Welsh Border and Mid Wales Hauliers 1950's onwards

A Scania artic tipper, seen on the A5 coming around Meole Brace doughnut at Shrewsbury.

A Daf CF artic tanker, seen on the A5 near Shrewsbury.

A Scania six wheeler curtainsider, seen on the A5 north of Shrewsbury.

A Volvo eight legger bulk blower, seen on the A5 north of Shrewsbury.

Steve Powell53:
Hi Keith, yep they were ours, Robinsons in our day had mostly a mixed fleet, probably more ERF,s than anything else along with a couple of F86 Volvo,s and 2 Ergo,s one was a 2pedal Beaver and the other was a Clydesdale Albion, the four wheelers were all KM Bedfords and that would have been why thay bought a TM or two in later years, we did a lot of coils an tin plate work for them out of Ebbw Vale and Llanwern, were some good times as I remember and the old man was well known,Eddie Gammond had some different stuff back then, I remember an American International F1800 Loadstar, Mercedes 1418 bonneted one, Scammell Handyman, D1000 Ford among others, another operator we knew well was Fred Baldry from Orcop his wagons were F86 Volvo,s from memory and a dark browny red colour with cream signwriting.Good to be able to share memories. Cheers Steve.

kingswinford kit:

Steve Powell53:
Hi Keith, sorry this is the only photo I have of any of our wagons as we had a house fire and lost some albums, this one was in my logbook holder and travelled everywhere with me although our drivers took heaps of photos back in the day, Bill Bow,Bill Cottle, Ken Strangward, Melvin Counsel, Pat Smith, Dan Ellis and Roger Pugh. So if anybody remembers these blokes or knows them it would be worth looking them up as I have lost contact with them but found Ken Strangward on Friends Reunited through his son Andrew a few years ago now and he was still around Leominster at that time. Jack Jones of Unicorn Transport and Charlie Owens and Ted Gillum and Russell Watkins who owned a few wagons trading as A.R.J. Transport were long time mates of my father as well as Harry Robinson(H.L. Robinson Rockfield rd Hereford) and his son Ken Robinson who I think is still alive and deals in property now and is somewhere around Ryelands Hereford according to the companies search.

Hello Steve , thanks very much for your very interesting reply. iseem to remember your trucks at Withington . Hereford tiles had a couple of ERF 4 wheelers or were they yours ? And
H L Robinson, did a lot of steel and tin plate out of S Wales working along with TSP transport . Nice fleet of ERFs and Atkinsons , and not sure but they may have had a Scammell as well ? .
Any way Steve once again thanks for the reply regards Keith .

Hi Steve , again thank you for a very interesting reply. Did you by any chance yourselves haul out of Beeches as i can not remember who did .
I can remember British Canners at the site of the present Tesco store having BMC artics . not sure but Robinsons may have done a little as well . Gammond still going strong with Ivecos and MANs can remember they that had that International as well as a Mack unit and a ERF artic l h d with a European cab .
I bet you can remember Fred Williams from Preston on Wye and his assorted fleet many ex BRS . regards Keith

kingswinford kit:

Steve Powell53:
Hi Keith, yep they were ours, Robinsons in our day had mostly a mixed fleet, probably more ERF,s than anything else along with a couple of F86 Volvo,s and 2 Ergo,s one was a 2pedal Beaver and the other was a Clydesdale Albion, the four wheelers were all KM Bedfords and that would have been why thay bought a TM or two in later years, we did a lot of coils an tin plate work for them out of Ebbw Vale and Llanwern, were some good times as I remember and the old man was well known,Eddie Gammond had some different stuff back then, I remember an American International F1800 Loadstar, Mercedes 1418 bonneted one, Scammell Handyman, D1000 Ford among others, another operator we knew well was Fred Baldry from Orcop his wagons were F86 Volvo,s from memory and a dark browny red colour with cream signwriting.Good to be able to share memories. Cheers Steve.

kingswinford kit:

Steve Powell53:
Hi Keith, sorry this is the only photo I have of any of our wagons as we had a house fire and lost some albums, this one was in my logbook holder and travelled everywhere with me although our drivers took heaps of photos back in the day, Bill Bow,Bill Cottle, Ken Strangward, Melvin Counsel, Pat Smith, Dan Ellis and Roger Pugh. So if anybody remembers these blokes or knows them it would be worth looking them up as I have lost contact with them but found Ken Strangward on Friends Reunited through his son Andrew a few years ago now and he was still around Leominster at that time. Jack Jones of Unicorn Transport and Charlie Owens and Ted Gillum and Russell Watkins who owned a few wagons trading as A.R.J. Transport were long time mates of my father as well as Harry Robinson(H.L. Robinson Rockfield rd Hereford) and his son Ken Robinson who I think is still alive and deals in property now and is somewhere around Ryelands Hereford according to the companies search.

Hello Steve , thanks very much for your very interesting reply. iseem to remember your trucks at Withington . Hereford tiles had a couple of ERF 4 wheelers or were they yours ? And
H L Robinson, did a lot of steel and tin plate out of S Wales working along with TSP transport . Nice fleet of ERFs and Atkinsons , and not sure but they may have had a Scammell as well ? .

