Well that's all we need

eveningtimes.co.uk/news/call … .120469886
Automatically make motorists to blame unless they can prove otherwise? So reckless cyclists have even MORE reason not to even bother trying to be safe? What could possibly go wrong? :unamused:

The-Snowman:
Call for law change to protect cyclists | Glasgow Times
Automatically make motorists to blame unless they can prove otherwise? So reckless cyclists have even MORE reason not to even bother trying to be safe? What could possibly go wrong? :unamused:

They have a similar law in Holland apparently, and it covers all vehicles.

Well in that case, they should make cyclists complete a CBT like learner motorbike riders have to. Try to teach some of the cyclists some common sense! (“this big metal square looking thing is the back end of a lorry, it will probably move to the left or right soon so if you want to get around it, go on the path or go round opposite side of whichever way the lorry is turning to avoid injury or even gory death. Even more sensible thing to do is FREAKING WAIT! As you are cycling on the road, you should follow the laws of the road and NOT cycle through red lights, the wrong way of a one way street etc and show some ■■■■ respect”)

Scraggy88:
Well in that case, they should make cyclists complete a CBT like learner motorbike riders have to. Try to teach some of the cyclists some common sense! (“this big metal square looking thing is the back end of a lorry, it will probably move to the left or right soon so if you want to get around it, go on the path or go round opposite side of whichever way the lorry is turning to avoid injury or even gory death. Even more sensible thing to do is FREAKING WAIT! As you are cycling on the road, you should follow the laws of the road and NOT cycle through red lights, the wrong way of a one way street etc and show some ■■■■ respect”)

+1 surely they could only do this if cyclists had proper training? What happened to innocent till proven guilty?

Eddi:

Scraggy88:

+1 surely they could only do this if cyclists had proper training? What happened to innocent till proven guilty?

Innocent til proven guilty long gone are those days ask the Taxman,the Vat man,Department of Work and Pensions,and the police when it suits!

I am all for this, on these conditions.
1 All cycles have Registration Plates
2 All cycles are taxed
3 All cycles are MOTed
4 All riders are insured ( min fully comp)
5 All riders are licensed ( so points can be added)
6 All riders have a cpc

I was in traffic the other day A61 Chesterfield going towards the A38. I passed a cyclist twice :unamused: and at a set of lights I moved the trailer arse end to the left to stop him because I knew I would end up struggling to pass him again (43.980) he jumped on the pavement and crossed on the pelican and once over he went back on the road :imp: lights changed and again I had to pass him!! What got me is because of my weight I’m already holding people up behind me but need room and ‘safe’ space for him so can’t just go for it because of oncoming traffic :unamused:

Everyday driving but there should be some regulation regarding cyclists!

SWEDISH BLUE:
I am all for this, on these conditions.
1 All cycles have Registration Plates
2 All cycles are taxed
3 All cycles are MOTed
4 All riders are insured ( min fully comp)
5 All riders are licensed ( so points can be added)
6 All riders have a cpc

THIS!!! ^^^^

Number 4 DEFINETLY!!!

On the Jeremy vine show this week (I think)was some muppet who records all drivers and sends the videos into the police. When confronted by a caller about bad cyclists his response was " cyclists are not governed by the road traffic act".

The attitude he had said it all

simples make cyclists have a fully comprehensive insurance, they use roads same as car/bus/truck drivers do.

Was in a supermarket rifling through the mags as you do and picked up a cycling mag where one of the articles was about how it was OK to jump red lights cos it was a waste of time sitting if nothing was coming other way.He also said he only took care with pedestrians as they were the only people he was at risk of hurting.

The-Snowman:
Call for law change to protect cyclists | Glasgow Times

This is good news, because when it gets to this point they realise that no matter how many mirrors are on vehicles cyclists will still get killed.

The only cyclist last gasp perceived protection method is to make motorists totally to blame no matter what. But and its a big But this will not save cyclists lives, cyclists will still be killed until a lightbulb moment occurs that the only way for cyclists to save themselves and play by the rules that everyone else has too is by some form of accountability.

Not so much part of the problem just another step in the right direction of awakening for the cyclist community until they see that some of their flock are just so stupid that they are an accident waiting to happen and they will soon be wearing hi-viz vests with a unique number on so they are accountable for their actions.

When there is no accountability there can be no rules.

Anyone killed that magnatom yet? Now that will be a news worthy article :smiling_imp:

*T’is a joke if you’re reading ya big Lycra cladded jessie!

