Well written

Saw this on another forum a little while back. Not a bad read if you have a spare couple of minutes

Dear Motorist:

It may seem that I sit up here in the cab of my truck, looking out over the roof of your car, not paying any attention. The truth is I am always watching out for you. I’ve learned to see a slight movement of your head that tells me you are thinking of making a lane change. If we are approaching a junction or slip road, I try to anticipate your next action. I know when you are on the phone, eating, changing the station on your radio, talking to your passengers, or shouting at your kids in the back seat. I can usually tell when you are tired or impaired. I know when you’ve only got one hand on the steering wheel while the other is holding your phone as you tap out a text message (and of all the activities that get your attention, that one frightens me the most). I am keeping my eyes on you, all of you, all the time. I have no desire to cause injury to another human being and am well trained in doing whatever I can to prevent a collision, but I am only half of the equation.

Now I’d like to tell you some things about myself, so we can get better acquainted.

When my full sized artic is loaded it weighs anything upto 44 tons. If my truck were to land on you, it would be like dropping forty or fifty cars on your head. Since it takes four times the distance to stop my truck than it does your car, you can understand why I don’t like it when you cut in front of me. I am much bigger than you. I really need you to remember that when we are on the road together.

My truck is almost 65ft long. I can’t make any sharp turns, and I need extra space to go around a corner. I know you get impatient when I sit at a green traffic light, but I may be waiting to have enough room to make my turn without taking out a pole or running over another car. I always try to avoid starting a maneuver that I cannot safely finish, such as getting through a junction before the light changes to red. I wish it was easier, believe me, but there is nothing I can do to change the way it must be done.

I do wish my truck accelerated as fast as your car does so I could join a motorway or duel carriageway at 55mph instead of 45mph. I sometimes get very tired of having to go slowly up hills and around bends. I would love to drive faster and I wish there weren’t slower posted limits for trucks on B roads. But that’s how it is, and I have good reasons for wanting to obey the rules of gravity and the Law. Please be patient. I’m peddling as fast as I can!

The entire left side of my truck is a blind spot. And when you tailgate me, I can’t see you. As bad as all that is for me, it’s worse for you. Please don’t pass me on the inside, that’s just suicide; I usually drive in lane 1 and I may move in that direction when you are next to me. It also makes me nervous to have you close behind me because I know you can’t see what’s going on in front of me. If something happens that causes me to slow down, you may run into the crashbar, it is a very solid object. It was designed to prevent cars from sliding under trucks in rear-end collisions, because those drivers were being decapitated. That bumper does NOT give way. Trust me.

I try to pass you carefully and with plenty of clearance. It is perfectly okay for you to flash your headlights to let me know I have room to move back over. I may not always acknowledge it but I do appreciate it, especially at night, in bad weather, and in heavy traffic; sometimes that flash is all I can see. Please only pass me when you know you have plenty of room. We both have to slow down for roadworks. We both have to merge when lanes end. We both have to give emergency vehicles space. We both should be cautious of stalled motorists on the roadside. Because I’m bigger and wider and heavier, I must be more careful than you. Please give me room to make those changes. Don’t make me choose between your car and the crash barrier or road worker or the traffic cop or the man changing the tire on his van.

I spend much of my work day driving in unknown areas. I may have no idea where my delivery is, much less which street I need to turn on to get there. If I make a mistake, I might find myself trapped on a cul-de-sac in a residential area where I’m not supposed to take a truck in the first place. At the least, it will be a difficult situation to resolve; at worst I could cause damage to a building or a person as I try to get out. I prefer to drive slowly and get it right the first time. I know YOU know where I need to be but I can’t ask directions, and you honking your horn or gesturing isn’t making it any clearer. I’m not trying to be stupid or in your way. I’m trying to be careful.

I admit I’m not always driving at my best either. I may be tired, hungry, sick, or just wanting to get home. I may be thinking of my kids, worrying about my finances, mourning a loss, regretting the chili I had for lunch, or wondering which junction I need to take to get to my destination. I try to pay attention, to not get impatient, to be courteous to others, but sometimes being Human gets in the way. Please try be as aware of me as I am of you.