Hi Steve , again thank you for a very interesting reply. Did you by any chance yourselves haul out of Beeches as i can not remember who did .
I can remember British Canners at the site of the present Tesco store having BMC artics . not sure but Robinsons may have done a little as well . Gammond still going strong with Ivecos and MANs can remember they that had that International as well as a Mack unit and a ERF artic l h d with a European cab .
I bet you can remember Fred Williams from Preston on Wye and his assorted fleet many ex BRS . regards Keith

Hi Keith,
Beeches were also called Lincan if my memory serves me right. I remember their factory well at Three Elms, also all of the hauliers you mention. I can remember Eddie Gammond coming up to Kington in an International six wheeler.
Cheers Dave.

HI Dave , Thats right i had forgotten lincolnshire canners that is a blast from the past !
Dave , can you remember a chap named Yeomans from either Moccas or Blakemere who had a few cattle wagons ? Also at Moccas there was an engineering firm they did farm buildings and had Thames Traders think the name was Payne Bros . regards Keith

kingswinford kit:
HI Dave , Thats right i had forgotten lincolnshire canners that is a blast from the past !
Dave , can you remember a chap named Yeomans from either Moccas or Blakemere who had a few cattle wagons ? Also at Moccas there was an engineering firm they did farm buildings and had Thames Traders think the name was Payne Bros . regards Keith

Yes remember Paynes of Moccas Keith. Houses built on the site now. I do recall Yeomans, but didn’t know much about him.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

kingswinford kit:

Yes remember Paynes of Moccas Keith. Houses built on the site now. I do recall Yeomans, but didn’t know much about him.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave
Yeomans had Leyland Steer and Octopus on stock work as well as lowloaders . Can you remember Montague from Preston on Wye as well regards keith

kingswinford kit:

Dave the Renegade:

kingswinford kit:

Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave
Yeomans had Leyland Steer and Octopus on stock work as well as lowloaders . Can you remember Montague from Preston on Wye as well regards keith

Yes Keith. I know Billy Montague very well he’s the same age as me. I remember hauling to his Dad Ben Montague.
Cheers Dave.

One of Pentons of Oswestry, seen on the A5 north of Shrewsbury.

kingswinford kit:

Steve Powell53:

kingswinford kit:

Steve Powell53:

During my varied career I too hauled a bit out of Beeches, subcontracting for Trevor Oakley. Didn’t really pay too well as I seemed to spend the greater part of the day queuing to load. Besides, I only had a short Northern trailer which had a double-thickness floor so weighed almost as much as the load! Soon saw the light and went back to bulk tipping.
I remember some wild times spent dodging the law around Hereford with the likes of Russ Watkins, Sonny Went, John Chamberlain and the like. Those were the days when there was only one set of traffic lights in the city.
I also remember Fred Williams- he had a chap called Peter who drove a Seddon with a livestock body and was a regular at Hereford market on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Retired Old ■■■■:

kingswinford kit:

Steve Powell53:

kingswinford kit:

Steve Powell53:

During my varied career I too hauled a bit out of Beeches, subcontracting for Trevor Oakley. Didn’t really pay too well as I seemed to spend the greater part of the day queuing to load. Besides, I only had a short Northern trailer which had a double-thickness floor so weighed almost as much as the load! Soon saw the light and went back to bulk tipping.
I remember some wild times spent dodging the law around Hereford with the likes of Russ Watkins, Sonny Went, John Chamberlain and the like. Those were the days when there was only one set of traffic lights in the city.
I also remember Fred Williams- he had a chap called Peter who drove a Seddon with a livestock body and was a regular at Hereford market on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Hi Casey,
I remember Sonny Went driving a, artic for Freddie Brace. Also know John Chamberlain very well, he phoned me a couple of weeks ago to ask how to get onto this site.
Cheers Dave.

Hi, Dave,
The last time I came across Sonny Went, he was driving a Volvo F10 on livestock for John Brittain. That must have been about 30 years ago. It would have been about the same time that I saw John Chamberlain (also known as “Cannonball”) with that Mickey Mouse Foden in the Windrush café.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Hi, Dave,
The last time I came across Sonny Went, he was driving a Volvo F10 on livestock for John Brittain. That must have been about 30 years ago. It would have been about the same time that I saw John Chamberlain (also known as “Cannonball”) with that Mickey Mouse Foden in the Windrush café.

Still known as Cannonball Casey, John packed up driving about 12 months ago and now does a bot of maintenance work at a local pub in Peterchurch where he lives. I don’t think Sonny Went is with us anymore. Both of those two characters who could tell a tale or two. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

If you speak to Cannonball, Dave, ask him if he remembers the night we “liberated” Sonny’s Dodge from a certain garage.

Retired Old ■■■■:
If you speak to Cannonball, Dave, ask him if he remembers the night we “liberated” Sonny’s Dodge from a certain garage.

Will do Casey, you didn’t go on holiday to Devon with him did you ? :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

A Daf CF bulk feed artic, seen on the A5 north of Shrewsbury.

A Scania artic with what looks like live poultry aboard, seen on the A5 north of Shrewsbury.

Dave the Renegade:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Will do Casey, you didn’t go on holiday to Devon with him did you ? :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Almost, Dave! Also narrowly missed a short break in Gloucester which was more or less mandatory for the Hereford “wide boys”.