Well Boss....

madmackem:

scoobyears:
Through the bush telegraph
it appears the LMI was incorrectly set, from the aerial shot you can see the slung load resting on a roof with the
trolly still not at full outreach

It happens a lot out here :unamused: :unamused:

For those of us not crane operators, what is a LMI and how do you set it up wrong?

LMI = load moment indicator, alerts the crane operator that the load is at, or about to exceed the safe working range of the crane…
the crane settings and setup information (installed counterweight, outrigger position, falls of rope, working limits, etc. must all be inputted correctly into the LMI so it can then give you the correct information, i.e. capacities & capabilities at different radii, heights, etc.

don’t put the right info in, then it will give incorrect info back to you, and you can then very easily go into overload situation without any visual or audible warning at all and over you go… also it can be overridden but you may as well kiss your ■■■ goodbye in that mode !!
That is a truck mounted tower crane, very clever and useful piece of kit but like all cranes it must be operated within its
manufactured design limitations, failure to do so and there is the result

All crane accidents can be attributed to human error somewhere in the ensuing investigation… fact. :frowning:

Unlike incidents involving trucks where most are attributed to mechanical failure.

Usually caused by the big nut behind the steering wheel.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Dimlaith:
I’m no expert on cranes,but, there seems to no counter weights on that crane at all.

Anchored to the weights on the crane itself