Welcome Break Begging For Money

Have you been bothered at work for this years charidee tv boreathon? I’ve used Oxford Services twice this week and been asked “would you like to support children in need?”
Both times I told them, “I already do, I have a young son to spend money on.”
Anyone else been badgered for money at MSAs or at work?

I have 4 kids and Barnados came round asking for a donation- my only reply was ’ here take two of mine’ now bugger off…

Luckily I have the type of face that people tend to avoid, never get asked for cash, my opinion or anything else, even the big issue sellers don’t ask. My misses think its the only thing I’m useful for.

Bought a coffee at Michael Wood the other day and was asked if I’d like to make a donation via the till. So I did.

Slackbladder:
Luckily I have the type of face that people tend to avoid,

+1…sorry I’m not interested( politely) seems to work well for me, I also avoid MSAs, high streets etc…

Yea I was asked if if I wanted to contribute last week , not a problem . It’s not like your signing up to anything :unamused:

Cheers mike

Last year i had a numpty dressed as a bear stand infront of me in nottingham, hes pals were begging , i told him to ■■■■ off or i would run him over ,

I never give when they push it in your face.

i always give to children in need,usually phone up and donate-i dont like being accosted in the street.

I was in Gordano last night, I didn’t get pestered for money but did notice the big cheque type poster on the wall that proclaimed they raised £11,000 for CIN last year which I thought was impressive.

I’m not a huge fan of children in need, though I frequently donate to other charities.

Chris Evans and Simon Cowell asking me to donate money just seems wrong!

I gave the first year of Comic Relief. I was delivering to an Army Base somewhere (might have been Catterick - I can’t remember), drove around a corner and came across a tomato carrying a rifle! He got as much money as I could find in the cab, I can tell you :open_mouth:

Slackbladder:
Luckily I have the type of face that people tend to avoid, never get asked for cash, my opinion or anything else, even the big issue sellers don’t ask. My misses think its the only thing I’m useful for.

When you’re on holiday in Spain, do the bank security guards un-pop their holsters when you walk in the door? :smiley:

I gave to the Philippines cause just recently via DEC. Apart from the RNLI I don’t give to any of these £x per month charities. I only ever signed up to one,and they forever sent me appeals etc. by post, email etc. for whatever project or crusade they were on. I realised how much of the money I gave was probably going towards Oxfam’s marketing budget so cancelled. The RNLI send me a magazine a couple of times a year and also send me their Christmas catalogue with RNLI merchanise for purchase, along with a form to buy tickets for their annual members lottery. This is all I hear from the for the entire year, and they have never asked for an increase in donation, and it’s easy to see the work they do both in the magazines and in the papers, on TV etc. in real life. I still give to other charities when I can, especially RBL and my local hospice. I don’t seem to get accosted by people with the tins so much, the people that wind me up are the direct debit charity people and those that try to rope you into buying something that will ‘help a local charity’, yet the booklet their selling says ‘Registered Company xxxxxx’ on it?!?!?!

And they always stand around the entrance to banks. Are they hoping you’ll go in and draw some money out specially?

When I die I’d like some money toget to the RNLI, one of the most worthwhile causes IMHO. Apolitical, which for me is very important. RBL too.

I feel a lot of charities have some axe to grind. I know a bloke who used to work in a call centre, his sole job was to ring up people already giving to charities to see if they would like to increase their donation by a couple of quid a month. Next year, a bit more etc etc. Apparently he was very good at it.

I hear stories about the RSPCA which have influenced my decision to never donate to them. I’m not too keen on religious charities either, like those with a Christian background for instance. Someone once said to me “what if you’re in need of help and aren’t Christian…” :laughing:

I’ll wish the best of luck to most charities, I don’t however support those who employ those aggressive hawkers in green jackets etc who single you out in town.

I once told someone “sorry mate I can’t afford it”, to which he replied “Why not?!” :imp: :unamused:

I did used to collect for the St John Ambulance when I was a member, no direct debits, just with a tin. It was a bit like begging, but without it my unit couldn’t have afforded a defibrillator or anything else really. It was very passive and any donation was appreciated.

It’s amazing the amount of people who assumed we were paid for our work at country shows etc, the UNIT was paid, but we obviously gave up our Sundays etc for free.

The worse I have ever heard was when a bloke was collecting in a pub for those who had served in the Merchant Navy ( can’t actually remember the name of the charity); some dumb ■■■■ said to him “What have they ever done for me?!”

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I folded my donation to the chap and made sure matey boy saw it :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

I once put on a John Major voice and asked if the charity was tax and vat registered. Before the young man with the collecting tin answered I then told him that I was an undercover tax inspector who would love to donate but I was currently following somebody who had contravened section 7.5 of the misuse of funding law (or some similar type bollox) The young man asked simebody else for a donation and I went merrily on my way.
I have 2 standing orders that pay monthly to 2 charities of my choice…the street collectors can sod off!

bazza123:
The worse I have ever heard was when a bloke was collecting in a pub for those who had served in the Merchant Navy ( can’t actually remember the name of the charity); some dumb [zb] said to him “What have they ever done for me?!”

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I folded my donation to the chap and made sure matey boy saw it :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

Probably the ‘Mission to Seamen’ or the Flying Angel. Don’t know if anyone remember the TV program about the Padre on HMS Ocean, the Rev Mike Brotherton but he started at the ‘mish’ in Rotterdam, he used to board my ship I had at the time and head straight for my duty free store and he knew where I kept the good stuff :cry: Grand chap all the same.

It would have been in about 2003.

I think people forget about PQ17 and the others. We’re still moving a hell of a lot by sea now aren’t we, although our own flagged vessels have dropped considerably in number haven’t they?

Arctic convoys, the worst there was. The number of British flag vessels is increasing but the number of British crews that man them are diminishing quicker, at one time British ships had at least the officers who were British but (sorry Orys, but it’s a fact) the east europeans are taking over 'cos they can afford to work for less (when they’re sober that is :wink: ) and as long as they hold a certificate that’s considered equivalent to a real British one they get the job. Economics ■■?
Apologies for going off thread.