Welsh Border and Mid Wales Hauliers 1950's onwards

One of Bayliss Brothers Scania artic tippers, seen by the A44 taking a break near Dunfield, Kington.

A MAN sip wagon, seen on the A4103 near Knighton, Radnorshire.

Two for the price of one,seen on the A49 near Dorrington, Shropshire.

A Volvo FM tanker, seen on the A49 at Marshbrook, Shropshire.

A MAN artic reefer, seen on the A49 near Church Stretton.

Daf CF six wheeler, seen on the A49 near Church Stretton.

A Scania bulk blower, seen on the A49 at Stapleton, Shropshire.

Dave the Renegade:

hello Dave that ERF looks like RHP from Telford . thank you Trevor

tastrucker:

Dave the Renegade:

hello Dave that ERF looks like RHP from Telford . thank you Trevor

Yes it was one of RHP’s Trevor. Nice to still see some ERF’s.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave and Keith, yes we did some work out of Hereford tiles at Withington remember it well, our yard and home was just down the road to Marden from the Small Ashes intersection with the road to Bodenham, operated there from 1968 till we left for New Zealand in December '72, before that we had a property at Venns Green just down the road a bit opposite Badhams Farm and next to Jenners Estate.

kingswinford kit:

Dave the Renegade:

B M Powell of Sutton St Nicholas, near Hereford ran these two and others.
Photo courtesy of Steve Powell.

There a blast from the past Dave ,can remember the Ford , but not the Guy . Did they not at one time haul out of Hereford tiles at Withington ? regards Keith

Hi Keith, sorry this is the only photo I have of any of our wagons as we had a house fire and lost some albums, this one was in my logbook holder and travelled everywhere with me although our drivers took heaps of photos back in the day, Bill Bow,Bill Cottle, Ken Strangward, Melvin Counsel, Pat Smith, Dan Ellis and Roger Pugh. So if anybody remembers these blokes or knows them it would be worth looking them up as I have lost contact with them but found Ken Strangward on Friends Reunited through his son Andrew a few years ago now and he was still around Leominster at that time. Jack Jones of Unicorn Transport and Charlie Owens and Ted Gillum and Russell Watkins who owned a few wagons trading as A.R.J. Transport were long time mates of my father as well as Harry Robinson(H.L. Robinson Rockfield rd Hereford) and his son Ken Robinson who I think is still alive and deals in property now and is somewhere around Ryelands Hereford according to the companies search.

Hi Steve,
I remember most of the firms you mention. All had tidy fleets, but all gone quite a few years ago. I remember H L Robinson’s wagons coming up to Kington bringing loads of animal feed from the docks to Passey Nott & Co warehouse at The Square,also Gammond’s who are still running transport. Sweetman’s were another Hereford haulage firm that occasionally hauled for them.
Cheers Dave.

A Scania six wheeler plant lorry, seen on the A49 near Hunger Hill, Shropshire.

A Mercedes rigid, seen on the A49 near Bayston Hill, Shropshire.

Steve Powell53:
Hi Keith, sorry this is the only photo I have of any of our wagons as we had a house fire and lost some albums, this one was in my logbook holder and travelled everywhere with me although our drivers took heaps of photos back in the day, Bill Bow,Bill Cottle, Ken Strangward, Melvin Counsel, Pat Smith, Dan Ellis and Roger Pugh. So if anybody remembers these blokes or knows them it would be worth looking them up as I have lost contact with them but found Ken Strangward on Friends Reunited through his son Andrew a few years ago now and he was still around Leominster at that time. Jack Jones of Unicorn Transport and Charlie Owens and Ted Gillum and Russell Watkins who owned a few wagons trading as A.R.J. Transport were long time mates of my father as well as Harry Robinson(H.L. Robinson Rockfield rd Hereford) and his son Ken Robinson who I think is still alive and deals in property now and is somewhere around Ryelands Hereford according to the companies search.

