Well - would you?

Picture the scene…

driving down the motorway which has 6 lanes of traffic, not much traffic about, your in lane 2 and in lane 1 another truck has caught up with a slower moving truck in lane 1 and starts to indicate before you have passed them both, would you carry on passing both of them (slowly at that) blatantly ignoring his indicator or would you pull into lane 3 and contine your over take? lanes 3,4,5,6,7 are all clear, motorway very empty.

i witnessed it today was following a hansons truck and he ignored the indicator of the truck wanting to pull into his lane, before he had even started passing him. surely you would just pull into lane 3■■? so you could both pass even just our of courtesy?? or would you just stick it out and make that bar steward wait??

edit: to make it a bit clearer.

Personaly I would move out to lane 3 or even back it of and flash out truck in lane 2 let him/her clear. Truck in lane 1 and gobfor it once they was back in safely !

depends how many lanes there is on that section of motorway and also how much faster i was going than the other trucks, though i would probably back off and let them out.

no point in holding people up tbh and im never in a rush

I’d never pull into to lane 3. Your not allowed to do that so, why risk some points just to do some other guy a favor ? :unamused:

If I was still behind him, I’d let him out in front of me, but if I was halfway past him, then sod him, he’ll have to wait. :smiling_imp:

Secretelephant:
I’d never pull into to lane 3. Your not allowed to do that so, why risk some points just to do some other guy a favor ? :unamused:

on a 3 lane motorway yes, but in my scenario this particular motorway has 6 lanes…where you could legally use lane 5 if you really really wanted to just so long as its not the outside lane. :smiley:

Both are legal & will not inconvenience anyone else in your OP - lane 3 (of 6) or ease off to a safe distance - BUT the lane 3 option COULD be dicey if an incident occured and all three trucks were neck & neck as it does not give the middle truck anywhere to go.

The HC recommends that overtaking SHOULD be done as quickly as possible to prevent the above but with truck limiters that is not usually possible unless one or more are prepared to ease off - that is already being discussed in another thread.

Secretelephant:

If I was still behind him, I’d let him out in front of me, but if I was halfway past him, then sod him, he’ll have to wait. :smiling_imp:

This is my choice. I’d prefer to back off and let matey out, than pull over into lane 3 though. Discretion is the better part of ego!

I always try to help another trucker when i can so deffinitely move over and let him out

I’d pull into lane 3, if it is clear - being prepared to move to lane four if necessary and it is clear, and then either pass him and move back over to the left, all the way to lane 1 if I have cleared the vehicles in lane 1 in the process. If the vehicle I’ve moved over for has more speed than me and nips past me in lane 2 then I will wait until lane 2 is clear and move back to the left then. Job done, everybody rolling along nicely and no one dead. Sorted.

Cruise Control:
Picture the scene…

driving down the motorway which has 6 lanes of traffic, not much traffic about, your in lane 2 and in lane 1 another truck has caught up with a slower moving truck in lane 1 and starts to indicate before you have passed them both, would you carry on passing both of them (slowly at that) blatantly ignoring his indicator or would you pull into lane 3 and contine your over take? lanes 3,4,5,6,7 are all clear, motorway very empty…

Should have seen the speed differential between the trucks in lane 1 long before the following one started to indicate.In which case you’d have time to absolutely make sure that lane 3 was as clear as it appears to be before signalling and moving over leaving lane 2 clear for the wagon following the one in lane 1 to also have plenty of time to do the same BEFORE he signalled and moved out.But in general if it’s that late thet he’s already signalling before you decide wether to move over or not you’re in a possible situation of changing lanes when maybe it’s not safe to do so.

I would move over & give a fellow driver a helping hand, then I probably would’ve received no thanks & he would’ve matched my speed & left me hanging out to dry in lane three as is the usual practice in such a situation :cry:

newmercman:
I would move over & give a fellow driver a helping hand, then I probably would’ve received no thanks & he would’ve matched my speed & left me hanging out to dry in lane three as is the usual practice in such a situation :cry:

Because of this ^ I’d have stayed in lane 2 and left him there unless there was a significant speed difference between him and the one in front, in which case I’d move over a lane if legalities allowed. 9 times out of 10 you do them a favour and they just ignore/blank you/hang you out to dry so [zb] em. Them easing off the gas for 10 seconds til you’ve passed isn’t gonna hurt them.

newmercman:

Probably that’s just what would happen here with those zb zb zb limiters but not over there if you’ve got more under the hood than he’s got :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but if he’s running something faster then just watch the tail lights going into the distance and then return to lane 2 and job sorted. :smiley:

I would pull into lane 3 without hesitation, I can do 55mph so wouldn’t hesitate to let another truck make a bit of progress.

where is the 7 lane motorway in your scenario though, M6 3a? can be bloody chaotic down there at times, it’s like wacky races.

I don’t get an option to pull out going south as I’m usually loaded in my Hansons tipper and I wouldn’t want to back off or I’d lose my speed as I’m climbing the hill.

Carryfast:

newmercman:

Probably that’s just what would happen here with those zb zb zb limiters but not over there if you’ve got more under the hood than he’s got :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but if he’s running something faster then just watch the tail lights going into the distance and then return to lane 2 and job sorted. :smiley:

That doesn’t happen too often, the speedo on my old girl goes right around to ‘Made in Texas’ :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:

Carryfast:

newmercman:

That doesn’t happen too often, the speedo on my old girl goes right around to ‘Made in Texas’ :laughing: :laughing:

Do you wear a baseball cap, quilted check shirt and those cowboy boots with the silver tips ? - not a perve btw . . just curious :confused:

newmercman:

Carryfast:

newmercman:

Anyone over here who can’t remember running without limiters will never understand what it’s like to be able to just use the throttle pedal to sort out every eventuality :smiley:

I would pull out to let the other truck out 99% of the time unless it’s a situation where I’ve pulled out to overtake and the other truck has decided to speed up and leave me struggling to get past, then they come up on another truck that’s slower and wants me to help them out? Nah sorry I haven’t seen your indicator :smiling_imp:

Dont get me wrong I try to help make overtaking as easy as possible but it’s situations like that and the ‘no thanks’ attitude that makes me think I should just be a ignorant zb sometimes :confused:

Suedehead:

newmercman:

Carryfast:

newmercman:

Do you wear a baseball cap, quilted check shirt and those cowboy boots with the silver tips ? - not a perve btw . . just curious :confused:

No I don’t conform to the trucker stereotype at all, I do not & have never possessed a quilted check shirt & would not be seen dead in cowboy boots, I may drive like a cowboy, but I don’t look like one :wink: Anyway I only went that speed to have a picture to post on here when you lot were moaning about your speed limiters :laughing: I normally run at 64mph. For the record I’m wearing a pair of Abercrombie & Fitch jeans, (nice & cheap over here) the one’s that have the strategically placed holes, a faded out polo shirt & a pair of Adidas retro ‘sneekers’ I don’t usually wear a hat of any kind unless I’m having a bad hair day & then it’s a Yankees baseball cap & only until I get a shower & put my hair gel in :unamused:

this sort of thing happens all the time as you hit the climb on the m62, were your sandwiched between two lorry’s and the lanes are very very narrow and your sherriffs badge is giving it a twitch because the lorry your overtaking is a left ■■■■■■ and the lorry over taking you is an irish plated tipper… not the most comfortable place to have adverse cambers in the road with swaying trailers and feeling dizzy as you can only hold your breath for so long… then you reach the summit …and breathe…