLE
TOURNIA—MONS–NAMUR–CAPELLEN (in Luxemburg)
the Motorway services ,to here roughly 430kms
then have a look at this route and see if its any good,…

ROUTE

This is about 330kms i think it said, any good

don’t read german (?) but it seemed to me that the date was 30 june - 2nd july 2006 … so, … how did the trip go?

The trip is planned for next years festival (29th June - 1st July 2007) and is looking like it’s going to be expensive. The boat is £500 return, my Peterbilt runs at around 5-6 to the gallon,then theres the road costs, but hey you get 1 life so live it. :smiley:

Tramper why 500pounds are you takeing a trailer
what about asking the ferry company to help out
it would be a good public relations,try all of the
ferry companys inDOVER & Ramsgate;
ALSO IF THEY SAY NO WHAT ABOUT talking to one of the big transport companys, have you asked the people who are doing the show if they have
any tips on how to keep the costs low,worth a try,

brit pete:
Tramper why 500pounds are you takeing a trailer

£500 is what P&O Dover quoted for the unit and trailer, (the trailer is a 40ft step frame with living accomadation in the front half and a garage for my new acquistion (nearly) a pulling tractor :smiley: in the back). The trailer has to go because ,as I stated on the title of this post, this trip will consitute our family summer holiday. I have a very understanding family! :laughing:

brit pete:
what about asking the ferry company to help out
it would be a good public relations,try all of the
ferry companys inDOVER & Ramsgate;
ALSO IF THEY SAY NO WHAT ABOUT talking to one of the big transport companys, have you asked the people who are doing the show if they have
any tips on how to keep the costs low,worth a try,

Good call, I hadn’t given these a thought. I’ll let you know how I get on. :smiley:

The route you described is expensive in tolls. Have just come back by car from Swis via Rheims and cost 43 euros in tolls. Went via Luxembourg and it cost about 11 euros. Hope that helps.

Tramper are these show trucks ?
if so i can explain to you how to get around the swiss tolls saving about 2/3 of the normal price for a 40 tonner

Geoff

The trucks confirmed to be going are all show trucks, some are used to haul pulling tractors, but all are to a more or lesser degree show trucks, so please, explain away! :smiley:

P & O are always dear.

You should find Norfolk line Dover - Dunkerque cheaper. Last time i took a 7.5 tonner over they were almost 1/2 as much!

Also try freight forwarders or agents as they have more purchasing power.

johnny:
… the cheapest ferry crossing is dover to dunkerque at around £150 each way if you can skank a good deal, p&o is £500 round trip if you book the return at the same time as the outbound journey

here is where he said it:

http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18685

Tramper:
The trucks confirmed to be going are all show trucks explain away! :smiley:

Are you purchasing your ferry crossings as a group or individually?
Buying tickets in bulk gives you more leverage to get a better deal, I think that ticket agents would also do you a better deal, selling the group tickets, rather than individually.

The route I used to take, coming from Swiss to Calais or Dunkerque (reversed to simplify things) was:-
Dunkerque - Brussels - Namur - Luxembourg - Metz - Strasbourg - Mulhouse - Basel.
(Now I start at Zeebrugge or Europoort, and join this same route at Brussels)
You can also go :-
Dunkerque - Lille - Mons - Namur - etc. From Zeebrugge to Namur there is very little difference, time wise.

The section of Autoroute between Metz and Strasbourg is tolled, totalling about €32. Other than the Euro-vignette that you’ll need for transiting Belgium and Luxembourg (at €8 per day) that is the only additional cost. Going directly south through France on Autoroutes will be expensive in tolls, as will going across to Germany and south be.

In Belgium make sure you have enough diesel to get to Lux, fill your tanks to the brim there. You can get your duty-frees there too, at about the best prices in Northern Europe…

Thanks for that, obviously I have to find the most cost effective route as it’ll be my balls on the chopping block if costs are too high.
Another point has been raised, would the tunnel be a viable option as opposed to the boat, or is it prohibitavely expensive?

Tunnel tickets are also handled by ferry ticket agents I believe, so the best way to find out the answer to that question is to ask them.

I’ve got no idea how much my boss pays for our ferry tickets. We use the DFDS ferries from North Shields to IJmuiden, or the P & O ferries from Hull to either Europoort of Zeebrugge, depending on our destination, all overnight crossings. They won’t be cheap though, however much they are. I’m sure I’ve heard £400 mentioned though and thats for a cabin and two meals included (dinner and breakfast).

The majority of firms round here use a ticket agent in Northern Ireland called Motis, I would give them a try if I were you. I’ve got no idea what their number is, but I’m sure you can find that out easily enough, they might even have a web-site, they seem to be pretty big going by the number of firms that use them.

:smiley: Thanks Simon.

Tramper,
I am only at home tonight for a few hours got to get a trailer from Hannover to Malibor in Slovaina for 8 Monday morning :frowning: I deliver a lot of new trailers into Swiss and with the right piece of paper and a stamp from the swiss customs in Basel i only have to pay for the tractor unit and not for the full 40 Tonnes for an empty triaxle tautliner,show vehicles are also exempt, i will explain next week
Geoff

Cheers Geoff, I await your return. Safe Journey.