It will make both our travels easier and safer if you also pay attention to what I am doing. If I slow down, it may be because I can see something up ahead from my higher viewpoint. If our paths are about to cross as you merge onto a motorway, please either decrease or increase your speed so I don’t have to do it. You can slow and accelerate your car much faster than I can my truck. That also applies if I pull out to pass a slower vehicle in my lane; it will slow you down a bit if you let me in your lane, but it can grind my progress to a halt if you don’t. If I am merging right for what appears to be no reason, I may be trying to avoid a traffic jam or emergency vehicle or roadworks. If you follow me it will go much smoother; if you try to out-distance me, we will still meet up farther down the road and you will save nothing. Please pay attention to those signs that are directed at truck drivers. Be aware of a reduced truck speed limits, an approaching VOSA sites, and travel lane restrictions. I must make those adjustments every day. I don’t make the laws, but I am expected to obey them. I’m always trying to be cooperative, and appreciate the same effort from you.

As a truck driver, I make deliveries to your grocery shop, restaurant, shopping centre, hospital, car dealership, and every other place you visit in the course of your day. Sometimes I am there when you are trying to conduct your business, and I may be in your way. I apologize. I do not set the times for my arrival, my customer does. Just as you expect good service, so do they from me. You cannot walk into any establishment and find an item used for business that did not spend at least part of its journey on a truck. Please let me do my job so you can do yours.

Truck drivers are vital to the economy of this country. Without us, all commerce would come to a skidding halt within a week, probably much less than that. We aren’t being boastful because we know it’s the truth. We are proud of the role we have in making our country strong and giving our fellow citizens a good life. Please help us do our best for you.

We are out here together, you I.

Thank you,

It may be well written in your eyes but unfortunately it is far from the truth with a lot of drivers.

Blind spot right down the nearside! That sounds like some one that really does not know what they are talking about!
Not very well explained and certainly not well written.

Dr Damon:
It may be well written in your eyes but unfortunately it is far from the truth with a lot of drivers.

Blind spot right down the nearside! That sounds like some one that really does not know what they are talking about!

+1 I had the same thoughts.

Dr Damon:

I disagree, I think you’re reading it from an experienced truck drivers point of view. Try reading it from the point of view of a car driver that’s never given a second thought to the process of driving a truck.

Whenever I’ve had truck related conversations with non-truck driving friends I’ve always told them to treat the whole nearside of a truck as a blindspot. So many things can go wrong down there. The diver may not have his nearside mirrors set up particularly well, he may not be looking down there due to other distractions on the road. He may be an ■■■■■■■■ who doesn’t care.

I work on the principle of telling people to avoid the nearside wherever possible as it’s easier than trying to explain where exactly the blindspot will be as it can be different for every vehicle. I’m sure you know as well as I that the nearside blindspot can be virtually eliminated with careful setting up of the mirrors, but it still needs the driver to be paying attention and looking in them at the right time.

Why say you could be safe and seen in 75% of the blindspot area and only at risk in 25% (figures plucked out of the air for demonstration purposes) when surely it’s safer for all involved to just try and discourage driving down the nearside at all.

Tgtrucker:
, I think you’re reading it from an experienced truck drivers point of view

That ^^^^ was your only mistake mate, he rest of your post was quite good though.

It’s a bit long…

Winded as a mission statement. Most car drivers will have nodded off by the second paragraph if their attention span is the same as it is on the motorway.

I saw one years ago written in the dust on the back doors but have forgotten most of it.

Something along the lines of ‘to those car drivers who have cut me up, dithered at roundabouts, hung around in my blind spots, given me the finger at slips roads and nearly taken themselves out by drifting into me on motorways, I forgive you’.

Tgtrucker:

Dr Damon:

I disagree, I think you’re reading it from an experienced truck drivers point of view. Try reading it from the point of view of a car driver that’s never given a second thought to the process of driving a truck.

Whenever I’ve had truck related conversations with non-truck driving friends I’ve always told them to treat the whole nearside of a truck as a blindspot. So many things can go wrong down there. The diver may not have his nearside mirrors set up particularly well, he may not be looking down there due to other distractions on the road. He may be an [zb] who doesn’t care.

I work on the principle of telling people to avoid the nearside wherever possible as it’s easier than trying to explain where exactly the blindspot will be as it can be different for every vehicle. I’m sure you know as well as I that the nearside blindspot can be virtually eliminated with careful setting up of the mirrors, but it still needs the driver to be paying attention and looking in them at the right time.

