Welsh bound, route advice

Off to Swansea tomorrow from ashby de la zouch. What’s the route of choice will be leaving at 0530.

M42 M5 M50 A40 A449 M4

Only one viable option IMO which would be M42 to M5, off after Strensham onto M50, pass Ross on Wye and follow down to M4 west at Cardiff.

Of course there are numerous cross country routes available but if you are heavy they’d be hard work, plus you’d lose shed loads of time stuck behind myopic car drivers etc.

mike68:
M42 M5 M50 A40 A449 M4

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
A42 first though :wink: :wink:

+3

red7jase:
Off to Swansea tomorrow from ashby de la zouch. What’s the route of choice will be leaving at 0530.

I echo what others have said about M42/M5, but if you leave at 5:30am, you might well hit Newport or Cardiff rush hour. Check the traffic somewhere on the A40 west of Monmouth – if the M4 is bad then take the A40 to Abergavenny, then the A465 west via Merthyr Tydfil to Swansea.

Where in Swansea you headed ? One of my favourite roads is the A465 all the way to Neath but might be slightly the wrong side of Swansea but a lovely drive.

IndigoJo:

red7jase:

I echo what others have said about M42/M5, but if you leave at 5:30am, you might well hit Newport or Cardiff rush hour. Check the traffic somewhere on the A40 west of Monmouth – if the M4 is bad then take the A40 to Abergavenny, then the A465 west via Merthyr Tydfil to Swansea.

He’ll queue all the way up Brynmawr hill through the roadworks, nah stop on the motorways !!

tango boy:

IndigoJo:

red7jase:

He’ll queue all the way up Brynmawr hill through the roadworks, nah stop on the motorways !!

+1 major roadworks on the 465.
If you go the m4 your gonna hit the traffic by newport but it shouldnt cost u no more than 10mins and the traffic by port toilet should have cleared by the time you get there.

Thanks for replys guys good to have advice from guys with local knowledge.

bubsy06:

tango boy:

IndigoJo:

red7jase:

+1 major roadworks on the 465.
If you go the m4 your gonna hit the traffic by newport but it shouldnt cost u no more than 10mins and the traffic by port toilet should have cleared by the time you get there.

Agreed. [THUMBS UP SIGN] Those roadworks are a right pain. Been going on for ages. Anyone know when they might be finished? Also, the A465 average speed cameras DO work! [emoji6]

lordsofthewaun:
Agreed. [THUMBS UP SIGN] Those roadworks are a right pain. Been going on for ages. Anyone know when they might be finished?

They have done a lot more in the last couple of years than they managed in the previous ten.

Having said that, I’m starting to think that by the time I get to travel the whole route without encountering some sort of roadworks it’ll be when they send my ashes back to England for scattering!

Sidevalve:

lordsofthewaun:
Agreed. [THUMBS UP SIGN] Those roadworks are a right pain. Been going on for ages. Anyone know when they might be finished?

They have done a lot more in the last couple of years than they managed in the previous ten.

Having said that, I’m starting to think that by the time I get to travel the whole route without encountering some sort of roadworks it’ll be when they send my ashes back to England for scattering!

Once they finish this section they are going to dual the section from dowlais top to hirwaun.

bubsy06:

Sidevalve:

lordsofthewaun:

Once they finish this section they are going to dual the section from dowlais top to hirwaun.

Another 20 years then…