Hello Steve , thanks very much for your very interesting reply. iseem to remember your trucks at Withington . Hereford tiles had a couple of ERF 4 wheelers or were they yours ? .
H L Robinson, did a lot of steel and tin plate out of S Wales working along with TSP transport . Nice fleet of ERFs and Atkinsons , and not sure but they may have had a Scammell as well ? .
Any way Steve once again thanks for the reply regards Keith .

A Mercedes four wheeler curtainsider, seen on the A49 at Bayston Hill, Shropshire.

Hi Keith, yep they were ours, Robinsons in our day had mostly a mixed fleet, probably more ERF,s than anything else along with a couple of F86 Volvo,s and 2 Ergo,s one was a 2pedal Beaver and the other was a Clydesdale Albion, the four wheelers were all KM Bedfords and that would have been why thay bought a TM or two in later years, we did a lot of coils an tin plate work for them out of Ebbw Vale and Llanwern, were some good times as I remember and the old man was well known,Eddie Gammond had some different stuff back then, I remember an American International F1800 Loadstar, Mercedes 1418 bonneted one, Scammell Handyman, D1000 Ford among others, another operator we knew well was Fred Baldry from Orcop his wagons were F86 Volvo,s from memory and a dark browny red colour with cream signwriting.Good to be able to share memories. Cheers Steve.

kingswinford kit:

Steve Powell53:

Hello Steve , thanks very much for your very interesting reply. iseem to remember your trucks at Withington . Hereford tiles had a couple of ERF 4 wheelers or were they yours ? .
H L Robinson, did a lot of steel and tin plate out of S Wales working along with TSP transport . Nice fleet of ERFs and Atkinsons , and not sure but they may have had a Scammell as well ? .
Any way Steve once again thanks for the reply regards Keith .

Hi Dave, yep most of the stockfeed work was done with the KM Bedford four wheelers they had although I do remember going with Ken Hemmings one night to Avonmouth with the Leyland two pedal Beaver for a load out of Spillers I think it was, spent quite a bit of time with Robinsons drivers as the old man was not always home when my school holidays started and I was popular as I always helped roping and sheeting there is a photo of my handiwork that finished up in a Leyland publication taken at Beech,s Jam in Hereford. lol. Am really enjoying the memories we are sharing would be good if we could find some of our drivers from back then or some of their photos. Cheers Steve. you can take the boy out of Hereford but you can’t take Hereford out of the boy lol.

Dave the Renegade:
Hi Steve,
I remember most of the firms you mention. All had tidy fleets, but all gone quite a few years ago. I remember H L Robinson’s wagons coming up to Kington bringing loads of animal feed from the docks to Passey Nott & Co warehouse at The Square,also Gammond’s who are still running transport. Sweetman’s were another Hereford haulage firm that occasionally hauled for them.
Cheers Dave.

Steve Powell53:
Hi Dave, yep most of the stockfeed work was done with the KM Bedford four wheelers they had although I do remember going with Ken Hemmings one night to Avonmouth with the Leyland two pedal Beaver for a load out of Spillers I think it was, spent quite a bit of time with Robinsons drivers as the old man was not always home when my school holidays started and I was popular as I always helped roping and sheeting there is a photo of my handiwork that finished up in a Leyland publication taken at Beech,s Jam in Hereford. lol. Am really enjoying the memories we are sharing would be good if we could find some of our drivers from back then or some of their photos. Cheers Steve. you can take the boy out of Hereford but you can’t take Hereford out of the boy lol.

Dave the Renegade:
Hi Steve,
Cheers Dave.

Hi Steve,
H L Robinson’s wagons that came up to Kington to Passey Nott were usually ERF artic’s. I think they fetched feedstuff to Passey Nott Hereford depot as well. I drove a Bedford KM for Charlie Philpotts of Kington.
Cheers Dave.

A MAN artic reefer, seen, on the A49 at Bayston Hill, Shropshire.