Why say you could be safe and seen in 75% of the blindspot area and only at risk in 25% (figures plucked out of the air for demonstration purposes) when surely it’s safer for all involved to just try and discourage driving down the nearside at all.

I understand your points Tg but from what you say it sounds like you are putting the onus on others to make allowances for truck drivers.
Most car drivers are not interested in what a truck is doing they just want to get where they are going usually as quick as possible.

As a truck driver you should be making allowances for others. They are not the ones trained to drive a truck.
Some truck drivers do not seem to realise that and blame the poor car driver.

Regarding the blind spots again it is the responsibility of the truck driver to make sure there is nothing there before proceding another thing some do not seem to understand.

Casper68:
Saw this on another forum a little while back. Not a bad read if you have a spare couple of minutes…

It is a terrible read. It is worded in possibly the most condescending manner ever, and to make it even worse the writer is one of these deluded souls who thinks that (a)truck driving requires an enormous degree of skill, and (b)that the world would fall of its axis were it not for trucks, and trucks only.

It’s embarrassing, is what it is, and it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Dr Damon:

Tgtrucker:

Dr Damon:

Whenever I’ve had truck related conversations with non-truck driving friends I’ve always told them to treat the whole nearside of a truck as a blindspot. So many things can go wrong down there. The diver may not have his nearside mirrors set up particularly well, he may not be looking down there due to other distractions on the road. He may be an [zb] who doesn’t care.

I understand your points Tg but from what you say it sounds like you are putting the onus on others to make allowances for truck drivers.
Most car drivers are not interested in what a truck is doing they just want to get where they are going usually as quick as possible.

As a truck driver you should be making allowances for others. They are not the ones trained to drive a truck.

Regarding the blind spots again it is the responsibility of the truck driver to make sure there is nothing there before proceding another thing some do not seem to understand.

Actually all road users need to make allowances and have an understanding for others for both theirs and others safety, we’re all human we all make mistakes, but if somebody else makes allowances for it and reacts in a positive way then it just becomes a small error instead of a major incident, most major incidents are a chain of small events, it only takes one person to break that chain for it not to happen.
So while it is the responsibility of the truck driver to make sure they can see it’s clear before maneuvering, if a car driver, cyclists understands the risk of being in that area, they could avoid getting themselves into an incident. The same goes with truck drivers dealing with other road users, if we see and react to a situation unfolding ahead of us we can avoid it and avoid being part of a major incident.

Finally, I thought the opening piece was pretty poor as well.

Lol, well I thought it was a good read.

By the time the person reading this has got to the 2nd paragraph they’ve slammed into the back of the slowing truck as they where not paying attention to the road

is this not a bit of a rehash of an american thing i saw a couple of years ago
as a lot lot of thing come around and around on the web
not that i disagree with the sentiments

muckles:

Dr Damon:

Tgtrucker:

Dr Damon:

Actually all road users need to make allowances and have an understanding for others for both theirs and others safety, we’re all human we all make mistakes, but if somebody else makes allowances for it and reacts in a positive way then it just becomes a small error instead of a major incident, most major incidents are a chain of small events, it only takes one person to break that chain for it not to happen.
So while it is the responsibility of the truck driver to make sure they can see it’s clear before maneuvering, if a car driver, cyclists understands the risk of being in that area, they could avoid getting themselves into an incident. The same goes with truck drivers dealing with other road users, if we see and react to a situation unfolding ahead of us we can avoid it and avoid being part of a major incident.

Finally, I thought the opening piece was pretty poor as well.

I totally agree muckles but my point was that most car drivers do not understand
about the problems truck drivers encounter where as truck drivers should understand about car driving and take more care sometimes.

If I had my way all road users should spend a few hours on a bicycle, pillion on a motorbike, passenger in a truck and be shown a film of bodies being cut out of a car wreck.
They would then be given a certificate before being allowed anywhere near a car.

Oh and whilst I’m on the subject …a 3 year mandatory ban for using a mobile phone, drink or drugs, crossing a double white line or exceeding the speed limit by 20 mph.

Was reading this whilst driving up the M1, some of it i couldnt take in because i was watching a dvd, that was more exciting than the actual notice, plus the kids had their own dvd player in the back so they were arguing like crazy anyway because one was watching the others dvd…kids will be kids eh…

i started skimming through it before the end of the 1st paragraph…
it reads like something that carryfast,uk tramp,and dr damon would write together after having a good snugglecuddle session . :grimacing: