We're all doomed [emoji849]

telegraph.co.uk/science/201 … ert-warns/

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

the man is 100% correct and accurate.
he is only stating an obvious fact.
if you go anywhere near central london ( or most of the large english cities)then you stand out like a spot on a domino as if you are white and indigenous to the uk,then you are an absolute minority.
theres nothing racist about stating a fact.

That article makes sense, your brain is like any other organ or muscle if you don’t use it you lose it, the brain needs to be exercised just as much as your arms or legs need to be exercised.

Blindly following a sat-nav is poor exercise for your brain, just like driving everywhere is poor exercise for your body.

Judging by some past posts on here there will be a few Alzheimers candidates, the ones with zero initiative…the ‘‘I carry a spare sat nav’’ , and ‘‘I go on the sick when my sat nav is broke’’ crew. :laughing:
One of the many adverse effects and results of the severe dumbing down of the job (and it’s drivers :unamused: ) sadly.

robroy:
Judging by some past posts on here there will be a few Alzheimers candidates, the ones with zero initiative…the ‘‘I carry a spare sat nav’’ , and ‘‘I go on the sick when my sat nav is broke’’ crew. :laughing:
One of the many adverse effects and results of the severe dumbing down of the job (and it’s drivers :unamused: ) sadly.

Could agree more! We’ve just taken a few new drivers on and to listen to them carping on about how the trucks sat nav isn’t working or not as up to date as they’d like, it seriously makes you wonder how the F they actually get to the bathroom let alone anywhere else.

And this is over places we go to regularly so after a couple of runs you SHOULD know where the hell your going !! We do mainly RDCs so it’s not that hard to miss them after you’ve been once and have to go again.

Dumbing down doesn’t come close to what level they’ve sunk.

I just laugh and despair at same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel I might be best changing my location…

Using a sat nav to tell you every turn and direction to take isn’t the same thing as using google maps just like any other paper map.The only difference is that one is shown on a screen not a massive big sheet of paper.But with the advantage of being able to zoom into street view level and out to any distance.Have to say I hate technology but think google maps and a computer etc to read it is a great invention.

“It’s dangerous, because first of all it doesn’t always work, especially in cities where you get reflections off buildings, and it’s also a problem with people using it in places it was not designed to be used such as up a mountain or on the sea, and they get into trouble.

What a load of bloody rubbish …

dieseldog999:
if you go anywhere near central london ( or most of the large english cities)then you stand out like a spot on a domino as if you are white and indigenous to the uk,then you are an absolute minority.

WTF has your post got to do with SatNavs?

dexxy57:

dieseldog999:

Just let it lie - the poor sap has obviously been over-doing the satnav and addled his short-term memory so he can’t even remember what he’s just read :wink:

dexxy57:

dieseldog999:

^^^^^^^^^^^
ops
apologies my good man.
i thought the link was pish and my attention was drawn to john cleese basically saying that london is not an english city anymore ( which is correct)
anyhoo,i was looking at a satnav earlier so it must have scrambled some of the ld grey matter… :smiley:

dieseldog999:
ops
apologies my good man.
i thought the link was pish and my attention was drawn to john cleese basically saying that london is not an english city anymore ( which is correct)
anyhoo,i was looking at a satnav earlier so it must have scrambled some of the ld grey matter… :smiley:

No apology necessary. I’ve got a limited amount of grey matter left myself.
Use it wisely.

raymundo:
“It’s dangerous, because first of all it doesn’t always work, especially in cities where you get reflections off buildings, and it’s also a problem with people using it in places it was not designed to be used such as up a mountain or on the sea, and they get into trouble.

I think he’s referring to the numbnuts who take a satnav out on their cabin cruiser and try to use it to navigate out on the lumpy water…

I have noticed how I react to using satnavs. In the olden days, I would look up an address in an AtoZ and then find it, often with the map balanced in the middle of the steering wheel. For most places, I only had to do it once and even a year later, I could still find it. When I go somewhere using the built-in satnav in my car, it just doesn’t register in my brain, so I use the satnav the next time and the next; maybe after half-a-dozen visits, I can remember it, but setting the satnav is easy so I just keep using it.

I used to find the same thing if I went somewhere with a passenger giving me turn-by-turn directions just like a satnav, so there is definitely something about the way my brain processes the information. Find my own way and I remember; follow directions and I forget.

dieseldog999:

dexxy57:

dieseldog999:

^^^^^^^^^^^
ops
apologies my good man.

Well I couldn’t find the bloody John Cleese story. Could you send me a pratnav link. Signed, white dot.

the nodding donkey:

raymundo:
“It’s dangerous,or on the sea, and they get into trouble.

I think he’s referring to the numbnuts who take a satnav out on their cabin cruiser and try to use it to navigate out on the lumpy water…

Never thought of that but logical and the two that I use have to be of an approved type and bloody expensive, and glad I don’t have to pay for them …

peterm:

dieseldog999:

dexxy57:

dieseldog999:

^^^^^^^^^^^
ops
apologies my good man.

Well I couldn’t find the bloody John Cleese story. Could you send me a pratnav link. Signed, white dot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
fill your boots.
theguardian.com/culture/201 … glish-city

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48451384

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … -city.html

Santa:
I have noticed how I react to using satnavs. In the olden days, I would look up an address in an AtoZ and then find it, often with the map balanced in the middle of the steering wheel. For most places, I only had to do it once and even a year later, I could still find it. When I go somewhere using the built-in satnav in my car, it just doesn’t register in my brain, so I use the satnav the next time and the next; maybe after half-a-dozen visits, I can remember it, but setting the satnav is easy so I just keep using it.

I used to find the same thing if I went somewhere with a passenger giving me turn-by-turn directions just like a satnav, so there is definitely something about the way my brain processes the information. Find my own way and I remember; follow directions and I forget.

You have a point. I’ve experienced similar.

I suspect it’s like any other technology where the need to actually think for yourself is replaced by a computer doing the thinking for you. It’s not the users themselves dumbing down, just the programme doing the work instead; and as with the computer, if you don’t use the “brain” it doesn’t register in the memory.

To be honest, I use a sat nav. But once I’ve don’t the route a couple of times, I don’t even bother having it on.

Take tuesday, immingham to newcastle.

Checked the route on the sat nav for times, and left it switched off untill I cleared the Tyne tunnel, after that I switched it on but didn’t use it as it was sending me round the houses.