Oh more crap from moron cyclists that want laws changed… try getting them to abide by highway code and all of the suggestions by SWEDISH BLUE … then we wont have much of an issue…
The amount of cyclists that have never done anything such as a test is beyond me…and from what I’ve seen of the so called cycling proficiency done at the schools isn’t up to much at all, undertaken by under qualified people that think they can judge if someone is safe to ride on the roads…

Had an issue with a cyclist the other day,cyclist pulled out of a side road straight in front of me, if I hadn’t braked I would had taken him down…Dam it… then he proceeded to position himself in the middle of the lane but his style of riding was causing him to swing from side to side…cut the centre of a mini island, got by him eventually but this guy certainly had a death wish…or maybe he was one of the local layabouts hoping to get knocked off …ie Where there’s blame make a claim or have you been involved in a accident …

Should really get myself a dash cam to protect myself as something each week is happening involving a cyclist…

But what also amazes me whilst we are on this subject, why do councils spend £1000’s on building cycle lanes and yet these idiots still insist on using the road, or the pavements … surely the money could be put to better use like sorting out all these bloody pot holes …

weeto:
They have a similar law in Holland apparently, and it covers all vehicles.

Correct, and for pedestrians too. At a junction all traffic turning has to give way to cylists and pedestrians continuing straight on, it works, motorists there are a lot more careful when it comes to cyclists/pedestrians and it is rare to have one killed even with the vast amount of cyclists there.

Any accident is the automatic fault of the car/bus/lorry driver.

I think it is a great idea, give the more vulnerable road users the right of way, why not. It would prevent a lot of accidents and will make drivers more vigiliant if they know that they are automatically at fault.

How many tipper drivers will run over a cyclist in London if they know that they go straight to jail.

Similar proposals are being discussed in London too.

It more amazes me that they want to be classed as innocent in a collision yet resist all calls for them to be forced to abide by the rules. They want to be classed as blameless yet they are allowed to cycle on the road without having to prove they are safe to do so or even know what any road signs mean,let alone how to act.
I have no problem with cyclists in general but im not a big fan of being classed as at fault automatically. Under these proposals if im driving along and a cyclist shots out from a side street and I mow him down,if there are no witnesses then I get the blame. Loss of no claims bonus,possible fine and points and insurance premium hike. All caused by someone who hasn’t looked. Will be scary times.
While your right dipper dave,they will still get mown down and instead of a lightbulb moment,they will push for more and more regulations to hammer motorists and the like. We’ll all be driving around with foam covered vehicles before some cyclists will accept they maybe should be a bit more careful

The-Snowman:
They want to be classed as blameless yet they are allowed to cycle on the road without having to prove they are safe to do so or even know what any road signs mean,let alone how to act.

Same with pedestrians, you want a pedestrian license to walk on the street? We drive a 44 tonne hunk of steel, they don’t, they should be the ones protected. It works elsewhere in the world with great result, why not in the UK, we are a bit backwards here when it comes to protecting the most vulnerable road users.

It is not just Holland, they have the same in Scandanavia, I don’t know why the UK hasn’t adopted this yet. How many more cyclists need to be killed before we change the law here.

Eddi:
What happened to innocent till proven guilty?

That is exactly what is being proposed, the most vulnerable road user is innocent until proven guilty.

wheelnutt:
Correct, and for pedestrians too. At a junction all traffic turning has to give way to cylists and pedestrians continuing straight on, it works, motorists there are a lot more careful when it comes to cyclists/pedestrians and it is rare to have one killed even with the vast amount of cyclists there.

Any accident is the automatic fault of the car/bus/lorry driver.

I think it is a great idea, give the more vulnerable road users the right of way, why not. It would prevent a lot of accidents and will make drivers more vigiliant if they know that they are automatically at fault.

How many tipper drivers will run over a cyclist in London if they know that they go straight to jail. Similar proposals are being discussed in London too.

Yes maybe. But is making one set of road users blameless while the other gets all the flack regardless really a good idea? Most drivers only have a problem with cyclists because of the way they behave at present. Is making them blameless really going to make them behave better on the road? It may work well in other countries but they have much better road infrastructures than us,and im guessing more considerate and clued up cyclists.
How about this for an alternative. Would making the CYCLIST to blame in all instances maybe force them to abide by the laws? Because at present I only see them pick and choose what they want to abide by.

wheelnutt:
Same with pedestrians, you want a pedestrian license to walk on the street? We drive a 44 tonne hunk of steel, they don’t, they should be the ones protected. It works elsewhere in the world with great result, why not in the UK, we are a bit backwards here when it comes to protecting the most vulnerable road users.

Pedestrians dont walk on the street,they walk on the pavement. I dont drive my “44 tonne hunk of steel” on the pavement. And 99.9% of pedestrians know to look before crossing the road. They mave have right of way,but they still look. They generally wander out without looking absentmidedly. Its very rarely a total disregard for their own safety
If I run down a cyclist(or pedestrian) and its my fault then I will accept all the consequences that come my way. My only problem with this proposal is that if it isnt my fault and I have no witness then im given the full blame and the one at fault gets off scot free. Im all for offering cyclists protection but until they have to prove they have any kind of road sense or how to act then I fail to see how they can be given more carte blanche